No announcement yet.

Disk cookers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

some of the best food i ever ate was off one of these disk cookers. i really need to make one of these

Comment

Got one somewhere just have to find it

Comment

If you have ever spent time taking the blades off to get to a middle hanger bearing on a disc gang you would have an entirely differnt view of disc cookers.

Comment

Is Langdon (sp?) still the place to get disks in the Austin area?

Would one of the low end welders from Home Depot/Lowes be adequate for doing the work needed for handles, etc.?

C

Comment

Originally posted by cdwrrtx View Post
            Is Langdon (sp?) still the place to get disks in the Austin area?

Would one of the low end welders from Home Depot/Lowes be adequate for doing the work needed for handles, etc.?

C
            It's Langford Equip at Bolm and 183. They have a stack of them, no hole just for this purpose. They said they sell about 300 a year for cookers!

Comment

I have a $99 Harbor Freight mig wire welder. You get what you pay for. It does not have a gas hookup for argon, and is not the quality of the Millers or the better brands. With that said, I was able to weld mine- but the grinder is my friend to clean up otherwise ugly welds. If I had to buy another one, I'd look at craigslist for a used, better welder or buy a better one. But it does work, on multiple little projects.

Comment

Well, after a short time of figuring out what I wanted to do, I bought a 22" diameter disc from Langford and a couple new shoes from Callahans. I'm pleased so far how it turned out but have a few questions....

I've read the seasoning comments, but want to know if you flap sand and oil both sides, or just flap/oil the cooking surface. Getting ready to start sanding and hope to season it tonight. Maybe some leather strap around the handles is next.

Comment

just the inside

I sanded just the inside, and seasoned a couple of time before use....

I cooked fajitas tonight <I know I didn't happen... no pictures)

Dang they were good.

RMR

Comment

Originally posted by RocketmanRay View Post
                    I sanded just the inside, and seasoned a couple of time before use....
                    Thanks..... I just finished the first season after flap-sanding. Put it on the turkey fryer and heated it hot, not REAL hot, and dropped a couple tablespoons of crisco and rubbed it all around with a paper towel. I'll do it again tomorrow morning and maybe tomorrow evening I'll give it a whirl.

Comment

sanding

I took the disk to shiny metal using a 40 grit to get the "coating" off the inside of the dish, then smoothed with a 60 grit. I finally finished with a used 80 grit for a final "polish". Washed, rinsed, repeat, heated, added crisco a couple of times. Looks good so far.

I'm not sure if it's a height over the burner or a flame control issues; learning to adjust the heat has been a bit of a challenge.

I haven't burned anything yet, and it's not going to break my heart to keep trying to perfect the technique.

RMR

Comment

Looks good man! Making me hongry too.

Comment

Well, it's done - almost. I still want to add some leather strap to the handles. I seasoned it a couple times then decided since I had three eggs and some tortillas in the kitchen, why not give it a whirl. Yes, that temp thing is tough and probably even more so with eggs. A little water in the disc and the egg came right off. Tonight is venison backstrap fajitas and fixings.

Comment

Those are some cook cookers, I am thinking that I need one of these for around the house.

Comment

...and then last nights dinner. Marinated venison backstrap, marinated chicken thighs and red/green bells with sweet onion. I'm thinking I'm going to like this new tool.

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Working...
                                X