Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #501
Bily Lovec
Pope & Young

Don’t kid yourselves into thinking its only hammering O&G people.
Keep in mind a lot of the O&G people make a very high income and have an above average amount of disposable income.
When they lose their jobs or hours cut way back, they aren’t shopping and traveling.
Bily Lovec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2014, 11:23 AM   #502
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar, Dickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
Don’t kid yourselves into thinking its only hammering O&G people.
Keep in mind a lot of the O&G people make a very high income and have an above average amount of disposable income.
When they lose their jobs or hours cut way back, they aren’t shopping and traveling.
True, but also look at every person you see in a vehicle that doesn't work O&G just got and extra $1k in their pocket this next year, IF prices stay low.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2014, 11:26 AM   #503
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1974 View Post
It will be until companies start seeing losses from the products they sell.

Cell phones
Computers
Vehicles
Food
Beer
Building supplies and construction
Other sectors buy stuff too. Economics is a dynamic ever changing model with so many internal and external vairables. Thats what makes it fascinating.
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #504
bdog14
Ten Point

I'm wondering if this Cuba move isn't a preemptive measure, since we are playing chicken with the 2nd largest military in the world. Translation: "We'll lift the embargo, just please don't let Russia put anything on your island". My thinking may be somewhat of a conspiracy theory, but it's awful strange timing...
bdog14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2014, 11:39 AM   #505
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Hopefully all the nonsense per diem, phones, company trucks, extreme salaries, non sense write offs and all that will come to a slow halt

Because it is rediculous the money oilfields throw around because they can
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2014, 01:16 PM   #506
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County

Quote:
Good point Billy.... With cheap gas, we'll all be able
To afford 5,000 acre ranches and private jets. I can't wait

I should have waited to buy my Gulf Stream from oil exec looking to trim fat
Oh well at least jet fuel is getting low
Sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2014, 01:18 PM   #507
Daddypants
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Hopefully all the nonsense per diem, phones, company trucks, extreme salaries, non sense write offs and all that will come to a slow halt

How are some of these things ridiculous? Lots of industries give you a company truck, a cell phone, and per diem for working away from your normal workplace.

You use a company phone for company business. Do you know how many work calls I take/make in day, everyday, whether I am at work or not? What about alarms and company email? As for company trucks, do you know how much liability insurance must be carried on them just to be on a lease?

Do you not write everything you legally can off on your taxes?

How does someone else's pay hurt you? Are they taking it from your pocket? I think drilling is overpaid myself, but I don't begrudge them their pay because they are the first to be laid off also. There are many guy that easily make triple what I do, but I don't complain about them. I would like to make that same kind of money, but I don't... Yet.

For every guy that makes "that oilfield money", there are fifty guys making a good living for their families. Not getting rich, but doing better than they were before. Don't get worked up about that young, dumb kid spending money as fast as he makes it. They'll either grow up and learn from their mistakes or they won't. Life goes on.
Daddypants is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2014, 01:19 PM   #508
haas0311
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere Possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddypants View Post
How are some of these things ridiculous? Lots of industries give you a company truck, a cell phone, and per diem for working away from your normal workplace.

You use a company phone for company business. Do you know how many work calls I take/make in day, everyday, whether I am at work or not? What about alarms and company email? As for company trucks, do you know how much liability insurance must be carried on them just to be on a lease?

How does someone else's pay hurt you? Are they taking it from your pocket? I think drilling is overpaid myself, but I don't begrudge them their pay because they are the first to be laid off also. There are many guy that easily make triple what I do, but I don't complain about them. I would like to make that same kind of money, but I don't... Yet.

For every guy that makes "that oilfield money", there are fifty guys making a good living for their families. Not getting rich, but doing better than they were before. Don't get worked up about that young, dumb kid spending money as fast as he makes it. They'll either grow up and learn from their mistakes or they won't. Life goes on.
beat me to it..
haas0311 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2014, 03:18 PM   #509
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.

