How to cook ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bowpro12 View Post
    Dang you TC.........just great......i'm starving for ribs again!
    You better fire up the pit brother! those ribs you cooked a few weeks ago looked just right!!!

Comment

I have cooked BB ribs for years and never peeled the silverskin off, can a pro tell me what the difference is...........mine are fall off the bone good and done over wood fire smoker's..........always willin' to learn a new trick!

Comment

I do have to giggle at the "competition judges" and the overcooked comments. So when the meat is so tender it melts in your mouth and/or falls off the bone it is overcooked?

LOL.

I prefer tender, juicy meat that falls apart...including brisket. I cook both kinds of brisket and I "tighten" the ribs back up.......but it's still funny. I prefer what tastes best....not what some professional judges says. Once I cool off my ribs they stick to the bone but be careful....it may just fall apart on you.

Actually it sticks perfectly but if you do it right you can also pull a whole slab of meat off.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Webb View Post
          I have cooked BB ribs for years and never peeled the silverskin off, can a pro tell me what the difference is...........mine are fall off the bone good and done over wood fire smoker's..........always willin' to learn a new trick!
          It is not silver skin....it's a clear membrane. I'm assuming to keep all the innards enclosed inside the rib cage when alive. Think of it as a clear liner or plastic wrap inside the rib cage with the texture of a sausage casing when done. It also keeps spice from penetrating good from the bottom. It take 5 secs to remove.

If you cook a pork rib to where it falls off the bone you may make it so soft you may not notice it. It is very noticeable in beef ribs.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
            I do have to giggle at the "competition judges" and the overcooked comments. So when the meat is so tender it melts in your mouth and/or falls off the bone it is overcooked?

LOL.

I prefer tender, juicy meat that falls apart...including brisket. I cook both kinds of brisket and I "tighten" the ribs back up.......but it's still funny. I prefer what tastes best....not what some professional judges says. Once I cool off my ribs they stick to the bone but be careful....it may just fall apart on you.

Actually it sticks perfectly but if you do it right you can also pull a whole slab of meat off.

I agree about the competition judges and crowd....but

Why do you tighten the ribs back up if you are OK with them falling off the bone?.

Last edited by Smart; 03-18-2014, 02:37 PM.

Comment

So I can slice them to serve other people.

Comment

Touche'..

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                  So I can slice them to serve other people.
                  Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  Touche'..
                  hahaha

Comment

I like to smoke mine with a mix of mesquite and apple wood at 225 for 2.5 hours. The apple wood mixed it keeps the mesquite from making the meat too bitter. I use Salt Lick BBQ rub I can usually find it at HEB. It is a pretty good comercial rub that has good flavor and a lot of black pepper in it to give it a little kick. I will then pull it off the pit and cover them in butter, honey and bown sugar and dust lightly with seasoning again and wrap tightly in foil. Put back on the pit another 2.5 hours. If you want sauce on them then unwrap and lightly sauce and put back on pit another 20 minutes just so it starts glazing up.

Comment

A lot of good ideas and recipes, I rarely pull the membrane off the underside of the rib, I know that Franklin only does it in a competition, at least that is what he claims.

Comment

I always pull the membrane off. Not near as good as smoked ribs but try them in the crock pot on low all day long. Marinade as you do for the pit. Taste great but without the smoke flavor. Wife and I eat them once a month or so. Falling off the bone most time.

Comment

Can't stand it when people think" falling off the bone" means good ribs
                          TC, that's what ribs should look like, those look awesome brother!!

Comment

Try this sometimes.HEB sells a sauce in a jar called Roberts Reserve Pineapple,Coconut,Mango Tequila Sauce.I cook mine about 2 hours and the last 30-45 minutes put in foil and pour this sauce on it.I use about half a jar,soak them good.You talking about good.You can also use this sauce on grilled fish.Stuff is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestarkid View Post
                              Can't stand it when people think" falling off the bone" means good ribs
                              TC, that's what ribs should look like, those look awesome brother!!
                              To each their on. Like them falling off the bone.

Comment

Originally posted by esp View Post
                                I'm planning to cook baby back ribs for my wife's birthday party Saturday. What is the best way to cook them do they are tender and juicy.
                                Cook on pitt for about 2 hrs, then slide into the oven at 225 degrees, in a Dutch oven until tender....sauce is left up to you, personally I leave the sauce at the grocery store.

Comment

Working...
                                X