No announcement yet.

Setting up an ILF bow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Excel riser (as well as many other) are designed to keep you from torquing the limbs all the way down at the butts. What you have there is normal, and the way it should be.

The tiller is good at 1/8" offset. The only problem is the offset is positive to the wrong end. You want the tiller to be even, or greater on the top. Not greater on the bottom.
    Some folks shoot with a negative tiller like that, but it don't work well for most.

Before changing/adjusting the limb bolts any more, try swapping the limbs.
    Put the one on top now on the bottom, and the one on bottom now on the top.
    That may get the tiller where it should be. If not, you'l just have to do it with the bolts.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
      The Excel riser (as well as many other) are designed to keep you from torquing the limbs all the way down at the butts. What you have there is normal, and the way it should be.

The tiller is good at 1/8" offset. The only problem is the offset is positive to the wrong end. You want the tiller to be even, or greater on the top. Not greater on the bottom.
      Some folks shoot with a negative tiller like that, but it don't work well for most.

Before changing/adjusting the limb bolts any more, try swapping the limbs.
      Put the one on top now on the bottom, and the one on bottom now on the top.
      That may get the tiller where it should be. If not, you'l just have to do it with the bolts.

Rick
      I'll try swapping the limb.
      So by turning the limb bolts out a bit I'm increasing the tiller. ( Seem right in my mind)

I've used the bow scale and I'm still not getting 40# yet. I might be at 38# now. What am I doing wrong here? By increasing the brace height will I increase the draw weight too?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
        I'll try swapping the limb.
        So by turning the limb bolts out a bit I'm increasing the tiller. ( Seem right in my mind)
        Turning the limb bolts:
        (a) changes draw weight. Bolts out lower. Bolts in higher.
        (b) changes brace height. Bolts out higher. Bolts in lower
        (d) changes tiller when bolts are moved unevenly.

I've used the bow scale and I'm still not getting 40# yet. I might be at 38# now. What am I doing wrong here?
        Once you've swapped the limbs, make sure the bolt are bottomed out, and check it with the scale again, and check the tiller

You aren't doing anything wrong. The limbs are naturally going to be lower in draw weight on the longer riser, but you never know for sure how much until you get everything set.

By increasing the brace height will I increase the draw weight too?
        Not really. It raises the draw weight a tiny bit, but not anywhere near the amount you're looking for.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
          Turning the limb bolts:
          (a) changes draw weight. Bolts out lower. Bolts in higher.
          (b) changes brace height. Bolts out higher. Bolts in lower
          (d) changes tiller when bolts are moved unevenly.

Once you've swapped the limbs, make sure the bolt are bottomed out, and check it with the scale again, and check the tiller

You aren't doing anything wrong. The limbs are naturally going to be lower in draw weight on the longer riser, but you never know for sure how much until you get everything set.

Not really. It raises the draw weight a tiny bit, but not anywhere near the amount you're looking for.

Rick
          Thank you, that all makes sense.

So since I bought this used, I didn't get a choice of which riser. What are the benefits of a longer riser vs. a shorter one?

If I'm not going to get the weight I'd like out of this set up I guess I need to know if I'd be better buying a shorter riser or heavier limbs.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Comment

Shortening the riser only raises the draw weight by an average of 1.5# per inch.

The riser you have now is a 21", and I'm pretty sure your limbs are mediums resulting in a 64" AMO length bow.

What you do depends on what length bow you want to have.

A shorter riser will increase draw weight, but obviously will shorten the length of the bow, and only increase the weight by about 3# per riser length incremental decrease.

Getting heavier limbs of the same length you have now will increase the draw weight without changing the length of the bow.

It also depends on how much cash you want to drop. Generally speaking, you can get a good set of limbs for much less than the cost of a good riser. The SF Axiom limbs are pretty decent limbs, and run around $100 a set.

When purchasing limbs, you need to pay close attention to what riser length the draw weight is rated on, then order limbs by adding, or deducting weight according to the length of riser they are going on. I'll follow this with an example.

Example:
            If limbs are rated as 40# on a 19" riser, they will (generally speaking) only be 37# on a 21" riser, so if you are going to put them on a 21" riser, and want a weight of 40#, you would need to get 43# limbs.

Rick

Comment

Developing your form and muscle memory on the blower draw weight might help you.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you, that all makes sense.