Quote:

That's why we get paid more. First laid off and generally gone the most

I agree with the rest

I got hurt the first time by being that young dumb one now I have no worries other than what I would do with the extra time home
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2014, 04:30 PM   #510
slicktrick87
Eight Point

Hunt In: Carmine

My side of the business, well before poking holes(selling well casing, pup joints, swell packers, etc.) has slowed way down...I was in an 08 fallout...starting to bring back old memories and bad feelings like the ones 6 years ago...save as much as you can and pray for the best!
slicktrick87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2014, 05:16 PM   #511
Daddypants
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
That's why we get paid more. First laid off and generally gone the most

I agree with the rest

I got hurt the first time by being that young dumb one now I have no worries other than what I would do with the extra time home
Yes sir. I understand that. I don't have a problem with your pay and I understand the reason for it. My overpaid comment is mainly directed at the way bonus structures are set up and that isn't the drillers fault. I would prefer the bonuses to be for straighter verticals as well as how fast and safe y'all can drill it. But that's more from my perspective on the rod pumping side of things. A bad deviation sure plays hell with my rods, tbg, and pump. After rereading it, I probably should have left that "overpaid" comment out because from an outsiders view it would seem different than the way I meant it.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #512
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.

Quote:
Yes sir. I understand that. I don't have a problem with your pay and I understand the reason for it. My overpaid comment is mainly directed at the way bonus structures are set up and that isn't the drillers fault. I would prefer the bonuses to be for straighter verticals as well as how fast and safe y'all can drill it. But that's more from my perspective on the rod pumping side of things. A bad deviation sure plays hell with my rods, tbg, and pump. After rereading it, I probably should have left that "overpaid" comment out because from an outsiders view it would seem different than the way I meant it.
Yea I agree that makes for lots of problems for yall.. After pumping several years lots of what we have to do annoys me
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2014, 06:06 PM   #513
txwhitetail
Ten Point

Hunt In: Irion Co

Quote:

Democrat
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2014, 09:51 AM   #514
jpowledge
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hemphill Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
Democrat
Yep!
jpowledge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2014, 10:09 AM   #515
CletusBodeen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Throckmorten

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubydog View Post
It was Whiting. They let go quite a number of different positions all the way down to trick drivers.
We had a truck that followed a Whiting rig around the Whicket area. That truck got cut lose last week because they laid off 4 service rigs with more coming after the first of the year.

Whiting is in a bind because of buying leases for too much money when oil was high and now they can't justify reworking these old wells out here.
CletusBodeen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2014, 10:11 AM   #516
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......

Quote:

I tell you what. My company can cut all that out if you are willing to come cook all our crew meals everyday on your dime while they are at work living in a hotel away from their family and then drive them everywhere everyday they need to go to do their job and we can use your cell phone to field all the calls and check all the work emails that have to be fielded out in the field while working. Would that make you happy?

Wow! The statements made by those that are jealous of the money and perks others get for working away from their families doing a job most are not willing to do or not capable of doing just floors me.
bowhuntertex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2014, 10:12 AM   #517
Grumpy1911
Eight Point

Hunt In: Louisiana/South Texas

Quote:

Grumpy1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2014, 10:21 AM   #518
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntertex View Post
I tell you what. My company can cut all that out if you are willing to come cook all our crew meals everyday on your dime while they are at work living in a hotel away from their family and then drive them everywhere everyday they need to go to do their job and we can use your cell phone to field all the calls and check all the work emails that have to be fielded out in the field while working. Would that make you happy?

Wow! The statements made by those that are jealous of the money and perks others get for working away from their families doing a job most are not willing to do or not capable of doing just floors me.
Yep. Im not in the oil field ( though I do work for a oil tool co ) so Im not one of the evil rich oil field guys ( my brother is though he isnt rich by any means ) but it gets old seeing the jealousy. It takes a certain kind of person to deal with being gone all the time and missing time with family. IMO yall deserve whatever you can get because of what yall sacrifice. I dont have the guts to do it but you wont hear me whining about the compensation of those that do. Pure jealousy.
miket is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2014, 10:45 AM   #519
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen / Refugio

I just get tired of people thinking we're all getting paid 5 million dollars a year to work 20 hours a week, when the truth is, it's closer to 3 million for 26 hours a week.

kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2014, 10:46 AM   #520
haas0311
Pope & Young

Sooooo any service companies in need of a geologist who isn't afraid to get dirty??
Old 12-18-2014, 10:50 AM   #521
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Quote:
I just get tired of people thinking we're all getting paid 5 million dollars a year to work 20 hours a week, when the truth is, it's closer to 3 million for 26 hours a week.

