Another Knife Attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Knife Attempt

OK, I finished another knife, and I was wondering what you guys REALLY thought about it. Be honest, especially all of you that regularly make knives to sell. What would you do different?

The basic design was picked out by the future owner of the knife. The guy I made this for is the one that brought me all the antlers that I used, so he picked the shape and design, so i didnt really have any controls over those aspects. But, what about the finish job? Any tips or pointers?

Also, if you will notice in the last picture, I had some epoxy ooze out. How do you stop this from happening? Am I using too much epoxy?I was told that all I needed was a thin layer, but I got it as thin as possible and still get ooze. How do you guys prevent this?

Nice job!

Comment

I like it. When I've worked with epoxy I use a little too much to be sure it gets into all the nooks and crannys for a strong bond, and then wipe off the excess using a paper towel with some acetone on it before it hardens. You should be able to chip it off with a single edge razor blade now I'd think then wipe down with acetone.

On knives without a hand guard (bolster?) your thumb will naturally be on the top of the blade and it's screaming for some nice file work there.

Comment

Looks good to me!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
          I like it. When I've worked with epoxy I use a little too much to be sure it gets into all the nooks and crannys for a strong bond, and then wipe off the excess using a paper towel with some acetone on it before it hardens. You should be able to chip it off with a single edge razor blade now I'd think then wipe down with acetone.

On knives without a hand guard (bolster?) your thumb will naturally be on the top of the blade and it's screaming for some nice file work there.
          I might try the acetone trick.

My next attempt will have pins so I can shape the handle scales, remove them to polish the steel, and then reinstall them in the exact same position.

I tried some file work on one but I havent finished it yet so I dont know how well it will turn out.

Comment

Yeah, acetone for sure. Qtips work well to get into that junction between the handle and the blade. It's hard to tell how thick the blade is, but I'd take the bevels up higher if it was me.

Comment

i really like it alot,did you bend the tang for the curve or cut it bent like?how did you grind it,the blade i mean?what kind of metal is it?sorry for all the q's but im still learning so ive been asking everyone questions,thanks for sharing

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

Originally posted by paintman View Post
                  i really like it alot,did you bend the tang for the curve or cut it bent like?how did you grind it,the blade i mean?what kind of metal is it?sorry for all the q's but im still learning so ive been asking everyone questions,thanks for sharing
                  The steel I have is around 1/4" thick and cut from an old 6' circular saw blade from my buddies family mill. I know its not the best steel to use since I cant be sure of the makeup of the steel, but I do know its got a very high carbon content, as well as a high nickel content. I cut the blanks using the plasma at work, and shape them with a series of files, a dremel, and a belt sander. This particular knife is a full tang model with antler scales, not a hidden tang, so the tang was cut to fit the shape of the antler. The bevel was cut with a file, so I didnt get it as high as I wanted, but the steel is hard and I go tired.

Comment

Looks great

Comment

Nice

Comment

I like it. Good work

Comment

I like it, man that blade looks thick... bet it'll take some punishment

Comment

Correction, the blade thickness is 5/32. Dont know what I was thinking when I said 1/4".

Comment

Good job! I like the handle shape and the cutout area on top for your thumb.

Comment

Working...
                              X