Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This may help:https://www.google.com/get/sunroof#p=0

Comment

Why will it not cut the bill 100%? There are a ton of people living 100% off the grid using solar and battery systems.

Comment

Solar has been around quite a while now. If it was all that great and paid for itself, you would see a lot more people doing it. I wish my electric bill was as low as yours!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
          Your electric bills are $100, 8 months a year and $150 the other 4?

Am I reading that right???

I would count my blessings if my bills were that low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Ha, I was thinking the same thing. Try 300-400 a month, sometimes higher. Sometimes lower.

Comment

Solar is generally not worth it in Texas. It gets too hot and they do not produce energy at their highest capacities when it reaches the temps we do in Texas (hence why they are so popular in california where the climate is generally milder). They also become marginally less efficient year over year. You could probably make your money back from them and do some good for the environment but by the time you save you money back it will be time to replace.

The way I see it is that its just an alternative source of energy for your home, not a cheaper source of energy for you home.

I work for a custom home builder and this information was told to me by the owner of a solar company that does not even have a system at his own house for the reasons provided.

Comment

Is a wind powered generator an option for you? I know little to nothing about these systems (wind or solar).

Comment

We have 3 people here at our company that have whole home solar and feed back top the electric company. There bill is $7.00 a month, but the only reason they have it is because they had expendable cash from there business. They needed to spend it or pay taxes on it so they got solar. I talked to them about it when I built my house last year and after all the numbers where run its not a good investment. Just cheaper to pay the electric bill.

Comment

No Way its a good idea
                  probably need to increase your home insurance to cover that add value
                  Probably never recover the money spent on the system

Comment

I thought about going solar on our hunting property. Not there 90% of the time so I figured they might owe me money, but I'm glad now that I decided not to. Perfectly placed for solar, perfect roof too, but my electric bill is about $40/$45 a month, so it wouldn't have been worth it in the long run.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by justintyme8303 View Post
                      Why will it not cut the bill 100%? There are a ton of people living 100% off the grid using solar and battery systems.
                      Short answer is those systems can't handle central heat and air. If you can live in Texas w/o ac you are good to go.

Comment

If you did go solar I'd consider placing them beside the house and not on the roof.

Comment

tesla solar shingles

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                            I think you will be much higher than 20K, more like 30K and still won't cut your bill 100%. At best maybe 50%. The numbers....

Current yealy....1400.00
                            Projected savings yearly....700.00
                            Cost 30000.00 - 9000.00 Tax saving= 21000
                            21000/700= 30 years to recover initial investment.
                            If you add in repairs and maint.......to dang long.
                            The cost is for 12 years. Roughly 25k then the rebate brings it down a bit. Enough system to cover 102% of my highest monthly usage. The company warranties for twenty years. But who knows if they will even be around by then. The monthly bill to the energy company would be seven bucks. On paper anyway.

Just under a 5kw system.

Not really interested in 5.79 a watt.

The retired neighbors are getting them installed. Not sure how they are going to recover the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                              Your electric bills are $100, 8 months a year and $150 the other 4?

Am I reading that right???

I would count my blessings if my bills were that low.

Yes that is correct. Since the utility provider is having to take coal fired plants off line they have to be able to increase rates to make up the lost power to the grid with less efficient, more expensive power sources

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                                Yes that is correct. Since the utility provider is having to take coal fired plants off line they have to be able to increase rates to make up the lost power to the grid with less efficient, more expensive power sources

What I was getting at is your electric bills are cheap.

My bill is $200-300 between May and October. Nov-April $75-150.

I have thought about putting some panels on my house but I don’t think the cost will offset the bill enough to make it worth it.

FYI my house is 2000 sqft and was built in 2007.

Comment

Working...
                                X