Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-04-2018, 04:41 PM   #1
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily
Default New Matthews Triax - WOW!! (and sight recommnedations)

So my dad's bow got jacked out of his truck the week before Christmas.
I gave him the Z7 that he had given me... with a fresh custom restring and paper tune and got to buy a new bow... WIN-WIN
So I went to the shop yesterday and shot two Matthews bows, a Hoyt and an Elite... it's pretty crazy how different they all feel when shot back-to-back.
The carbon Hoyt had a ring to it after the shot that was nuts... weird balance as well. The Elite stops like a concrete wall with a very soft draw cycle progression. The Z3 felt about like my Z7 did... no surprise there.
The standout was the Triax. Amazing how smooth and quiet this tiny little bow (28") is. I really couldn't believe it. SOLD!
Now I need a sight.
My Z7 has a Vital Gear on it that I like some things about and not others. Single pin that comes in at 45 degrees gives a ton of sight picture-- best feature IMO. Fully adjustable individual detents allow any yardage set-up I want. The thing I don't like about it is the friction of the lever adjustment. It's hard to get it dialed right onto the mark because small adjustments tend to jump when the friction releases. I've tinkered and tinkered with it and no gains.
So I'm probably going to leave it on my (dad's) Z7 and get something new.
I like clear sight pictures and small pins mostly, though I am doing more spot and stalk hunting and think I'm leaning toward a hybrid with 3 adjustable pins so I have a menu of yardages available for a quick unanticipated shot or follow-up but the built in yardage range without a ton of pins in my face.
Currently teetering between the CBE TEK-Hybrid Pro and Black Gold Ascent Verdict, but totally open to thoughts and ideas.
Looking forward to some range time to get it broken in and figure out my stabilizer set-up.

Last edited by meltingfeather; 01-04-2018 at 04:44 PM.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 04:47 PM   #2
Still Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tex, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico

following, my Heli-m was stolen in September. Future Triax is on the radar
Still Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 05:15 PM   #3
jjaimes
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

I got mines I love it!! BLACK Gold sights the way to go for me.
Attached Images

jjaimes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 05:27 PM   #4
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

MBG sights are nice, but look at Spott Hogg. They are a bit heavy, but they are super easy to adjust and very well built.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
BURTONboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 06:23 PM   #5
Notaguide
Four Point

Hunt In: Bosque Co.

Also tuned in to this...looking at the Triax and contemplating the same BG Verdict and CBE Hybrid pro sights. Being use to 5 pin sight makes it hard to make the jump to a single pin. The CBE 3 pin seems extremely well built and the option of adjusting the lower pin out to longer distances seems nice but most my shots are well under 30yrds. That being said, a single pin may make more sense anyway which CBE makes also. Throw the Spott Hogg into the mix and totally confused.
Notaguide is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 06:37 PM   #6
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Thanks, y'all.
Anyone shot the Field Logic IQ?
Old 01-04-2018, 06:40 PM   #7
mzurovec
Ten Point

Hunt In: Blanco, Burnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notaguide View Post
Also tuned in to this...looking at the Triax and contemplating the same BG Verdict and CBE Hybrid pro sights. Being use to 5 pin sight makes it hard to make the jump to a single pin. The CBE 3 pin seems extremely well built and the option of adjusting the lower pin out to longer distances seems nice but most my shots are well under 30yrds. That being said, a single pin may make more sense anyway which CBE makes also. Throw the Spott Hogg into the mix and totally confused.
My dad just put a 3 pin Verdict on his bow and he likes it alot. I have a Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL double pin, and it's my favorite sight I've ever owned. I'm not sure there's a wrong answer here...Good luck!
mzurovec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 08:37 AM   #8
SETXHUNT0902
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: SETX, Fredericksburg

I love my Montana Black Gold single pin. Ive shot a 3 pin sight for as long as i can remember and was finally convinced to go to a single pin and wont ever go back. I love it.
Im shooting the Halon 6 and i dont even have to move the pin on anything between 10-30yrds.
SETXHUNT0902 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 10:12 AM   #9
popup_menace
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Back yard, stand, or my dreams

I just put a 3 pin on my black gold verdict and I love it. Black gold makes a very nice pin and the auto dimming shell keeps the starburst effect to a minimum in very bright light. I highly recommend it.
popup_menace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 10:14 AM   #10
bowsticker
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas: Kinney County and Schleicher County. Louisiana: LaSalle Parish

Congrats
bowsticker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 10:15 AM   #11
popup_menace
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notaguide View Post
I am using a 3 pin slider now after using a single pin for a few years. If you’re going to spot and stalk, I really recommend going to a moveable multi pin. You could always get a 5 pin slider and remove pins if it is too cluttered. Also, you can make whatever pin you want your “floater” I use my middle pin because I feel more accurate that way at long distances.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:22 AM   #12
Bowhica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano-ish

I put an Axcel AccuTouch 3 pin on my Triax. I'll be shooting it this wknd for the first time for distance.
Bowhica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 11:31 AM   #13
Hix
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas- Gregg Co., Cass & Marion Co.

