Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR10 Fitment help

I initially bought an AR15.

Didn't like the factory Pistol Grip. Bought a BCM Gunfighter and it helped my trigger control a lot.
    I wear a 2X Glove. Need more length between back of grip and trigger.
    We swapped in a CMC trigger man that was cats meow!!

Well I wanted a bigger cartridge for Pigs. Don't like tracking then at night.
    I traded it towards a DPMS Oracle AR10 in .308.

First thing we did was swap the pistol grip for my BCM Gunfighter and put a Black Rain Ordinace curved trigger in it.

Mounted a Vortex Voter HST 6-24X50 in Seekins Precision Rings.

It's mounted just about as far forward as it can be. Still not quite enough be eye relief. I put a Limbsaver recoil pad on it, gave me about an additional .75”.
    That helped but the buttstock made a bunch of noise. So I swapped it for a Fan Defense GL Core. It's quieter but I still struggle with the sight picture. Maybe my LOP is off.

I recently swapped out my BCM Gunfighter group for a Magpul MOE grip.
    It feels better, sometimes..

It doesn't feel as balanced in my have as my Savage BVSS or my AR15. The Savage is a 12# rifle.

All told I've got about 50 rds through it.
    I want to love it, but I don't.

Anyone else have these issues?
    And how did you solve them?

Sounds like you need a cantilever scope mount.

Comment

Cantilever mount will put the scope where it needs to be. My experience is that I’ve never been happy with the balance on an AR10 compared to an AR15

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobyh View Post
        Sounds like you need a cantilever scope mount.
        Originally posted by tommy1005 View Post
        Cantilever mount will put the scope where it needs to be. My experience is that I’ve never been happy with the balance on an AR10 compared to an AR15
        I'd like to try but these rings was $150 and the scope was $650.

What will a cantilever do that these rings won't?

My other dilemma is I want a thermal.
        If I can't get a scope setup right I'm worried I won't get the thermal setup and it'll be a huge waste of money.
        If I ever decide which thermal I want I'll probably end up selling my Vortex to help offset the cost or get a better Thermal.
        If it doesn't work out I'm out a scope and back at square one......

Comment

Cantilever will mount to the receiver and put the scope an inch or 2 further forward. I tried normal rings on one recently and couldn’t ever get it to shoot right, then made the change to the cantilever setup and now it shoots great and the eye relied is spot on. Something like this should be about right. You can spend a lot more than the swfa stuff, but I’m not sure more is really needed.

SWFA is an optics manufacturing specializing in rifle scopes built for tactical, hunting, and long range shooting known for quality and precision optics.

Comment

Yes sir, you need a cantilever mount. If you want a high quality one since you are coming off of Seekins, look at the Larue mounts. You can get these with a regular mount or a Quick-Detach system that is guaranteed to hold zero.

Comment

Originally posted by tommy1005 View Post
              Cantilever will mount to the receiver and put the scope an inch or 2 further forward. I tried normal rings on one recently and couldn’t ever get it to shoot right, then made the change to the cantilever setup and now it shoots great and the eye relied is spot on. Something like this should be about right. You can spend a lot more than the swfa stuff, but I’m not sure more is really needed.

https://swfa.com/swfa-s-s-a-l-t-30mm-scope-mount.html
              X2, I had the same fight. Here is a picture of my ar10 setup with a Burris PEPR mount.
              Attached Files

Comment

Yep, sounds like you need a cantilever mount, based on your description. That said, I only own one cantilever scope mount out of 7 AR style rifles and it’s on a SBR that I wanted to keep as compact as possible and I shoot with the stock all but completely collapsed. I’ve never seen a AR that I couldn’t extend the stock far enough to get enough eye relief with a scope mounted in traditional rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here's a picture of it.
                  Here's me and my wife for my height reference.
                  @sambo73 is shorter than she is

Comment

Looks like you can get another 3/4” forward on that. Move that front ring to the last slot, even if it hangs over a tiny bit. Then move the back ring to match after you figure out how far forward you can get.

Comment

I use the aero precision ultralight spr mount on every single one of my ar platform guns.. it is awesome and you can find deals on it online

Comment

Originally posted by rosco11 View Post
                        I use the aero precision ultralight spr mount on every single one of my ar platform guns.. it is awesome and you can find deals on it online
                        Do you need to lap it?

Comment

Nope.. i set it up to do it and it was that good before i started.. i lapped the first one i have because i got the lapping kit and wanted to use it.. but i think i have 3 others that also didnt need it and they are perfect
                          Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                          Do you need to lap it?

Comment

Get a cantilever mount and a magpul prs stock that will give you about 3/4 - 1” more LOP. They take a lot of getting used to. Also swap that hand guard out with a free floating one and that will help with accuracy.

Comment

Working...
                            X