No announcement yet.

"Official" SOMERVILLE 2015-2016 Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't wait until the first cool morning and walking to my favorite opening day stand

Comment

Cool morning on opening day? Duck, that hasn't happened for years now! ha, ha. Sweating and swatting is more like it out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
        Cool morning on opening day? Duck, that hasn't happened for years now! ha, ha. Sweating and swatting is more like it out there.
        Haha thats very true but you never know, it sure has been a weird year so far... Heck its gonna be in the 60's Thursday morning, I'll take that any day in August!!!

Comment

I know it won't be opening day for sure. my thermacell will be getting a workout

Comment

I always enjoy this thread. I only live a short drive from the lake. I may have to find my way over there in the near future; gotta get the county fair behind us first.

Good luck this season.

Comment

my thermacell will be getting a workout
              Always a part of my S'ville gear list.

Comment

Well boys and girls, Somerville is getting more and more crowded.

Checked one of my trail cam's today after a 9 days, and got a pair of hunters smiling for the camera, in a spot that is not easy to find. That's the 2nd time in 9 days I've had not one, but two hunters in one of my best spots.

I've hunted both those areas for the past 3 years without seeing a soul. Oh well. So goes public land hunting.

I guess either times are getting tough, or hunting public land is now fully in fashion.

Either way, I'm diving back in deep this year. And as of today, I'm no longer showing anyone around the place. Tired of getting burned.

John
                Last edited by Limbwalker; 09-01-2015, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Dont worry, ill blast them out of there come duck season. Theyll give up hunting it real quick.

But honestly, times are getting tougher to get on a lease. Theyre expensive and fairly difficult to snatch up. Not surprised if more folks are going public land. I want to give it a go for the first time this year just for the challenge. But I honestly wont hunt it enough to do myself any good. Be more of a nature watch at a different location for me. Maybe ill get lucky, but I doubt it.

Comment

Dont worry, ill blast them out of there come duck season.

I think this year, I will as well.

I guess the good part is it led me to scout yet another new area that I've been wondering about for years. Good thing to, since I may have found another good spot. Only I'm going to need a pack frame to get them out this time. LOL. 0.8 miles in, one way. That should thin the crowd a touch.

Comment

I guess the good part is it led me to scout yet another new area that I've been wondering about for years. Good thing to, since I may have found another good spot. Only I'm going to need a pack frame to get them out this time. LOL. 0.8 miles in, one way. That should thin the crowd a touch.
                      Let me know and we'll go shoot some birds.

Comment

My 2 spots are .91 and 1.10 miles in one way, waders required for the first. Will be happy to see NO ONE out there this season

Comment

Originally posted by Champlaya7 View Post
                          My 2 spots are .91 and 1.10 miles in one way, waders required for the first. Will be happy to see NO ONE out there this season
                          Ah to be 20 again.

When I was in my mid 20's, I would routinely hunt from one parking area to another in a day, across both Nails and Yegua. Saw a lot of ground on those hunts.

Comment

How do you bow hunt Somerville, is it through the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers? Or TPW?

Comment

Originally posted by nimrodtracy View Post
                              How do you bow hunt Somerville, is it through the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers? Or TPW?
                              TPWD, need your hunting license and your Annual Public Hunting Permit ($48)

Comment

Ah to be 20 again.

When I was in my mid 20's, I would routinely hunt from one parking area to another in a day, across both Nails and Yegua. Saw a lot of ground on those hunts.
                                I'm sure you came out with a few scratches n thorns too! LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X