Aging vs Cold Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aging vs Cold Storage

I found a Kenmore Elite, fridge-only unit at an estate sale and decided to build a place to hang deer/hogs rather than leaving them on ice in a cooler until I had time to break everything down. After reading more on the subject, my intention became “aging” and using this setup for big cuts of meat in the off-season also. My test subject was a hog from opening weekend. I have a few questions:
    1. Condensation inside the fridge is noticeable on the interior and the areas of the hog furthest away from the air source still have a lot of moisture, are these issues related?
    2. Digital thermometer is wireless and shows 35-36 degrees every time I check it, but it also shows a max temp that the sensors inside reached to be 50 degrees? Safe storage is <40, so would the fridge allow interior temp to get that high before kicking compressor back on?
    3. I know there is a dead animal breaking down in my fridge, but the smell when the door is opened immediately triggers “rotten meat” reaction. Is this what should be expected when aging or has a combination of other issues caused actual spoilage?
    4. Without proper humidity control, am I only building cold storage and need to give up the idea of actually aging anything in this setup? If that’s the case, I’ll be sure to break the animal down in a few days as I would if stored in a cooler like I always have in the past.
    Sorry for the long read, but any info would help. I have pictures if I can find how to attach them.

Aging unprocessed pork? Never hear of it. I would think it's not a good idea.

Comment

Sounds like the fridge is broken. Best to start with another animal and fridge. JMO.....

Never heard about ageing pork.

Comment

I'll be following this thread with great interest. I have been thinking about doing this for a while.

Good luck,

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Double-O-Dave View Post
          I'll be following this thread with great interest. I have been thinking about doing this for a while.

Good luck,

Dave
          Same.

Comment

I’ll look more into the aging of pork, I hadn’t heard of it either so maybe it lacks the ability to break down and age like beef? That would have caused issues. I only chose the hog (boar) for a trial run because if anything would benefit from hanging awhile it would be a boar (might also have caused the smell issues, I’ll keep that in mind also). I may have an issue with the fridge as mentioned, but to test that I’m going to reinstall the crisper drawers and shelves to see if the temp range/condensation level goes back to normal before I quit on this project. Maybe removing them made the cooling area too big for the fridge to work? Will update for others looking to build something similar.

Comment

Trust your nose

Comment

Yes sir, couldn’t get past the smell, back to the drawing board for this project!

Comment

Working...
                X