Custom home problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom home problems

Currently my wife and I are trying to wrap up our first home build and it’s not going so good. We have had several issues with our builder making mistakes and then not wanting to fix them. All of the mistakes so far were clearly outlined in our plans and each time the builder would try and find some excuse to not fix the issue. They have fixed most of the issues but this past Sunday they realized that power was never ran for our jacuzzi tub in the master bathroom, so I say ok fix it. Monday I get the text in the picture say they want me to pay 1,800 for their screw up. I was livid! I thought back on the building process and when we did our electrical plans we did not have our tub in yet, but within less than a week I had the tub in and took pictures of the electrical connections, water connections, and drain piping so they could have an idea of what was needed. I even specifically took a picture of the power and wiring diagram and send all this to the builder. Basically they are saying it wasn’t in the electrical plan so they aren’t fixing it. But there’s more they also missed 3 outlets on the front of the house for landscape lighting, so no one ever double checked anything! They even admit to getting and seeing the pictures but claim “it’s not our fault you didn’t mention the power supply”. Your a custom home builder do I need to hold you by the hand?!

So what would you do, and do I have any options here?
    Attached Files

PM sent

Comment

Forgot to mention they gave me two options. 1 pay for it and them fix it or 2 close on the house with the tub unfinished and then hire someone to do it for me.

Comment

you would owe them what it would have cost to run it, back when they should have run it, not now.

clear as mud?

the big problem is that now they can charge you whatever they want, since you didn't use a change order agreement back then.....

Honestly, I'd probably hire someone else and back charge them for the amount of the error.

Comment

Originally posted by CSanders View Post
          Forgot to mention they gave me two options. 1 pay for it and them fix it or 2 close on the house with the tub unfinished and then hire someone to do it for me.

Terrible idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
            you would owe them what it would have cost to run it, back when they should have run it, not now.

clear as mud?

the big problem is that now they can charge you whatever they want, since you didn't use a change order agreement back then.....

Honestly, I'd probably hire someone else and back charge them for the amount of the error.
            I would have no problem with that, but they want to charge me to tear out sheetrock, run wire, fix sheetrock, and repaint. We did have it in our plans to have the freestanding tub, they knew all about it had pictures, the installation instructions and have even had the tub for 3 or 4 months.
            Last edited by CSanders; 11-06-2018, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
              Terrible idea.
              That’s what I’m leaning toward if I can’t figure out another option. At this point I don’t want them fixing it because it’ll be a rush job and look like crap.

Comment

Builder is at fault.

Comment

A good electrician with a fish tape can probably fix it without tearing out sheetrock.

Comment

I would have no problem with that, but they want to charge me to tear out sheetrock, run wire, fix sheetrock, and repaint. We did have it in our plans to have the freestanding tub, they knew all about it had pictures, the installation instructions and have even had the tub for 3 or 4 months.
                    so.....was it was in the plans or not ?

shoot or no shoot?

Comment

I would make them accountable for anything on the drawings. We don’t let our GCs get away with anything that is in the plan if missed. If it is in the plans, they are heald accountable.

Comment

That’s what I’m leaning toward if I can’t figure out another option. At this point I don’t want them fixing it because it’ll be a rush job and look like crap.
                        I would try to work out something with your guy.

Say you hire someone else and they come in and do whats needed and they flip the switch and the tub won't run. Or if they crack the tub. Your guy won't touch it because its your guys fault now and more than likely your guy will ghost you for a job that's really not too much money.

Whatever you decide to do make sure its running properly before you close.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                          so.....was it was in the plans or not ?

shoot or no shoot?
                          Electrical outlet in the electrical plan no, did they know days after sit down electrical plan red line meeting that power was needed yes.

Comment

With year end right around the corner just tell them you're not closing until its fixed on their dime. Tell them the same goes for the exterior outlets they missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
                              With year end right around the corner just tell them you're not closing until its fixed on their dime. Tell them the same goes for the exterior outlets they missed.
                              I wish it was that easy but we need to move.

Comment

Working...
                              X