Who hunts with arrows under 500 grains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stone point View Post
    I shoot 43 and 47 lbs longbows and shoot 360 total weight pass through on almost all my kills unless I hit high shoulder I even killed three deer with same arrow
    Compound?

The OP is talking trad gear!

Bisch

Comment

I just added weight tubes to my GT 35/55 and added about 140 gr to the finished arrow. It made a noticeable difference. My arrows are quieter and have a greater wallop. My bow is a 60lb self bow

Comment

Ive heard that there is a "magic" window on arrow weight for the best arrow flight that is basically the result of taking your poundage at your draw and multiplying it by 8-10. Not sure if this true but I heard it from a gentleman that knows a heap more than me about tuning trad equipment. And I also know a lot of guys that shoot WAY more weight than that. JFFT

Comment

Jeff,

I shoot between 8.6 and 9.5 grains per lb, of draw on most of my arrows. If I am hunting in Africa then it's 13 -15 grains per lb. Currently I am shooting 9.3 out of my Black Douglas and they hit hard. My total arrow weight is 475 grains. I used to hunt with cedar arrows and they weighed in at 495-505 grains. With those I have taken many large deer, black bears, moose, hogs and caribou! I would not hesitate using an arrow at 500 or under - especially the way you shoot my friend!

Comment

Jeff,

I am on the side that argues shot placement does more than anything. I've hit animals bad with wide heads and I've hit them bad with heavy arrows. In the end it hasn't mattered what I hit them with if it's bad placement. And the argument for more redundancy with wider heads or heavier heads has really done little for my success rate. I have not hunted with anything over 52# in years and the majority of my hunting done with 47#- 50#. I haven't hit a critter yet that has disputed it. My arrows typically are 460-500 grns depending on what setup I pick up.my setups average 9.5-9.6 GPP. The reason I brought up the accuracy detail is because my mind is programmed for that 9.5-10 GPP trajectory and it allows me to jump setups with minimal trouble. And it's natural for me to put it where I want vs giving it up for arrow weight. This has been my most successful setup after years of trying to find an edge.... I like my weight bow, a 9.5-.6 arrow and 3-1 head. I'm not having issues pushing the stone through either with this setup out of my selfbows.

And on another note. I will take the faster arrow over the heavier one every day on whitetail. The speed is the ticket on them. They react to fast to give it up for any of the above

Good luck man

Comment

450 grain arrows here. I shoot 52# at 31.5" and they zip right through every critter I've shot with them so far.

Agreed on shot placement though. That trumps everything else.

Comment

Shot placement is king. You will do fine with sub 500 grain arrows if you put a sharp broadhead in the right place. That being said, I prefer 10.5 to 12.5 grains per pound. I shoot 610 to 675 grain arrows out of my 55 lb @ 28" longbow.

Comment

I'm going to try it out this evening but I'm not 100% confident in the light arrows so I'm only taking one of them. It's 470 grains plus the extra 10 grains for the difference of the nocturnal from the standard nock. The other 3 arrows are 530 grains. Hopefully I'll get at least one shot!

Comment

Like was said above, Jeff, if you put a 470gr arrow in the right place, you will have no problems!

Good luck,

Bisch

Comment

It seemed to work well. I posted in the Trad Harvest thread. Thanks, Jeff

Comment

Great info!
                        Thanks, everyone

Comment

I shoot axis 600 at 28.5 inches with a 125 Magnus. Shot placement, and Sharp Broadheads most of the time I get a pass through

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                            Compound?

The OP is talking trad gear!

Bisch
                            It says longbow

Comment

I thought that you would be fine... Everyone that has ever shot with you knows you can put an arrow where it belongs. Congrats on the nice hog

Comment

Originally posted by Stone point View Post
                                It says longbow
                                Sorry! It does say longbows. I just read the 360gr arrow and that is way light. As long as it works for you, go with it!

Bisch

Comment

Working...
                                X