Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-11-2017, 01:14 PM   #101
nimrod
Ten Point

Hunt In: new castle,tx
Default Chl

So If it passes does that mean you will be able to carry a pistol during bow season with out Chl while your hunting
nimrod is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 01:16 PM   #102
jimmyjams4110
Four Point

Hunt In: SHNF

I would have to think so. Honestly that was the main reason I took the class.
jimmyjams4110 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 01:58 PM   #103
fishingsetx
Ten Point

Hunt In: silsbee and evadale, tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
So If it passes does that mean you will be able to carry a pistol during bow season with out Chl while your hunting
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjams4110 View Post
I would have to think so. Honestly that was the main reason I took the class.
Can someone link to where carrying a handgun while bow hunting on private property without a CHL is illegal right now? I know it used to be, but I thought they changed that law in/around 2015. I cant seem to find anything that says its illegal. The annual used to say you had to have a CHL, but now all it says is the animal must be taken with legal archery equipment.

Not saying yall are wrong. Im just curious becuase I thought they changed it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
fishingsetx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 02:06 PM   #104
BowDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Medina County

It was changed last legislative session. It is no longer in the TPWD hunting guidelines because it no longer applies. In other words, if it doesn't say you can't, then you can.
BowDude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 02:10 PM   #105
jimmyjams4110
Four Point

Hunt In: SHNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDude View Post
It was changed last legislative session. It is no longer in the TPWD hunting guidelines because it no longer applies. In other words, if it doesn't say you can't, then you can.
I hunt public land, it was in there. No handgun during bow season unless you had a LTC.
jimmyjams4110 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 02:25 PM   #106
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

I am for requiring permits for public carry. I don't think you should need one to own a gun, or have it and use it at home or on private property. But for public, I think licensing is reasonable, and not an infringement assuming it is under shall issue conditions like in our state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightinaggies View Post
If you have taken the class you know what a joke it is anyway
Yeah, I took the class and realized that most of the people in there NEEDED to take the class. What some people thought was justified is just plain scary.

I mean, maybe we should lower the driving age to 10, let folks vote at the age of 6. There comes a point where it is acceptable to have folks have a certain amount of life experience or schooling to be able to flex those rights in public.

So anywho... I guess my point is, I don't feel infringed upon by the CHL process in our state. I would however feel infringed upon by the CHL process of the states of California, New York, and New Jersey.
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 02:25 PM   #107
BowDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Medina County

It was changed in the 2015 legislative session. Couldn't tell you why they have it posted on public land.
BowDude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 02:27 PM   #108
fishingsetx
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDude View Post
I thought I had heard that (I have my CHL so never paid it any attention)

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=473331

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/o...-for-2014-2015
Quote:
I hunt public land, it was in there. No handgun during bow season unless you had a LTC.
What is crazy about that is you can open carry a handgun as long as you arent hunting, but cant conceal it unless you have a LTC!

Quote:
can I carry a handgun while bowhunting?***

No.**Concealed weapons, in accordance with

Concealed Handgun laws of Texas, are used for

personal protection, not hunting.**If you are archery

hunting you are still hunting. You may carry

concealed if so permitted but the handgun is not to

be used for hunting purposes no matter the species

killed.**

Can I carry a loaded handgun while just walking out

in the woods scouting for personal protection?***

Yes, aslong as it is not concealed.**If you have a CHL,

then you can carry a concealed weapon.
I wonder if they have just not updated their rules to match Texas state law yet?

Old 01-11-2017, 02:28 PM   #109
clayree
Four Point

I honestly believe that it is just a way to charge someone for their constitutional right. Criminals & jerks do not exactly have to take a class; why should we have to in order to defend our families?
clayree is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 02:51 PM   #110
JW
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Texas, Oklahoma, Kentucky

I just love the dictation of the 2nd Amendment "Right" by some here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 03:15 PM   #111
retrieverman
Six Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I like the "idea" of constitutional carry, but with the level of dumbassery present in the world today, I believe there needs to some form of proficiency test before a person is allowed to carry a gun (kind of like driving a car).
retrieverman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 03:24 PM   #112
JW
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrieverman View Post
I like the "idea" of constitutional carry, but with the level of dumbassery present in the world today, I believe there needs to some form of proficiency test before a person is allowed to carry a gun (kind of like driving a car).

