Hunting Nilgai at Laguna Atascosa NWR...questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting Nilgai at Laguna Atascosa NWR...questions

After seeing the threads about Nilgai & hunting down at Laguna Atascosa ... I really want to go after them and see that the draw hunts have 750 positions open for 3 hunts...for the archery hunts.

250 hunters per hunt...that sounds like a lot...a whole lot of folks.

Question for the folks who have been hunting down there... with that many folks, are they walking on top of each other? Is there that much huntable area that it is not crowded?

Is the TENIENTE area any better...or just different?

I know the hunts are really physically demanding...which may be an issue, with a bad hip/back... but my stubburnish will prevail...but gotta get drawn first.

It can get really crowded if you stay by the main road. The times I have been the weather pushed a lot of people away.

Comment

I may have a mobility impairedment issue andwil get a permannent blue handicapped placard. Won't use it in the city where I can use my specially built shoes. Just can't use the lifted shoes in rough areas. will twist an ankle bad

it will all work out somehow.

Comment

Do you have to haul animal out on foot if lucky enough to get one? I would assume youd wand a good cart.

Comment

I’ve hunted there a couple times. Getting in bow range is tough because they spot you a mile away. You do have to carry out the animal yourself. The other hunters aren’t to bad if you go in far enough.

Comment

I hunted the teniente tract last year and it was awesome. It was the archery deer hunt. I was unsuccessful but the Nilgai and whitetail are thick, i just didnt connect.

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
              Do you have to haul animal out on foot if lucky enough to get one? I would assume youd wand a good cart.

I’m sorry did you say something? I didn’t see anything after your avatar pic

Comment

Originally posted by mhunter6 View Post
                I hunted the teniente tract last year and it was awesome. It was the archery deer hunt. I was unsuccessful but the Nilgai and whitetail are thick, i just didnt connect.
                How big is Teniente ? From what I have gathered, it is pretty thick.

Comment

If you are talking hunting them during the archery hunts there's plenty of room as they open up more units for those hunts than the rifle hunts. Also, not everyone shows up.
                  As far as the mobility issue, I would call the refuge and ask them. I pretty sure they will work with you.
                  Last edited by SneakyPhil; 07-06-2018, 09:49 PM. Reason: .

Comment

Working...
                  X