Delta Airline - Bow Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delta Airline - Bow Case

After much research I'm able to confirm that I cannot find a case BELOW Delta's 62" Restriction; looks to be $300-400 dollars to fly an oversize case

SKB Double (I-Series 4719)
    45.50X20X9 = 74.50"

Legend Archery (Everest)
    45.7X15.7X9 = 70.40"

I'm looking for a loophole so I don't pay ridiculous checking fees that exceed my nonresident game tag.

How do I get it checked in without paying that fee?
    Which case gives me the best opportunity to get it pass a delta attendant?

*I'm flying Delta Houston to Missoula

Originally posted by BurrellTx View Post
    After much research I'm able to confirm that I cannot find a case BELOW Delta's 62" Restriction; looks to be $300-400 dollars to fly an oversize case

SKB Double (I-Series 4719)
    45.50X20X9 = 74.50"

Legend Archery (Everest)
    45.7X15.7X9 = 70.40"

I'm looking for a loophole so I don't pay ridiculous checking fees that exceed my nonresident game tag.

How do I get it checked in without paying that fee?
    Which case gives me the best opportunity to get it pass a delta attendant?

*I'm flying Delta Houston to Missoula
    My dad and I flew Delta out of IAH early June to Saskatoon, and both had a firearm, and a very large checked bag.. I think total for both of us, together, was $300-325 but i cant remember exactly. I had a SKB single gun case, and my dad had a big 2 gun pelican case, and we paid a lot more for the overweight checked bag then we did for the firearms. Luckily, on the return flight(had to take Air Canada) the agent didn't even charge us for extra bags, or overweight fee.. She must of felt sorry for us lol.

It may depend on the Agent, but unless its just obnoxiously big i don't think the dimensions are going to get you on a checked item.. it is more so the weight. Just my experience, and opinion though. They get you one way, or another..

Comment

I have flown Delta twice to South African with my SKB double bow case. Never an additional fee. Yes, it shows up in the oversized baggage claim but I've never paid extra for it. It has just been one of my allowed bags.

Comment

Check if there is a restriction on Golfclub cases, there didn't used to be one. I used to put my bow in a soft case that went in the golfclub case, surrounded by my clothes, flew to Vegas a couple of times and a few other tournaments using that method.

Comment

Just another alternative.....You could mail it to your outfitter.

Comment

I always fly a broken bow along for the ride.....

If they charge me, I just charge them back.

Comment

The airlines have exclusions for sports equipment (archery included) so stuff like poles and skis don't get hammered
              Look under sporting goods exclusions to baggage fees

Comment

I have flown to South Africa twice, Canada twice, and Australia once on different airlines with an SKB double bow case and have never paid oversize bag fees for it.

Bisch

Comment

I fly Delta from Los Angeles to Escanaba every year with my bow and have never received an oversize bag charge.

I use the $35 Plano Protector case and a couple of pad locks.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                    I always fly a broken bow along for the ride.....

If they charge me, I just charge them back.
                    Now that is clever

Comment

Thanks Bisch and rladner! Both of your comments have me feeling hopeful.

Comment

Originally posted by BenBen View Post
                        Just another alternative.....You could mail it to your outfitter.
                        This and it also saves the headache of toting it in the airport

Comment

of those that have flown with bow cases, how many have flown with a bow case this year on delta? looks like their regs have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRanger View Post
                            This and it also saves the headache of toting it in the airport
                            not much cheaper. $400 one way on delta. $380 one way on fed ex. thats with my wifes discount. and you gotta find a fed ex store

Comment

Ups it to the ups store where your going.

Comment

Working...
                              X