Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electricians, No neutral wire from pole??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What you most likely have is a tri-plex coming from your service providers transformer on pole (2) insulated wires (a) & (b) phase with the bare conductor of the tri-plex being your neutral. The bare wire (neutral) should be made up to your neutral within your meter box from the weatherhead and the other insulated conductors made up respectively to the line side of the meter box.(dis-regard) if you have underground service.Rule of thumb the neutral should be continuous as it passes through(terminates) in the meter can to final termination within your panel.

You need to verify the connections from the meter can to your panel. No service provider will ever connect if you are missing the neutral to the meter can from the panel.

Hope this helps

Comment

Thanks guys, I will check and take pics this weekend. I'm no electrician. But the 240 looks like my system . Look at the link I posted above to see how it works? Lol then try to explain it to me??

Comment

Originally posted by saltwater View Post
        This website explained it best , it's exactly what I have. I have had no problems running ac or microwave or anything in my rv.

http://www.nojolt.com/Understanding_...circuits.shtml
        This, over the years code has changed making us al safer but there are still old wiring systems out there that have been hooked on the power source since well before the code changed. Know a camp house in Mississippi that the last time I looked at it was still wired as described. That wiring is from the 40s or 50s. Back when my Father was alive I do not know how many we redid the service entrance on to update to code 40 or so years ago. As long as the ground rods have a good connection to earth ground it seems to work well but things like GFI will not work on it. One of those safety things I would want updated if it were mine.

Comment

Originally posted by kmon View Post
          This, over the years code has changed making us al safer but there are still old wiring systems out there that have been hooked on the power source since well before the code changed. Know a camp house in Mississippi that the last time I looked at it was still wired as described. That wiring is from the 40s or 50s. Back when my Father was alive I do not know how many we redid the service entrance on to update to code 40 or so years ago. As long as the ground rods have a good connection to earth ground it seems to work well but things like GFI will not work on it. One of those safety things I would want updated if it were mine.
          Thanks, glad to know there's at least somebody on here that doesn't think I'm crazy!!! Once I verify it again I will call power co.

Comment

Thanks guys, I will check and take pics this weekend. I'm no electrician. But the 240 looks like my system . Look at the link I posted above to see how it works? Lol then try to explain it to me??

If there’s no neutral and used to serve a well it could be a 240V service and no neutral as an older well pump would not require it. However it is not safe to use for 120V single phase loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

If it is a triplex drop from a pole to your meter, the bare wire is considered a neutral. Should have a ground rod in ground to provide a ground.

Power company rules are different than owners rules.

Comment

GFI works just fine on my triplex fed dwelling.

Comment

Thanks, glad to know there's at least somebody on here that doesn't think I'm crazy!!! Once I verify it again I will call power co.
                  It sounds like your terminology is off. If you have a bare wire, that is your neutral. The power company does not supply you with a ground.

Comment

I worked for a power co in MS in the early 70's. It was not uncommon to use a ground return on service to deer camps where the ground was usually pretty wet. Service to deer camps was not economic for the company based solely on the power usage so the camp owners were expected to pay part of the cost to provide service. To keep the cost down and since the loads were small we used a ground return to save a few bucks.

Comment

The only bare wire I have is the one that is stapled to the telephone pole and buried with the pole. Runs right down the side of it. that's the ground I'm referring too.

Comment

The only bare wire I have is the one that is stapled to the telephone pole and buried with the pole. Runs right down the side of it. that's the ground I'm referring too.
                        That wire is bonded to the neutral.

Comment

Ok guys, little different than I explained. There is a neutral. Three wires into the weatherhead then into the meter. Then the two hot legs go to the breaker box. But the neutral is run straight to the ground, then the ground is the wire going to the breaker box. So is this set up going to hurt anything?? Ive ran it for almost 3 years this way. That's been how long since I looked at it as well. That's the way it was run when I got on this lease as well. I could isolate the neutral and run anouther wire for it, but is that totally necessary??

Comment

Thanks for helping me out with this guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                              That wire is bonded to the neutral.
                              Yes bonded to the neutral . So now what?

Comment

Still no pics?

It sounds like you’re good.
                                The neutral and the ground are supposed to be bonded at the first disconnecting means. The first disconnecting means is your panel.
                                If you ever fed a sub panel from that panel you would then seperate the ground and neutral bars at the sub panel.

Comment

Working...
                                X