No announcement yet.

Converting a van for overnight hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nix the wood stove idea and go with a big buddy heater...1000 times safer in the van.

Comment

Stove-very bad idea!

Big buddy heater is the way to go, and you can put the tank outside. You still need ventilation though, to bring in combustion air. The buddy heaters have an ODS, but I'd still make sure to get them a little air.

Comment

just start the van up and run the heater....
        If you add bunks, have them fold up towards the sides....

Comment

I would find a way to mount a fold out bed on the inside of the van. That way you have a bed, but it could be folded up to keep out of the way in the tight quarters of the van interior. Fire + Gasoline engine van sounds like a REALLY bad idea to me

Comment

I smell a 4x4 conversion!

And an A-Team paint job!
            Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
            l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
            ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

like this
              Last edited by OLIVER65; 03-14-2009, 11:06 AM.

Comment

I had the same idea a few years ago, get a 150 dollar futon, and slide it in, it'll make a couch into a comfy bed, and let you sit and watch tv.... If you ain't gonna drive it, paint over most of the windows from the inside, keeps the daylight out for those lazy afternoon naps between hunts.... plus privacy from snoopy campmates.... curtains over the others and even a small coleman heater will keep it fairly warm.. I would also look at insulation board cutouts to cover your windows, those windows let it get really COLD!

Comment

I would put a flat screen tv and my recliner. ps: dont forget the fridge.. That sounds like a fun project..

Comment

Use 2x4's and plywood to build a bed in the rear, and leave it open underneath from the rear doors for storage and access. If you check craigslist you'll find (or post that you're looking for and are willing to remove) some old kitchen or bathroom cabinets, cut the bottoms off to lower the height and screw them to the wall for more storage space. You can put a Coleman stove on top of that to cook, and rig up a 12V fan to the window or top to remove the fumes. I'd stay away from carpeting on the floor, it will be impossible to keep clean. A flooring store will have remnants of limoleum that will fit on the floor, put down some plywood first. Put screens on some windows for ventilation, and a propane heater like others have said for heat. A portapotty outside is all you need for business. Maybe a propane powered water heater for a shower, and hook-up a metal ring on the outside to hand a shower curtain.

Comment

I think the regular heater buddy would be fine ( but it does not have the blower fan), plus you could carry it easily and use in blind, if wanted. I would definetly buy the hose kit to use a 5 gallon tank. I use the big buddy in old 28' RV, it works great. The one option on the big buddy I like is the fan that blows heat, it will run on elect or 4 D batteries, on batteries I usually get 7-10 runnning it at night.
                      Here is link to look at the specs.

I bought my big buddy at TSC on sale. Thing I like is if it is bumped hard, it shuts off, low oxygen shut off etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X