James Daughtery WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

James Daughtery WMA

I got lucky and drew James Daughtery WMA for the last week of This month. I really don't know much about it. Has anybody hunted there and do you have any advice, tips, suggestions to help me plan? If you want feel free to PM me. What type blind did you Hunt out of, etc... Thanks! Also isn't the rut in that part of the state much later like early December?
    Last edited by SolocamShooter; 10-02-2015, 06:30 PM.

In for info myself, got drawn for the management hunt there in early December.

Comment

I hunted a lease a couple miles from there for 15 years (been gone 2 years now). If it's like our lease, mostly you'll need to hunt off the ground, either pop-up type blinds or brush blinds. There were some trees on our place we could hang a stand but not many.
      Rut is usually mid December on into January. That country holds some pretty good bucks but they're not easy to hunt.
      Good luck to both of you; hope you are successful.

Comment

Ttt anyone else? Here's my dilemma... I've got a week of vacation to burn during bow season. Do I take my week and go to Daughtery when it's not the rut yet or do I stay around here and hunt the peak rut in east Texas.

Comment

Ive hunted Daughtrey three times. There are some good deer there. Take a pop up blind and a packable or foldable ladder stand if you can. If they let you bait I highly suggest the apple flavored corn from walmart. Congrats and good luck.

Comment

Oh, and some of the compartments will have stands already set up that you can use if you want to.

Comment

I have hunted it twice. Once with my boys on a doe/spike hunt about 5 years ago and last year on a youth turkey hunt. They will assign you a compartment based upon where you are stay. If you stay in the camp ground by the check-in station you will get a compartment there. On the deer hunt we stayed at the state park and hunted just down the road from there. There are some really nice bucks there and the cover is thick!

Bow hunting I would hunt from a pop up. A short ladder stand or tripod could work too. Go with your gut. If you think an area looks good then trust your instincts. They will let you bait. Take a couple of game cams and bait a couple of spots. I have done this on several public hunts to hone in on a hot area. The areas around the check-in station look really good but I have never deer hunted there.

Good Luck!!!

Comment

Anyone else going or been in the past?

Comment

I have not hunted it before but have been lucky enough to get drawn for the gun deer either sex in January. Super excited and looking for as much info as possible as well. Thanks and Good Luck to everyone who has been drawn.

Comment

I will be there hunting the North Shore Unit at Choke in December for a management hunt. I've never hunted the North Shore Unit and if anyone has hunted this section, please give me an idea of what to expect.
                    I did hunt the Daughtrey back in the 90's (bowhunt/rifle) and the camp ground had port-a-potties and you had to stay in a tent. I don't know if you can take a small camper. You would need to call them. I will be staying at the Calliham unit in a tent (if its not too cold) and they have showers and a good restroom there. It is cheap to camp there.
                    With the rains we had over the spring and early summer, the deer should have some great "racks" and be very heavy overall. I spoke with a manager at the Daughtrey and he said the deer were very plentiful this year.
                    When I hunted back in the 90's, I did hunt Compartment 14 along Hwy 72; around Mason Point; around Hwy 99 bridge and one compartment by the Headquarters. Wherever you hunt, it should be good. I would definitely come to hunt in late October and pass on an East Texas hunt.

Comment

Postcard hunt?

Me and a buddy were drawn for the 24th. He is not sure if he can make it. We have never been.

Comment

Originally posted by bow_hunter View Post
                        Postcard hunt?

Me and a buddy were drawn for the 24th. He is not sure if he can make it. We have never been.
                        Did you make it to the hunt with your buddy? If so how it go?

Comment

Working...
                        X