Axcel accutouch single pin for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 01:25 PM   #14
dustinhanna
Eight Point

Hunt In: Val Verde, London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hix View Post
Axcel accutouch single pin for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

x2
dustinhanna is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 04:34 PM   #15
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by popup_menace View Post
I am using a 3 pin slider now after using a single pin for a few years. If you’re going to spot and stalk, I really recommend going to a moveable multi pin. You could always get a 5 pin slider and remove pins if it is too cluttered. Also, you can make whatever pin you want your “floater” I use my middle pin because I feel more accurate that way at long distances.
This is what I'm thinking too.

I've always been a single pin fan for the sight picture, but I'm going on my first elk hunt this year and I've heard and seen a lot of opportunities that come from a bull getting spooked as it comes in close and then stopping at 30-40 yards to look back to see "whatever the heck that was."
Over those few seconds I think making an accurate yardage adjustment on a single pin might compromise the opportunity.
That thought has me leaning toward a multi (3) pin adjustable, where I have a menu of known yardages available for any given setting but also the range that comes with an adjustable that I can dial out to 70 or 80 yards or more.
This is what had me looking hard at the CBE.
Maybe the Axcel with Accu-stat 3 should be on the menu.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:34 PM   #16
matchejm
Ten Point

Hunt In: Comstock tx

I bought a Montana black gold single pin for the triax I ordered today
matchejm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 11:49 AM   #17
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Best of both worlds? I really like the concept of the Trophy Taker Option sight.
Strangely it's not listed on the Trophy Taker Products webpage, but seems to be available for sale.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:06 PM   #18
Jamesl
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Colorado, New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhica View Post
I put an Axcel AccuTouch 3 pin on my Triax. I'll be shooting it this wknd for the first time for distance.
This ^, except on a hoyt which is a much better set up. J/K about the set up but those sights are pretty sweet.
Jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 12:08 PM   #19
sasqy
Eight Point

Hunt In: my sasquatch suit

Just ordered my new Triax today at CCR.
Can’t wait, feelin all giddy inside like a little kid again .
sasqy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 12:14 PM   #20
popup_menace
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
This is what I'm thinking too.

I've always been a single pin fan for the sight picture, but I'm going on my first elk hunt this year and I've heard and seen a lot of opportunities that come from a bull getting spooked as it comes in close and then stopping at 30-40 yards to look back to see "whatever the heck that was."
Over those few seconds I think making an accurate yardage adjustment on a single pin might compromise the opportunity.
That thought has me leaning toward a multi (3) pin adjustable, where I have a menu of known yardages available for any given setting but also the range that comes with an adjustable that I can dial out to 70 or 80 yards or more.
This is what had me looking hard at the CBE.
Maybe the Axcel with Accu-stat 3 should be on the menu.
A single pin sight cost me 2 pigs this season. With deer, a single pin worked fine because once a deer settles in they don’t move around much. WIth pigs they are ALWAYS moving, so multiple pins mean less lost opportunities as long as you know your distances.

Any of the sights that have been mentioned are quality sights. Get a multiple pin slider and go for it!
Old 01-09-2018, 12:15 PM   #21
Bowhica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesl View Post
This ^, except on a hoyt which is a much better set up. J/K about the set up but those sights are pretty sweet.

Sure is pretty though!!

Bowhica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 12:29 PM   #22
dk_ace
Four Point

Hunt In: Grayson and Lamar

I’ll probably never consider anything other than a multi pin slider from now on. I’ve got a couple of seasons in with the spot Hogg fast Eddie now, and I have no complaints with it. Would by another. I’m using the double pin model. With my rig I set the top pin at 25 which makes the bottom pin 40. That works perfect for me from 5-45 yards. Longer than that I range and dial, but that has never been an issue for me. I bought it because I was doing double duty with the sight between target and hunting. If buying again strictly for hunting I’d consider one with more pins even though I’ve been happy with the double pin. If I take it out west I’d want at least a 5 pin I think.

D
dk_ace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 03:26 PM   #23
Jamesl
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Colorado, New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhica View Post
Sure is pretty though!!

Man would you look at the size to those wheels.
Jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 03:47 PM   #24
progolferv1
Four Point

Shot the triax last month. For a small bow, it’s so smooth. The Halon 32 is a little scared right now
progolferv1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2018, 03:34 PM   #25
Still Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tex, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico

Shot the Triax yesterday.

Wow!
Still Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2018, 09:11 PM   #26
Notaguide
Four Point

Hunt In: Bosque Co.

Made a drive to Hoffy's in Lampasas yesterday and walked out with Elevated II limbs and a stone riser, QAD, 6" Flatline stabilizer, and a Black Gold single pin. Wasn't sure about the single pin but really liked the site window and playing around with different distances today. 29.5" draw with Gold Tip Hunter 300's, 50gr insert and 100gr tips pushing 296-298fps on the graph. Impressed with the entire package and especially Aaron setting everything up. Hoping to draw a little blood tomorrow morning.
Notaguide is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top