No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heading out again in the AM if the wind stays the same. Ill be solo.

Comment

Originally posted by Neano View Post
      Nice kill! About how long after we talked did you run into them? Just wondering what time it was really.
      11:58 am , i got on some fresh micro sign , figured out which direction they were moving ,dropped down behind that gully bank of blood reeds and used it as my cover to flank them off about 1000 yrds downwind, then waited for them. Big sow had 6-8 piglets on the ground with her and id say about 25 total hogs in the sounder.I had to pass her and 3 other big hogs as i knew i couldnt drag them out. Im happy with the eater tho ,He's in my fridge.
      Attached Files

Comment

Congrats on your kills. I'm going to get started next week.

Comment

Originally posted by jkuroski1973 View Post
          New to the forum, so I thought I would introduce myself. This is my first year hunting since 1996 and my first foray into public land hunting, hogs, and archery (albeit crossbow). Bowtech Assassin or Diamond Outlaw will be purchased later this month hopefully.

First trip (12/16/2012) - San Gabriel Unit – I walked for miles and didn't see anything (Entry 5 to 6), then rallied with my buddy and sat for a few hours at a promising spot I discovered with no luck either. I got tired of sitting so I began another stalk around where we were sitting. I heard crashing that could not be a deer and my buddy was still at the last spot. Thinking to myself this could go good or bad (first hog hunt), I moved towards the sound. I caught sight of a few adults (80-100 lbs. range) at about 20 yards. They must have seen me too, because they were making a b-line for heavy cover, but for some reason stopped and grunted at me momentarily. I had a pretty hairy shot with some vegetation between us, but let one fly. It struck her broadside and she fell, spun, and ran off. I quickly jumped onto a leaning tree (as the others seemed ****** and I couldn’t see them – don’t laugh). Then all of a sudden three or so piglets come flying by. No chance at a shot with their speed and no arrow cocked. Once things calmed down, I tracked her maybe 10 yds. Decent first hog and a great food sow for the table. The drag out was no fun at all, but my buddy thankfully did most of the work.

Second trip (12/28/2012) – San Gabriel Unit – Went back to where I got mine last time with my buddy. Within 15 minutes of getting to “the spot”, we walked up on a dozen or so that were bedded at ten yards. We didn’t even see them and **** near crapped our pants when the whole forest erupts with hogs running in all directions. Again, I had one stop behind cover, slung one, but must have been deflected. Now I am arrowless and in the middle of the hogs. I decided to grab my knife instead of trying to cock and load another arrow. Thankfully some went to the left and stopped allowing my buddy to take a shot. It was a butt shot, but it dropped her (quickly finished with a knife to end her suffering). We stayed and chased the others for a few hours more, but no further shots were offered. We had been waved off by a tree stand hunter and later met him on his way out. If you are on here, it was nice meeting you (don’t remember your name) and sorry if we spooked what you were after. We decided to gut and head this one and carry it out Native American style on a thick stick, which was a lot better than dragging.

Trip three (12/29/2012) - San Gabriel Unit – My buddy, his dad, and I headed back out because after the success the two previous times, we were told that it was a fluke by the old man. We of course checked the previous spot, but they were nowhere to be found. I am assuming from the previous days kill. So we walked and walked (Entry 5 to 7) and saw lots of deer sign, but no hogs. Once again we were waved off by a tree stand hunter. Sorry again. I’m blaming the intrusion and bad luck on the old man.

Next trip (01/05/2013) - San Gabriel Unit – Will be solo - AM
          congrats on the kills. That was my old man you ran into in the woods. you were the ones that was hunting out of our pop up right? I was wondering why we havent been seeing our resident pigs while deer hunting! lol now I know why. Been seeing and feeding that group all year as they eat up all the corn before the deer could ever get to it. Told my dad that somebody had to be killing some of the hogs when we havent seen any and I had seen some drag marks by the blind.

Comment

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
            I've killed at least one hog In all the places you named above. Good hunting in those areas. Get ahold of me when ur back in town
            yessir, i will get ahold of you, i will be moving back from colorado to probably hutto or pflugerville in april, will be too hot then to chase porky, but i will be catfishin and crappie fishin all of my secret spots, last year i came down for two weeks in april and caught 200 pounds of blues, channels, and flatheads in 5 days at granger......

