Riding mower experts, part 2, Husqvarna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riding mower experts, part 2, Husqvarna

Got new blades on a couple of weeks ago. I have the left blade (sitting on the mower) that is scalping on the inside only which led me to look at the spindle. Having checked everything else with the tires properly inflated I can't imagine that it's anything else. I loosened the belt and could feel no play in it. It appears the inside is sitting lower in relation to the top of the deck than the outside. The deck isn't bent that I can tell. This is a recent development. Here are a couple of pics. The one without the arrows was taken from the front and the spindle appears to be leaning in. Isn't YazooMike a Husqvarna dealer?

My question is, how do I get the lean out? The four screws holding it in place are very tight. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	grass spin 1 (Custom).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	24967004

Name:	grass spin 2 (Custom).JPG
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	24967005

Id remove spindle and chk for weird wear on it and deck If all else fails replace spindle

Comment

I bet the spindle housing is cracked. Lift the mower or remove the deck and inspect.
      Call me if u would like
      Day. 978-532-1350
      Evening. 979-533-2227

Comment

it looks crooked, and from the design that was bound to happen with the belt pulling on it all the time.

I'd guess you could use some spacers to try to level it out, but it looks like the deck would almost have to bent for it to move towards the middle like that.....

Comment

Had spindles that looked tight with the belt on but were broken when we took it off. Might take the belt off and check the spindle.

Comment

didn't even read what the problem was but here is the best advice I can give you. Pay someone that has the shop, tools, and know how to do it. I hate hate hate working on **** lawn mowers, it's almost as bad as painting to me.

Comment

Originally posted by the-butcher View Post
              Id remove spindle and chk for weird wear on it and deck If all else fails replace spindle
              I'll probably be pulling the spindle today.

Originally posted by yazoomike View Post
              I bet the spindle housing is cracked. Lift the mower or remove the deck and inspect.
              Call me if u would like
              Day. 978-532-1350
              Evening. 979-533-2227
              Mike thanks, I may give you a call later. Should I be able to see a crack without removing the spindle?

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
              it looks crooked, and from the design that was bound to happen with the belt pulling on it all the time.

I'd guess you could use some spacers to try to level it out, but it looks like the deck would almost have to bent for it to move towards the middle like that.....
              Rod, I'll probably replace the spindle if needed. All the mowers I have owned have that tension pulling toward the inside.

Originally posted by JustinJanow View Post
              Had spindles that looked tight with the belt on but were broken when we took it off. Might take the belt off and check the spindle.
              I loosened the belt and felt no give at all with it loose.

Originally posted by rconn View Post
              didn't even read what the problem was but here is the best advice I can give you. Pay someone that has the shop, tools, and know how to do it. I hate hate hate working on **** lawn mowers, it's almost as bad as painting to me.
              I'm not a fan of working on them either but I'm also not a fan of waiting 2 or 3 weeks for the local shop to get the work done. I have tools so that's not a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by yazoomike View Post
                Call me if u would like
                Day. 978-532-1350
                Evening. 979-533-2227
                ^^^^^^^this^^^^^been there done that..the bolts have lock tite on them...I found drilling the heads of is easier than trying to remove them with the wrench....these spindles break easy....

Comment

Replace Spindle.

Comment

Darn, I hate to see this. I just bought a new husqvarna 46" this weekend. I thought I had done my homework but I had not seen this issue before.

Bill, other than this has the mower been good? I mowed 2 acres the other day in 2 hours which I feel is good.

Comment

Spindle does look like it's leaning,but I would make sure the blade is not bent before taking it off.

Comment

BTW you can buy the spindle with out all the bearings and shaft...move all the stuff to the new housing.

Comment

Looks like the deck is bent to me. The spindle is deffinately leaning.

Comment

Bill, I order parts for my 54" Husqvarna from partstree.com

I have an extra mandrel housing and upper bearing if you want it. I think most deck sizes use the same one.

If you want to try to DIY I'll send the mandrel and bearing to you, I'm not going to use them. I have found it easier just to order the entire assembly already assembled.

Make sure you order the four mounting screws as they are self tapping into the aluminum housing and most of the time gall up and you wind up twisting the head off..

Let me know if you want it and I'll ship em to ya.... Free........

Comment

W.G. I certainly appreciate the offer but they have the part locally and while I could get it less online I want to fix it today. Very generous of you sir.

Mike thanks so much for your help, it is cracked in at least two places. One is the easiest to see live but hardest to see in the picture.

Name:	cracked spindle (Medium).jpg
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	24205032

Comment

Working...
                              X