Anyone: Royal Empress Trees??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone: Royal Empress Trees??

Do you have one? Do they grow as fast as claimed? Are the big leaves a PITA to rake up? Pros/Cons to having this in the front yard?
    Pics if you got one?
    I am in zone 9b so it looks like its a candidate. I am looking for flowering trees to add color to the yard

Not familiar with it, but if it grows super fast, expect it to get torn up in moderate winds.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

As an Arborist and Naturalist, I would strongly recommend NOT planting a Royal Empress Tree anywhere but China! As with any "fast growing" tree, if they grow fast, they die fast. Where exactly do you live? There are numerous soil conditions within each zone that really dictate what species of tree does well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
        As an Arborist and Naturalist, I would strongly recommend NOT planting a Royal Empress Tree anywhere but China! As with any "fast growing" tree, if they grow fast, they die fast. Where exactly do you live? There are numerous soil conditions within each zone that really dictate what species of tree does well.
        Sounds like me and the OP are in the same position looking for a fast growing shade tree. Given your profession could you recommend a good fast growing shade tree for some 9b. I actually live in Pasadena and have the normal black gumbo. I have good drainage in the area I want the tree as well.

Comment

We planted one at the ranch 8 years ago. It later died in the 2011 drought. At the same time, we planted one in my dads back yard near Dallas. It is easily 30ft tall and a monster. Huge leaves and yes it is a mess. But it is a very nice shade tree. The thing grows crazy fast.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3094.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	24546543

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
            Thanks for the info
            Portland,Tx
            Black land
            I am looking for recommendations for a flowering tress to add color to the yard. It does not necessarily have to be fast growing. I had read about the empress and it sounded like a viable option. I currently have 2 Live Oaks and 1 Red Oak planted but I imagine by the time they provide shade, I will be in a wheelchair or nursing home.
            What is the life expectancy for the Empress?
            Last edited by brushtrooper; 07-17-2018, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Ive had some flowering trees and imho they are not worth the trouble. Blooms only last a couple of weeks and then you just have a tree for the rest of the year.

Comment

We’ve always called these types of trees GBD (get big and die) trees.

Comment

I was reading some more from fast growing trees.com, they are saying life span of 80-100 years. I am 50 so I am mainly concerned about the next 20 years based off my family history

Comment

I have several of them. They do grow fast and make great shade trees. Leaves are big, but cleanup is easy when they drop. I have 2 that are now about 4 years old and are 25'+. I have two others that are in their 2nd year after the chop and are about 10' tall now.

I did have one tree die last year, was on its 3rd year. Think it died because I had a sprinkler leak, and when I fixed the head, it stopped that tree from getting water. Otherwise, they have been great! Just started flowering this year, wasn't anything real special... Have not had a problem with them spreading.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by RedRaider323; 07-17-2018, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X