Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ok new to public hunting heres my plan ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok new to public hunting heres my plan ?

Ok I drive a truck and deer season and christmas rush over lap past couple of years I've had 1 day off a week from halloween to new years and my lease was in ozona 8 hrs away, anyways I couldn't justify keeping it this year. So my plan is to junt the ace land at Whitney for as many of my one day off weekends that I can. If I do get a 3 day weekend I was thinking of wanting to see the shnf hunting area. But that doesn't make a lot of sense to scout Whitney hunt sam houston but I'd like a get away hunt if I've already had success locally. Does anyone have a better place if I was wanting to see something new on that 3 day weekend or do most of you think stay at the spot I've worked. Who knows I might not want to leave whitney but half the fun is the planning so that's where I'm at

If I were you I'd pick a place, scout it, learn it and hunt it. You split your time between Whitney, the SHNF and wherever else and you're apt to not have any success at any of them.

Comment

Whatever you're gonna hunt, pick one and hunt it hard. I spent time elsewhere, and tried hunting Whitney/Aquilla late in the season. I saw some deer, but I didn't have luck like I would have if I had hunted it the entire season.

You just never know if someone has been hunting that spot, or any other crazy stuff might have happened in the area you normally hunt. Its also a lot easier to pattern deer if you're there on a consistent basis. I wouldn't wanna have to scout and hunt on the same trip, especially if its anywhere near the rut.

Comment

Thanks guess I was looking at all the opportunities and thinking I had to try and do it all I mean I know that's not possible but kinda like if I only stayed at Whitney I was missing out

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
          If I were you I'd pick a place, scout it, learn it and hunt it. You split your time between Whitney, the SHNF and wherever else and you're apt to not have any success at any of them.
          This

Comment

Working...
          X