Dang you gotta work 26 hours a week

You need to find a better paying job, they are taking advantage of you..
Old 12-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #522
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by haas0311 View Post
Sooooo any service companies in need of a geologist who isn't afraid to get dirty??
I don't know of any. If I hear something will keep you in mind
Old 12-18-2014, 10:52 AM   #523
haas0311
Pope & Young

Quote:
I don't know of any. If I hear something will keep you in mind
I appreciate it!
Old 12-18-2014, 10:52 AM   #524
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar, Dickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by miket View Post
Yep. Im not in the oil field ( though I do work for a oil tool co ) so Im not one of the evil rich oil field guys ( my brother is though he isnt rich by any means ) but it gets old seeing the jealousy. It takes a certain kind of person to deal with being gone all the time and missing time with family. IMO yall deserve whatever you can get because of what yall sacrifice. I dont have the guts to do it but you wont hear me whining about the compensation of those that do. Pure jealousy.
I don't think it is jealousy as much as maybe an irritation of some story many of us have been told by people in the industry. Sometimes they may make it sound even better than it is.

For example. I have family that work putting 4 or 6 bolts on the top of the well after it is "drilled" . Supposedly they pay him +$2k each to put these 4 or 6 bolts in and you have to be certified/licensed/? to tighten these bolts.

On the flip side of that however, if there wasn't crazy money being thrown into west Texas crude, we would STILL have $100 barrel oil. It is all this crazy money being spent that allowed oil to come back down because of increased supply.

What I hope, is that our O&G can continue after trimming the fat and compete at $40-60 dollar oil, so prices can stay at these levels that could help our O&G and the other industries of our economy.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2014, 11:37 AM   #525
Daddypants
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by haas0311 View Post
PM me. I don't work for a service company but I can pass your résumé along.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:46 AM   #526
hoyt21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ben Bolt, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by miket View Post
Thank u for that sir im gone quite a bit and it gets old. But i do what I have to for MY FAMILY. I LIVE very humbly and still wear shirts my dad left behind when he died from the 90s ! Hopefully we find a happy medium and everyone is happy.
hoyt21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2014, 11:56 AM   #527
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Dang you gotta work 26 hours a week

You need to find a better paying job, they are taking advantage of you..
I like to really make certain people mad (who know what I make) when I go to a store and after seeing the price say "Dang, I need to find a better job!"
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2014, 12:53 PM   #528
Cold 1
Six Point

Hunt In: Ok. / Tx.

For example. I have family that work putting 4 or 6 bolts on the top of the well after it is "drilled" . Supposedly they pay him +$2k each to put these 4 or 6 bolts in and you have to be certified/licensed/? to tighten these bolts.

Been in the patch for 35 years and never saw anything on top that had only 4 to 6 bolts in it.
Cold 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2014, 01:03 PM   #529
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kimble & Fayette county. And now Oklahoma

Quote:

Very well said!!!!!

Some people just dont have a clue in ther head on what we do out here. Just like to run their trap...
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2014, 02:00 PM   #530
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:

Someone slap him with a $100 bill because we can!!

Lol you don't have a clue dude
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2014, 02:03 PM   #531
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post

Old 12-18-2014, 02:07 PM   #532
hoyt21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ben Bolt, Tx

Quote:

Or our company truck !
hoyt21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2014, 02:08 PM   #533
trophy8
Pope & Young

Anybody in a panick and selling fallow deer hunts cheap yet?
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2014, 02:24 PM   #534
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Quote:
Now that is a good question.
I'm not at all jealous of any of the big bank Hank O&G guys but I sure wish one of them would take me hunting on some them fancy ranches. Live it up boys.
Gitter while the gittins good. I would.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2014, 02:57 PM   #535
Grumpy1911
Eight Point

Hunt In: Louisiana/South Texas

Quote:

HaHa!!!! Perfect!!!
Grumpy1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2014, 04:35 PM   #536
CletusBodeen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Throckmorten

Quote:
Quit being cheap and spend that oilfield cash
CletusBodeen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2014, 05:32 PM   #537
expressfish
Ten Point

Hunt In: leaseless for now, backyard

o come'on, there's lots of other people out there that can slap that $100 bill out too. Oil field isnt the only place to make a dollar. Its todays nickle and dime
expressfish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2014, 06:08 PM   #538
BrandonA
Pope & Young

And the oilfield arrogance is why many want it fail. And to think the economy can't flourish without big oil at ridiculous levels please explain the 90's for me.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #539
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
And the oilfield arrogance is why many want it fail. And to think the economy can't flourish without big oil at ridiculous levels please explain the 90's for me.

