Aged Wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aged Wood

I am planning to build a wood fence around my propane tank to hide it and would prefer to have some old barn wood to have the aged look. I know this is hard to come by so I did a little searching and found this:

Forcibly Aging Wood: Do you like the look of old, weathered wood but just don't have the 10 years to wait? Do it quickly with simple household items; don't wait, do it now! Ingredients: - Black Tea - Vinegar - A brush - some steel (steel wool, old rusty nails....) (*…

Looks like a good option, will be trying it this Winter. First thing I need to do is have my tank lifted, its settled and the tank itself is just about touching the ground.

Anyway, thought others could benefit from this.

Found this for the hippies:

Tall Earth Weathered Wood Finish is ideal for creating an aged driftwood appearance for wood projects: Furniture, Crafts, Curios, Carvings, Frames, and more! Similar to Eco-Safe Wood Treatment, this formula enhances and deepens stain effect. Weathered Wood Finish provides protection against rot, moss, mold, and fungus.
    Last edited by JES; 09-24-2015, 10:13 AM.

I did a hand scraped white oak mantel for a customer and used the vinegar/steel wool mixture. It turned the white oak nearly black.

Comment

Did this one in my son's room. Those are brand new planks.

I used apple cider vinegar with steel wool sitting in it until the fluid turned a rusty color. I then brushed it on and let it sit for 30 minutes. After the smell dissipated I hung it up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0788.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	24405311

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
        I did a hand scraped white oak mantel for a customer and used the vinegar/steel wool mixture. It turned the white oak nearly black.
        My neighbor next-door just had a bunch of cedar shingles aged and I think he said he did something along these lines.

Comment

Find somebody replacing their old wood fence and use that. All of the picture frames and crafty things with the old barnwood look are just fence pickets.

Comment

Originally posted by elkaholic9292 View Post
            Find somebody replacing their old wood fence and use that. All of the picture frames and crafty things with the old barnwood look are just fence pickets.
            I want something more sturdy, agree that fence pickets are used for that stuff, but not what I need for my project.

Comment

Home Depot sells a grey stain. I tried the tea thing and didn't get the that I wanted. I think the grey stain is water based(don't quote me on that). But I remember painting on two coats and getting the old fence picket color I wanted. The only thing I didn't like was you couldn't see grain like old fence pickets. Since I was going to put paint on them anyways I used a black paint thinned out and just lightly went over the grain to make is pop.

Comment

I used the vinegar and steel wool solution on a cedar fence picket as a test--turned it a dark chocolate brown. I had it leaning up against a tree, and the backside wasn't nearly as dark until it was exposed to the sun, then it darkened to match the other side.

Comment

Working...
                X