Portable Inverter Generators???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portable Inverter Generators???

Does anyone use these for a camper/travel trailer?

I've got a 28' travel trailer and no electricity at the lease.

From what I understand, these things are pretty nice, and much quieter and more efficient than a regular generator.

I'm trying to figure out which size I need. I've been looking at this one...

But want to make sure that it's got enough juice to run the AC (13,500 i think) and TV/radio at the same time.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

This might help you calculate what size you need . http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/elec...calculator.htm

Comment

It takes about 2750watts to startup and then about 1250 watts to run a 13,500 btu AC. On my travel trailer I use a EU 2000i and a EU 2000 hooked together. If I'm not going to be using the AC, I just run one of them.

Comment

Not sure on size, but if that Honda in the link will work, I have a Champion 3100w that would work for 1/3 of the price. It is in the classifieds. It is quiet and very efficient, only used a handful of times.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
          It takes about 2750watts to startup and then about 1250 watts to run a 13,500 btu AC. On my travel trailer I use a EU 2000i and a EU 2000 hooked together. If I'm not going to be using the AC, I just run one of them.
          Ditto

Comment

Check the current rating of the input power plug/cord. A typical 28 ft. travel trailer has a 30A RV plug. If that's true, you'll need a minimum 3.6kW steady state with a 5.5 or 6kW surge, depending on the A/C inrush.

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies. I appreciate it. Not quite what I was hoping for, but what I was thinking. Sure do appreciate it.

Below, is accurate with the camper I have.

Originally posted by Ødin View Post
              Check the current rating of the input power plug/cord. A typical 28 ft. travel trailer has a 30A RV plug. If that's true, you'll need a minimum 3.6kW steady state with a 5.5 or 6kW surge, depending on the A/C inrush.

Comment

More than enough. May have to be careful if AC is on and you run the microwave.

My Fleetwood has an 8K genset. I can run both ACs, the electric water heater, and microwave before starting to really load the generator.
                Last edited by 41Chevy; 12-14-2015, 02:16 PM.

Comment

I use a 6250 with no problems and it runs all night with the A/C on high.

Comment

Originally posted by 41Chevy View Post
                    More than enough. May have to be careful if AC is on and you run the microwave.

My Fleetwood has an 8K genset. I can run both ACs, the electric water heater, and microwave before starting to really load the generator.
                    How much is more than enough?

Comment

Originally posted by Mud Shark View Post
                      How much is more than enough?
                      The gen you are looking at.

Comment

Originally posted by 41Chevy View Post
                        The gen you are looking at.

Roger that. Thank you.

Comment

Do this ^^^
                          The 2000i are much lighter and easier to move and you can buy 2 of them for the same price as the 3000i and youll have more power.

I run a single 2000i at our place and it is great, it will run my 6000 BTU Window unit easily. I know it will run up to a 10,000 BTU

Comment

If going the 2k watt inverter route, consider the new General iq2000. It's had rave reviews and is $300 less than a Honda.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                              Do this ^^^
                              The 2000i are much lighter and easier to move and you can buy 2 of them for the same price as the 3000i and youll have more power.

I run a single 2000i at our place and it is great, it will run my 6000 BTU Window unit easily. I know it will run up to a 10,000 BTU
                              Could I do this with the Generac mentioned below, or would one need to be an inverter and another one regular?

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                              If going the 2k watt inverter route, consider the new General iq2000. It's had rave reviews and is $300 less than a Honda.
                              Generac makes great stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X