Comment

Originally posted by TXUSNAVYCHIEF View Post
              yessir, i will get ahold of you, i will be moving back from colorado to probably hutto or pflugerville in april, will be too hot then to chase porky, but i will be catfishin and crappie fishin all of my secret spots, last year i came down for two weeks in april and caught 200 pounds of blues, channels, and flatheads in 5 days at granger......
              love me some granger cat fishing

Comment

Originally posted by RACK MASTER View Post
                Went out this morning for the first time to hunt granger .Got within 20 yds of a nice sounder. i passed on the big sow as i was so far deep in there i woulda never got her out . I took the eater ! Talked to nino on here on the trail in too. Found a big shed as well
                that looks like about a 25 pounder perfect to put on the pit whole!!!!!!are the weeds too bad for a cart or a sled this year????i have carried out several indian style, but you need a buddy!!!!gut,cut off head,feet up to the knees and then tie to sapling tree or i have taken some 200 pounders way out on the lake across from taylor park, Navy issue sea bag works great for quarters and it will fit right in your small backpack, i usually just take the backstraps and the hind leg quarters on a bigger hog, i love it that you guys are gettin on those hogs at granger, i grew up on this lake and can't wait to retire from the Navy and get back to the area, i am from taylor, i have probably killed 15 hogs at granger with my bow, and i have even shot one out of my boat swimming across the lake i figured i didn't want to break my oar as i may need it later. keep on killing them!!!i know we did not have a helicopter hunt kill off last year and those guys usually would kill a hundred or so hogs all over the lake and adjacent properties in only a couple of days so i expect that there is an extra 500 or so to choose from, maybe more! i don't like the helicopter hunters because they just wasted the meat and left dead pigs floating and rotting in the river...good luck and please keep letting your arrows fly......

Comment

Originally posted by huntnfishtex View Post
                  love me some granger cat fishing
                  fresh gizzard shad about 5 inchers cut in half is my preference, and a circle hook........i caught a 40 pound blue on my rod at granger in march 2009 during the (day) 2feet of water and it jumped out of the water like a largemouth bass, was the biggest i had ever seen for a blue!!!!!believe it or not i released her by accident, i had her on one of those big white poly stringers and she broke the brass loop, was a heartbreaking experience but i will bet you she is 60 pounds now and will be hard to pull out of the trees with even some braided line.........my little brother and friend were with me so they were pretty frustrated as well, oh well i have caught many 15 -20 pound blue and some huge 40-50 pound yellas(trot-line), this lake is plum full of catfish......bait out 50 hooks with cut shad in april overnight and you will catch at least 50 pounds of cats.........cant wait to come back home....

Comment

I'm sure the woods will be full of orange this weekend. Glad I get my hunting done during the week. See y'all in the AM

Comment

Congrats RackMaster......

Comment

Huntnfishtex, I didn't sit in your blind, but my buddy did. Just didn't feel right messing with other people's stuff, so I sat on the log out back. His loss as while he was reading your book I was killing a hog. You guys have a great spot. Do you see allot of deer down there? Totally screwed the pooch on getting in on the draw hunt.

Comment

Nope no deer down there!!! We did have a good spot till yall started killing all the pigs man! Jk tell your buddy if he's gona sit in the stand to at least pack some corn down there to the feeder and I'm sure you will learn but the more info you give out on here about what gate and where you were hunting the more people you will see in those spots and the hogs and deer will be totally blown out. It sucks but there is a lot of people that look at these threads and will be all over the spots you tell people you kill hogs in.

Comment

Congrats on the hogs guys.
                            Wear your Hunter Orange!! I see to many hog hunters running around out there with no orange.
                            It's also the last weekend for deer hunting so if you can wait till next weekend to go for your hogs, that would really help out these guys that having filled their deer tags yet. Just saying. Good luck!

Comment

Gods morning so far. Cold cold cold which is good. Only vehicle at the parking area.... Is it to cold for y'all lol jk jk. Gonna drive the other gates and check and see how many people are out and grab lunch. Gonna check one of my old spots below 95 bridge.

Comment

Congrats RackMaster!!! BBQ time!!

Good luck today crod888!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X