Winter weather/travel precaution for Lubbock and points north

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter weather/travel precaution for Lubbock and points north

Conditions seem to be shaping up fairly well for a significant winter storm for the panhandle and south plains. I know some of you hunt in the panhandle and vicinity so wanted to give you a heads up.

Temps have steadily trended downward through the week’s forecast while precip chances and totals have been increasing. NWS issued a winter storm watch this morning and updated it a few mins ago.

Summary-

Temps at or below freezing from Lubbock north beginning tomorrow night thru Sunday. Ice/snow mix expected. 2-6” of snow and up to 1/2” of ice. Those conditions will make travel very treacherous. If the ice forecasted verified, I’d expect power outages across the area.

To be safe, I’d say these conditions can be expected in varying degrees in a 150 mi circumference of Lubbock.

Weather reports are changing for the worse in the Panhandle, South Plains and Rolling Plains.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
      Weather reports are changing for the worse in the Panhandle, South Plains and Rolling Plains.
      Yep models a few days ago indicated this forecast and even up to 8 inches, but 5 days out it’s hard to trust. Still time for it all to disappear. Lubbock is KNOWN for getting dry slotted where points N & S get forecasted precip and Lubbock gets caught in a gap of the low pressure “swirl” and gets almost NADA

Comment

Note to self: do not drive through the panhandle this weekend.

What's the latest update?

Comment

It is armageddon at the grocery store! Market Street was packed!

Comment

Lol- going to drop watch and replace with advisory. Someone been drinking the Phil kool aid and sounded the alarm prematurely again

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
              Lol- going to drop watch and replace with advisory. Someone been drinking the Phil kool aid and sounded the alarm prematurely again
              My original post was a summary of NWS in Lubbock. Still have significant winter weather in the area with icing and 2-4” of snow, with isolated areas of 6.

Comment

Right now not sure if we will see much of anything. Lots of moisture to our south and east. Could be another one of those times when we miss everything.

Comment

Last big storm we had I spent 3-4 days having a blast pulling people out. I used my wife’s 4Runner and my side by side. Drove the SxS all over Lubbock haha I got funny looks when I asked people if they needed a tug when I pulled up on my sxs. They would look at me like they didn’t think it would work. Then they were great full as can be when it did. Didn’t fail me a single time and I got a few out of some nasty drifts. Anyways I’ve got my straps and SxS ready to go again this year cause it’s too fun not to! Haha

Comment

It started raining here in carlsbad AMD hobbs about 430 and hasn't stopped yet. With temperatures dropping below freezing now this is gonna make for a mess the rest of tonight into tomm where it's supposed to continue sleeping and snowing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by horns07 View Post
                      It started raining here in carlsbad AMD hobbs about 430 and hasn't stopped yet. With temperatures dropping below freezing now this is gonna make for a mess the rest of tonight into tomm where it's supposed to continue sleeping and snowing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                      Heavy mist here about 5:30, raince since then and now snowflakes are starting to mix in. Going to be a real interesting drive to the duck playa in the morning!

Comment

Latest forecast has 2-4" of snow! I'm heading out at 5 to get my kid on a good deer around Post. Gonna leave early and take it easy...

Comment

Looks like it’s not going to be as bad as they are thinking !! Go hunting kill a monster!!

Comment

It's snowing it's @$$ off right now. Roads are getting very slick. If you're going this morning and aren't already there, be safe.

Comment

Wow! We have about 4” NE of Lubbock. Not sure how much of that is ice. Headed out to try to kill some ducks!

Comment

Working...
                              X