How was that tech bubble going?

Whichever way. People look at their little bubbles and think they won't be affected. Be happy over $25 per tank savings while American jobs are lost and YOUR money is buying oil from foreign countries instead of American.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:19 PM   #540
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:

Whichever way. People look at their little bubbles and think they won't be affected. Be happy over $25 per tank savings while American jobs are lost and YOUR money is buying oil from foreign countries instead of American.
Yep and that tech bubble got stupid big and broke. Everything is cyclical.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:33 PM   #541
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
I don't think many are saying or ever said we would all starve like Russia if oil tanks. We were stating the fact that many people would lose high paying jobs. And those people spend lots of money on just about everything in the big cities so everyone will feel the affects, even those who don't think oil will affect them at all.

I know lots and lots of oil people who spend tons eating out in Austin. It WILL affect everyone...some in small ways some in bigger ways. It will affect taxes coming into cities and not just cities in the oil fields. Taxes revenue drops and you think cities, counties, and the FED will cut back spending?

Real estate agents are already feeling it...and it's just started to slow.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2014, 06:37 PM   #542
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
I don't think many are saying or ever said we would all starve like Russia if oil tanks. We were stating the fact that many people would lose high paying jobs. And those people spend lots of money on just about everything in the big cities so everyone will feel the affects, even those who don't think oil will affect them at all.

I know lots and lots of oil people who spend tons eating out in Austin. It WILL affect everyone...some in small ways some in bigger ways. It will affect taxes coming into cities and not just cities in the oil fields. Taxes revenue drops and you think cities, counties, and the FED will cut back spending?

No doubt Texas will be hit hard and affect many. My point is the oil sector isn't the only economic engine out there.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #543
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yep and that tech bubble got stupid big and broke. Everything is cyclical.
good thing the oilfield trash was there to pick up the slack
Old 12-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #544
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
good thing the oilfield trash was there to pick up the slack
Yes it was and the housing boom. And I have never used the term oilfield trash.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:48 PM   #545
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Default Hey Oilfield Guys!!

Oilfield trash is a term of endearment. I use it and embrace it.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:55 PM   #546
Bowtech_01
Spike

Hunt In: Gonzales, Tx. Encinal, TX.

You will have towns that built up just for this oil boom hit the hardest, and the workers that are associated with the different company's that popped up. Every time we have a new guy hired he gets a truck,phone, computer and all work clothes paid for. As well as every town we have wells at we eat/shop at all the mom and pop stores that believe or not love the fact that they actually have customers again. Eagle Ford Shale has built up so many towns with hotels/stores/restruants. If/when oil comes to a hault the city's and families will take a very hard hit as well as the thousands of workers. On top of all that just think about the amount of tanks,pipes and metals that are on a basic location. Seems it would hit the steel shops pretty hard also.
Bowtech_01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #547
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Kinney Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post

How was everybody getting by before the boom? I know people are making money and spending it and will suffer with the boom but it's not going to last forever. All the hotels, new restaurants, RV parks and everything else that popped up will eventually go away. I don't have any hate on the oilfield, I thought about making a run at it, but I don't like working overtime. Lol. My little brother was laid off last week. I hope the price goes back up, I don't want anybody to be laid off. But working a job dependent on something as volatile as oil you have to know what could happen before you go in. Make the money while it's there to be made and put some back. Also, as much as you think so, not near as many people will be affected as much as you think.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2014, 07:08 PM   #548
holepuncher
Ten Point

Hunt In: Callahan County

Quote:

I understand that American Oil is sold on the open market to the highest bidder? If that is case it dont seem to bother you where you sell it, why should it bother you where I buy it?
holepuncher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2014, 07:31 PM   #549
Iolabowhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grimes & Leon Tx. Counties- Lanark, IL -Kansas

Looks like this thread is about who is mad at who, who is jealous about who and who is better off than who. Heck I'm mad, jealous and worse off because nobody has drilled on my property yet and I've been paying high diesel prices.
Iolabowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2014, 07:40 PM   #550
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Default Hey Oilfield Guys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holepuncher View Post
I understand that American Oil is sold on the open market to the highest bidder? If that is case it dont seem to bother you where you sell it, why should it bother you where I buy it?

You should probably understand more about the export ban of US oil before you assume knowing what I'm bothered by.

Last edited by kyle1974; 12-18-2014 at 07:43 PM..