Legality for Bowfishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legality for Bowfishing

I have been getting into bow fishing lately, specifically from a kayak. The main thing I found was that a recurve bow doesn't make paddling easier. With that in mind, I thought back to when I had read about people using slingbows, a slingshot that shoots arrows, to bowfish with. This afternoon I was able to whip something up, but I then checked tpwd regs and it doesn't fit "legal archery equipment". I know people do fish with these, but I was wondering if there was someone on here, possibly a gw, who could give a solid answer. Are slingbows a grey area, or are they illegal and people have just gotten away with it?

Man in all my years of bowfishing I don't recall ever seeing anyone using a slingbow or anything like it. I cant find any literature that specifically says yes or no to the use of one either. I personally would stick to the recurve or buy a shorter bowfishing specific compound, like an ams fish hawk. Good luck

Comment

Where are you located?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1465877804.882750.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	24448428
        It would be considered a spear gun. Still legal for non-game fish.

Comment

Yeah, I think it's more of a newer thing. I may get a shorter bowfishing bow just to be sure I am within the rules. Located near Beaumont. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
            [ATTACH]796099[/ATTACH]
            It would be considered a spear gun. Still legal for non-game fish.
            Alright, I think I'll try it then. Thanks

Comment

I use a Falcon Slingbow exclusively or Bowfishing, from the shoreline, boat, or my kayak.....when set up properly, it is accurate as all get out!! U do have to get used to it but they work!! I've made shots out to 15 yds.....

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Pico. Pm sent

Comment

I feel your pain.
                  Look for a deal on a child size bow with a 25-28" A2A 30/40#
                  I am using an old 26" Bladerunner @ 40# out of my kayak.
                  I know its not recurve or sling bow but it works.

Comment

ZA, thanks for the reply. I think in the end I'm gonna go the slingbow route, because unfortunately I have a sit-in yak that makes almost anything hard to paddle with. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Comment

why cant you stand up? you can cant the bow completely sideways and still be accurate.

Comment

I Bowfish from my kayak but do it from my knees. I use a extra padded seat for my knees or else it sucks. You can paddle from your knees easily, I use one of the shorter no limits paddles when i out Bowfishing tho. Headlamps only

Comment

Originally posted by Greyman View Post
                          why cant you stand up? you can cant the bow completely sideways and still be accurate.
                          The yak I have is not stable enough to stand in, and the slingbow is mostly better for size. Paddling with a recurve limits my paddling strokes to about half of normal, and the bow is cumbersome to handle in the yak.

Comment

Originally posted by kolsonashley View Post
                            I Bowfish from my kayak but do it from my knees. I use a extra padded seat for my knees or else it sucks. You can paddle from your knees easily, I use one of the shorter no limits paddles when i out Bowfishing tho. Headlamps only
                            Thanks for the suggestion, the problem is that as I mentioned above my kayak is a little tippy, and also a sit-in. I don't know if I could be stable and paddle on my knees, but I definitely couldn't get to my knees from a sitting position. I will probably also go to a shorter paddle, or possibly even a canoe paddle just for tight spots that I sometimes get into.

Comment

Originally posted by SticksnStrings View Post
                              Thanks for the suggestion, the problem is that as I mentioned above my kayak is a little tippy, and also a sit-in. I don't know if I could be stable and paddle on my knees, but I definitely couldn't get to my knees from a sitting position. I will probably also go to a shorter paddle, or possibly even a canoe paddle just for tight spots that I sometimes get into.
                              They make collapsible boat paddles that would probably work for once you've got your bow out.

Comment

Working...
                              X