So since I bought this used, I didn't get a choice of which riser. What are the benefits of a longer riser vs. a shorter one?

If I'm not going to get the weight I'd like out of this set up I guess I need to know if I'd be better buying a shorter riser or heavier limbs.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Longer risers are generally more stable. It's why target archers use them. I like my hunting bows in the 58-60" range so I chose a 17" riser. But as Rick said that longer riser is going to be lighter in draw weight, you aren't doing anything wrong. It's "generally" +- 1-1.5lb for each inch you gain or lose past 17" risers where most TradTech limbs are rated. Looking at Lancaster I see the Excel is available in 21 or 23", which is yours? If it's 23 that could explain why you are seeing 38#.

Rick has given you a lot of solid advice, I am not going to be redundant by repeating it.

Here is the link to the Hoyt Recurve manuals. It might get confusing because Hoyt rates draw length on a longer riser than TradTech does. Since you aren't using Hoyt limbs you need to follow the TradTech riser length to draw weight information.

Comment

Riser is 21"

I changed the limbs top to bottom and it was worse than before. So I swapped them back and turned the top limb bolts out a couple. Did my measurements and the brace height was pretty short, so I added some twists to the string and adjusted the top limb bolts and here is where I wound up.

Brace height is 8.75

Top limb tiller is 7.25

Bottom limb tiller is 7

I measured the draw weight again.

39#

Now from what Rick Barbee said, I probably want the brace height at 8.25"

Which means that I'll have to take a few twists out of the string.

I'm realizing that the string I have is not the original. However I don't think that is affecting anything.

I'm not sure if I'm on the right track or not.

Comment

Riser is 21"

I changed the limbs top to bottom and it was worse than before. So I swapped them back and turned the top limb bolts out a couple. Did my measurements and the brace height was pretty short, so I added some twists to the string and adjusted the top limb bolts and here is where I wound up.

Brace height is 8.75

Top limb tiller is 7.25

Bottom limb tiller is 7

I measured the draw weight again.

39#

Now from what Rick Barbee said, I probably want the brace height at 8.25"

Which means that I'll have to take a few twists out of the string.

I'm realizing that the string I have is not the original. However I don't think that is affecting anything.

I'm not sure if I'm on the right track or not.

Crank the top limb back down until the tiller measurement is about 1/16" more on top, than on bottom.

You'll probably be 40# or a little more then.

The 8.75" brace height is ok. That's where I shot mine, but at your draw length 8.25 to 8.5 might suit you better.

You're doing fine.

Rick

Comment

Makes me glad I don't have a set up like those. I'm not that smart.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post

I know Rick is just hyper accurate with his but reading all that made my head swim a bit. LOL, I've got too many other things that aren't adjusted right with my form to worry about tillers and things.

Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post

I have adjusted tiller, center cut, and reshaped the grips on almost every bow I ever owned by grinding, rasping, and sanding on the limbs & risers, and handles.

I've always made the bow be, and fit the way I wanted it to, except for the real expensive ones, and I didn't do it on them, because I didn't want to devalue them, and wound up getting rid of them eventually anyway, because they didn't shoot any better than my less expensive bows.

ILF just makes it much easier to make a bow fit me they way I want to.

Rick

Comment

Took the brace height down to 8.25"
                            Top limb tiller is 6.5"
                            Bottom limb tiller is 6.75"

Took it outside ( rain, cold and dark and I really wanted to try it...lol!)

Shots were touching and the only sound I heard was the string twang.

So now to figure out how you made the string silencers.

I saw the video on how to install them, just not how you got them like they were, when they were ready to be installed.

I picked up some yarn, but I think it might be a bit small. Still going to give it a try.

Comment

Took the brace height down to 8.25"
                              Top limb tiller is 6.5"
                              Bottom limb tiller is 6.75"

Took it outside ( rain, cold and dark and I really wanted to try it...lol!)

Shots were touching and the only sound I heard was the string twang.

So now to figure out how you made the string silencers.

I saw the video on how to install them, just not how you got them like they were, when they were ready to be installed.

I picked up some yarn, but I think it might be a bit small. Still going to give it a try.

Looks like you're getting there.

Here's a video on how I do my string silencers.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
                              I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Rick

Comment

Love the enthusiasm.

Comment

Working...
                                X