Hill country SNA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hill country SNA

Has anyone ever hunted the Hillcountry SNA? I'm trying to find out what to expect. What is the terrain like. Can you see great distances or short senderos. What should I take, a tripod or pop up blind? Or both. Any information or insight would be appreciated.

I've never been to hill country SNA, but I have been on several draw hunts. My recemondation is to take everything you can fit in your truck. You never know what you might need. The terrain may be different from one compartment to the next in the SNA. Set up and corn "if allowed" multiple spots. If you have a trail camera run the camera at the spot your not hunting. Good luck.

Comment

Here's a short list of some of the things I take.

Tripod
      Popup blind
      Loppers and gloves
      Pole pruners
      Shovel for brush blinds (to dig a hole for my feet to sit in, in low brush areas)
      Rake (to clean the ground so your feet don't make noise when you move around)

Comment

Never hunted there but I have been there. It's mostly a cedar thicket with some fallow ag fields along West Verde Creek (bisects the park N/S), those old fields are the most open areas with good visibility, mostly from the middle of the property to the south boundary but really close to facilities so they may off limits. Bandera Creek runs east/west across the property, cant recall seeing fallow fields along it though. The north half of the property has some taller hills with some deeper drainages while the south half is more gently rolling with shallower drainages. There is a powerline at the south end of the park that runs I believe N/S along the west park boundary, its ROW is clear of vegetation. If I recall correctly there are more what I would consider "hunt-able" clearings in the south half of the park. I'm assuming this is a compartment hunt.

Hope this helps. Post pics of you deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Schubert6689 View Post
          Has anyone ever hunted the Hillcountry SNA? I'm trying to find out what to expect. What is the terrain like. Can you see great distances or short senderos. What should I take, a tripod or pop up blind? Or both. Any information or insight would be appreciated.
          When will you be there? My group got picked for the doe/spike Jan 18-20. We have never been there before.

Comment

Originally posted by TXFireFighter View Post
            When will you be there? My group got picked for the doe/spike Jan 18-20. We have never been there before.
            The Hill Country SNA is antlerless only. No spikes this year.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinBradbery View Post
              The Hill Country SNA is antlerless only. No spikes this year.
              Ok thanks for the info. Did you hunt there this year?

Comment

Originally posted by TXFireFighter View Post
                Ok thanks for the info. Did you hunt there this year?
                Yeah we were there for the first hunt. I took a nice mature doe but it took lots of work. Most of the area is covered by cedars pretty bad.

Comment

Up to the top. My group is headed there monday, does anybody have anymore info to help us on our hunt? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X