DIY Feeder Varmint Plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shane View Post
    Can a coon still reach into the space between the 2 plates where the motor bracket is and get to the spinner? Looks like it might be a possibility, but maybe the spring-loaded spinner will keep them shut out anyway.
    I think this will be more difficult for a coon to reach the spinner than say the bolt on cages.

The cages give a Coon something to hang-onto with their back legs while they are reaching through the holes.

This plate design doesn't give them anything to hold onto with their back legs while they are reaching for the spinner plate. They would have to hold on with one front leg and reach with the other, all the wile their fat *** is dangling.

The spring loaded spinner plate is added security for all vermin but more directed towards birds.

Total distance to spinner plate is like 11 Inches.

Comment

I did something similar several years ago . Made these out if aluminum, they seem to work ok.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
        I did something similar several years ago . Made these out if aluminum, they seem to work ok.

looks great!

Can you define "they seem to work ok"?

Do you happen to remember the diameter of the plate?

Comment

Originally posted by Arrow Slinger View Post
          Will the corn stack up enough to cause any problems on top of the plate? Looks to be a great idea. Kicking it around myself.
          Looking at it, I'm thinking if you went in the dimensions of the timer box and broke the plates at like a 15 deg angle on all four sides, (would obviously have to splice the plates to get them to break over properly) all the corn should roll down and you wouldn't have to worry about build up, moisture or clogs.

Should also make it harder for the little masked bandits to perch up there too.

I really love this idea and think it's 1,000 times better than any cage I have ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by JBizkit View Post
            Looking at it, I'm thinking if you went in the dimensions of the timer box and broke the plates at like a 15 deg angle on all four sides, (would obviously have to splice the plates to get them to break over properly) all the corn should roll down and you wouldn't have to worry about build up, moisture or clogs.

Should also make it harder for the little masked bandits to perch up there too.

I really love this idea and think it's 1,000 times better than any cage I have ever seen.
            Good idea, cut a square out of a barrel lid, weld or screw L bracket to lid, the screw to timer box.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
              Can a coon still reach into the space between the 2 plates where the motor bracket is and get to the spinner? Looks like it might be a possibility, but maybe the spring-loaded spinner will keep them shut out anyway.
              Love the idea...been toying with it myself for about a year. My concern is like Shane's...and not just for the coons, but the squirrels. I have as many (if not more) issues with them as with the coons. I think the gap needs to be closer to an inch.

I hope you put a trail camera on it and post some pics. Good luck!!

Comment

Video

I'm very happy with how this turned out.

I adjusted the spinner/timer box a little more after taking this picture so that the timer box is flush with the plate.

The corn doesnt throw quite as far but it is perfect for me, keeps all the corn in my feed pen.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by HainesNYT View Post
                  Love the idea...been toying with it myself for about a year. My concern is like Shane's...and not just for the coons, but the squirrels. I have as many (if not more) issues with them as with the coons. I think the gap needs to be closer to an inch.

I hope you put a trail camera on it and post some pics. Good luck!!

If squirrels penetrate this design I will add a single strand to wire and wrap it around each post.

Or I will add a thin piece of metal between the posts holding the plate. secure with two nuts per post.

Comment

ballgame- the video link doesn't work, just a heads up

Comment

Great idea

Comment

If you use a diamond shape spin plate, it will sling the corn in a set up like this. I can't see video but the spin plate you have, pushes the corn up and out, you need it to spin to the sides pararell to the bottom of feeder, the diamond plate will do that.

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                          ballgame- the video link doesn't work, just a heads up
                          Just tried it on my phone, worked for me.

Last edited by ballgame; 08-14-2017, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X