Driving a car and the right to protect yourself are 2 different things. The dumbassery has always existed and always will.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:30 PM   #113
Lungbustr
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
So many states with Const carry with NO HISTORY of problems & here we are again just like when OC was coming of how Texas was coming to an end.

Personally, I think we have way more folks that don't have enough sense to vote vs carry a gun!!

Again, Freedom is no longer looked upon as a good thing...better regulate it.
Pretty much sums it up.
Lungbustr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 03:31 PM   #114
mmoses
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin' View Post
Driving a car and the right to protect yourself are 2 different things. The dumbassery has always existed and always will.

There was less dumbassery back in the day because people just died if they where dumb. Now they live on making it by.

We dont limit freedom of the press and there is TONS of dumbassery there!
mmoses is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 03:34 PM   #115
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wyoming and Texas

Quote:
Interesting fact from my class a few days ago. It is illegal to have a gun in the parking lot of a post office. Not just the premises, the dang parking lot to. Never knew that.
Wow , what a criminal I am ! Along with thousands of others.......
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 03:37 PM   #116
2Lazy2P
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas/SE Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin' View Post

2Lazy2P is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 04:13 PM   #117
Bowyer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas & Oklahoma

I think the problem is much deeper. Our culture used to be more open to guns and the ownership of guns. Heck, they used to teach gun safety in schools. But now because someone said they were scared of guns we all have to be sneaky about owning or carrying a gun. That is the problem! Guns are not the problem but the fear of offending someone else's feelings is the problem. Because of this we have allowed the government to limit our rights and make us pay for the privilege to exercise our rights.

Someone posted that while in a constitutional carry state people were more polite.
I can imagine that many years ago someone in that state said they were afraid of guns, and every else just said "So" and that person realized how stupid they were and just dropped it.

This shouldn't even be a discussion.
If you don't like me or someone else exercising their constitutional rights, keep it to yourself because I don't care.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Bowyer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 04:28 PM   #118
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

What the hell is there to expand on regarding Constitutional Freedom??

I'm not comfortable with what a lot of people say and how they express themselves...those tarded nimrods calling themselves Baptist who protest a soldiers deaths at their funerals, burning the American Flag, etc., but ****ed if they don't have the right to it with freedom of expression & speech.

Please post up links / data of all the problems, issues, accidents of a person carrying in a state with Constitutional Carry that back up the concerns. THERE ARE NOT ANY or at least a minute amount to regulate the freedom some wish to keep Texas from having.

This isn't brain surgery...

I'm an FFL & make a little bit of $$$$ on background checks, although it's a very small portion of my biz so it may sound contrary to the game I'm in. It is perfectly legal for you to sell your gun to any member on this forum FTF. Should I as an FFL try to pass legislation to force everyone go through an FFL?? NO!! I do not pass the laws, I simply follow them. If background checks became not needed, it wouldn't bother me or hurt my business. I did not become an FFL to capitalize on 4473's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx_Wader View Post
Expound on that a bit if you would.

If someone isn't comfortable with certain people carrying a handgun you spout off that they don't like "freedom".

A lot of those folks fought for this country and the freedoms that it offers so I'm a bit confused as to your thought processing.

We have CHL's we have open carry already and maybe Constitutional Carry.

So do you want to do away with the background checks we have to go through to purchase a handgun? I'm for it, we didn't have it before 1968. My Dad used to buy all types of guns through the old Shotgun News from people and they would ship via railroad to the local station. I would love to be able to do that myself!

I mean after all, making us go through background checks infringes upon our 2nd Amendment rights.

