Same wood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same wood?

We are putting in neEw floors and refinishing old ones. The contractor says that our old ones are red oak

The two pics are of the old and new wiped with water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same wood?

They both look like red oak to me. That being said there is a test if there is any question that can be bought. Older red oak floors were less red and typically had a tighter grain than what is available today. Pm me if you have any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like the grain patterns match up

No idea why they look different

My guess is stain and/or wax

Comment

They are both red oak. Looks great!

Comment

Your existing floors are white oak.

Comment

The existing looks like face sawn and the new look like quarter sawn, not sure if one is red oak or white oak.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
              The existing looks like face sawn and the new look like quarter sawn, not sure if one is red oak or white oak.

Face dawn vs quarter sawn

Will it match

Comment

look at the ends of the planks, tyloses in the pores= white oak
                Pores are open =red oak

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post
                  Face dawn vs quarter sawn

Will it match
                  No, it will not match.

See on your existing floors, you have the wide "bands" of black, and on the new floors you don't see that. They could both be white ok or red oak, but how they saw the wood determines the pattern or look.

What you have are two different saw patterns. I would ask them to change it and go with face sawn, at least get a test piece.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                    No, it will not match.

See on your existing floors, you have the wide "bands" of black, and on the new floors you don't see that. They could both be white ok or red oak, but how they saw the wood determines the pattern or look.

What you have are two different saw patterns. I would ask them to change it and go with face sawn, at least get a test piece.
                    I guess the same place that he got these would have the other cut

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post
                      I guess the same place that he got these would have the other cut
                      If you know where he got it from, I would go there with those pictures and ask them to match it. Cut out the middle man, reduces chances for confusion.

Comment

Working...
                      X