Right?
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 05:01 PM   #119
JW
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoses View Post
There was less dumbassery back in the day because people just died if they where dumb. Now they live on making it by.

We dont limit freedom of the press and there is TONS of dumbassery there!

Lol. No.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:18 PM   #120
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Bring back the old days when I drove to school with a 22 rifle and a 12ga on my gun rack and parked in the parking lot and left the windows down all day unless it rained. Times were different then and nearly every kid that had a pickup and a drivers license had a gun rack and some sort of firearm hanging on it. I never ever heard of anybody ever getting shot or threatened -- student or teacher. Seen a lot of fistfights and been in more than a few and it never turned to guns.
Now days it's crazy but if you can pass a background check to buy the gun then you should be able to carry it as you see fit.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 06:00 PM   #121
fishingsetx
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
Bring back the old days when I drove to school with a 22 rifle and a 12ga on my gun rack and parked in the parking lot and left the windows down all day unless it rained. Times were different then and nearly every kid that had a pickup and a drivers license had a gun rack and some sort of firearm hanging on it. I never ever heard of anybody ever getting shot or threatened -- student or teacher. Seen a lot of fistfights and been in more than a few and it never turned to guns.
Now days it's crazy but if you can pass a background check to buy the gun then you should be able to carry it as you see fit.
Now that I can agree on! I remember taking hunters ed in the 6th grade. They brought BB guns to the school and set up targets on the playground for us to shoot. Can you imagine if they tried that now!

Old 01-11-2017, 06:07 PM   #122
Ironman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
Yep! With a Buck 110 or 112 on your belt and a can of snuff in your pocket.
Ironman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 06:56 PM   #123
Richard
Ten Point

I have a couple of Friends that passed the chl class and didn't even have to bring a gun or shoot at all! It's all about the money for some instructors and it's all about the money to our Gov. They don't care if we shoot each other they just want the cash.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 07:20 PM   #124
fishingsetx
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I have a couple of Friends that passed the chl class and didn't even have to bring a gun or shoot at all! It's all about the money for some instructors and it's all about the money to our Gov. They don't care if we shoot each other they just want the cash.
They and the instructor are playing a VERY dangerous game in doing that. There was an instructor who was giving the class in 3-4 hrs back when 10 hrs was required. DPS got wind of it and had a LEO sign up for one of her classes. As soon as the paperwork was signed at the end of the class, they arrested her and issued tickets to the rest of the class for falsifying records! Not sure what the penalty is for that, but I wouldnt want to find out the hard way.

There are also exemtions from the shooting portion though.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:12 PM   #125
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson05 View Post
Agree with the argument that a CHL is a demarcation point for easily pulling stats on legal carry v. gun crimes. However, the government requiring any type of permit to carry a gun is a slippery slope and 30.06 and 30.07 signs are clearly unconstitutional in my opinion. If a private business wants to request that nobody carries a gun into their establishment fine, but having a tool that makes it illegal to carry is an infringement upon my individual right to choose how and where I'd like to protect my family.
I can make absolutely no sense in that statement at all.

You seem to agree that a business can restrict you carrying on their premises. What is "having a tool"?

By the law, that tool that you call it is a reduction in the law, not an additional law. In almost any other situation, if you have been given a warning to not enter property and do so, you have committed trespassing. It is at least a Class B misdemeanor (except at schools) and if at a residence or carrying a firearms, a Class A misdemeanor carrying up to a year in jail.

The state has given a tool alright. They have taken an otherwise A misdemeanor and reduced it to a C (traffic citation equivalent) for only the people with a handgun license. In this case you claimed unconstitutional law has reduced your maximum penalty from a year in jail to a $500 fine only.

Apparently you feel that it is better for a business to simply post the ghostbuster signs or anything else they wish since there would be no standard without this law, and if you carry onto that property you are looking at some serious time.

A person might be for or against an LTC but this seems like misplaced logic.
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top