Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Business Owners/Entrepreneurs Thread. Your story?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Radar View Post
    Your gonna have to be a people person because you are representing your company and product. People will remember your for being a world class dik or a super nice guy that follows thru. Look at how many threads there is about Viking Archery on here.

BUT dont be afraid to fire a customer either, I have had to learn that the hard and expensive way. You are in business to make money, there is no time to deal with that guy who beats you up over price and is blowing your phone up whining. More than likely those types are slow payers or no payers. I aint got time for "No Pay Jose", I have no problem walking away and letting that "guy" bankrupt my competition.

I was also guilty of trying to help out a customer that I felt sorry for, I wasted a lot of money with the "down and out guys". Sometimes you just gotta walk away.

When I first started up I wanted every one's business and would do whatever I had to do to get it. Over the years I realized how much money I lost with that mentality and started weeding out companies and people. I deal with a lot of people every week, I still get frustrated at times.
    Roger that. I know being a jerk would be an issue, but know a lot of business is just because they "like" you. I dont think anyone ( well, nobody I deal with professionally ) thinks Im a jerk, but Im not a guy people particularly like.

I do have a hard time turning down work, even if its a "bad" job. I always hope it leads to a relationship that brings me more work. I have noticed that some will take advantage of you if you do the hard stuff. Seems like if you always bail em out and do the hot jobs due asap, some ONLY call you when they need it asap

Comment

I started framing houses with my dad when I was 12 or 13 years old.. over the years we did everything from framing to trim to concrete work. At 24 I was working for a mold remediation company making 20 bucks an hour . I did everything from bid the jobs to pick up the checks.. I decided if I could do it for them I could do it for myself.. I started out small doing work from realestate companies when they were trying to get houses ready to sell.. one thing led to another and I had a framing/ remodel crew and a 20 man concrete crew working for me full time.. my dad quit his job to run the remodel side.. after about 13 years finding legal non druggy employees got to be to hard.. my dad passed away and I didnt have the drive I once did. The stress weighed heavily on me and I was done..
      I decided to take a job in operations at a plant.. no more phone calls or waiting on it to stop raining so I can work.
      I now have a Great Pension, health care ,401k etc.

Comment

We built, and run, a wedding venue. We have no employees other than wife and I and for some weddings we hire some high school kids to help. Took longer to grow than I expected but after 2 yrs in we are pretty well booked. Researched all other wedding venues we felt were competition and able to be less expensive than all of them and include a lot of items for couples to use that other venues nickel and dime them for. Many couples like dealing with the owners rather than paid staff like the corporate, or investment groups, have. Those managers don't really have skin in the game. A group is building one about 2 miles from us but for what they have spent on the land and building I think they will struggle, too many think you just build an venue and people. will throw money your way. Based on my estimates their monthly debt service on average is going to be $12,000 or more plus managers, yard staff, cleaning, etc.....which we do all our own as we live on property. Actually funny to see the looks on peoples faces when they realize we are the owners not hired help. Have had many photographers, planners, etc.....kind of turn their nose up at us and once we go home and clean up and return they say "oh, you're the owners?".....nice thing about it is we hear all sorts of comments about the venue when they think we just work there. I'm a fireman and wife raises horses at our place so we have the time and ability to handle things ourselves, if we had employees it would be cost prohibitive and a nightmare.

We don't get all the weddings that tour but a lot of them we would rather not have. One aspect that really gets old is tours that schedule then no show, no call, text, emails. We have also made many changes based on our experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by buckfan50 View Post
          I guess you could say I got into this due to hunting. Four years ago both my sons harvested their first bucks. I wanted to do something special with the euros so I started searching and found a hydrographics page and purchased a kit to dip the skulls. After a couple of failed attempts we had some success and I really liked how cool the process was. I set myself up with homemade equipment and started doing it as a hobby. I have been a production manager for a very big paint manufacture for the past 17 years and we received notice over a year ago that the plant would be closing at the end of May 2019. In April I had posted a picture of a football helmet that I had dipped on a hydrographic forum page and was contacted by a guy to do a few helmets for him. That led to several other memorabilia collectors wanting work done including a very big dealer in Texas wanting more than 50 helmets a month. They get the helmets autographed by current and past NFL players and then resell the helmets. We formed an LLC early this month, got my fed tax number and set up a business account. We were fortunate that I was able to retire from the paint company and have our medical insurance come out of my pension and the severance package more than paid off every debit we had. I'm not making a killing but at 60 years old we will make enough to easily pay the bills to run our household and then some until I can hopefully retire at 65. Plus it's nice to be able to walk to my shop next to the house to work. I'm still very nervous about running my own business. Meeting with a CPA next week. Wish us luck! Here's a picture of one of our creations! Signed by DeAndre Hopkins.
          Pretty cool! I could see motorcycle guys wanting stuff like this on their helmets.

Comment

I started a side welding business in the middle eighties. My job at South Western Bell paid decent and my wife worked but I just wanted more and I love building things. The last several years that I worked for Bell, I actually made more welding part time. The part time actually was more than 40 hours a week as well. I retired from the career job at 50 and just kept on with the metal fab stuff and am trying to retire again at 69. I just bought 223 acres so I may just be retired now.

Two things that I went by in my business; do small things cheap or free. It's advertising in the finest sense, word of mouth and all that. When I lost money on a job or hardly made enough, I just called it the price of an education. It kept things from getting to me.

Comment

I feel like it is pretty easy to make money if your not scared of the labor involved. You will likely work for 2 bucks/hour most of the time until you figure it out. It takes most people about 5 years to ever really be profitable. I did figure out early on that debt free is the only way to roll.
              It is easier to run a business with you being the only employee. That is a double edged sword. If your always the man doing the work, then your not out making more cash somewhere else. I am not great at dealing with employees, but I am learning. Everyone is different and that is hard for me to understand.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

I made the leap about 90 days ago as a commercial fire sprinkler contractor. Everything is still in its infancy but it certainly is much more fulfilling than working for someone else. It’ll make you disciplined real quick. Super easy to justify spending money. Having a mentor is
                Invaluable.

The way business is done and the people leading those businesses is changing. I was done watching a bunch of others repeat the same tired business models and live a better life than I was. Did my homework, figured
                Out the capital situation, and pulled the trigger. Every industry is different but I picked a specific section of the industry to focus on. Risk exposure is very real.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have always respected the folks that can take the leap to starting their own business. IMHO you have to be wired for it with all the risks that is involved. My hats off to each of you. I have ventured off the path and started small side gigs but I always had my regular job to fall back on. I retired early so it’s definitely off my radar now. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                    Roger that. I know being a jerk would be an issue, but know a lot of business is just because they "like" you. I dont think anyone ( well, nobody I deal with professionally ) thinks Im a jerk, but Im not a guy people particularly like.

I do have a hard time turning down work, even if its a "bad" job. I always hope it leads to a relationship that brings me more work. I have noticed that some will take advantage of you if you do the hard stuff. Seems like if you always bail em out and do the hot jobs due asap, some ONLY call you when they need it asap
                    Be super honest. You will see the blame game going around. If you screw up you call them before they find out and tell them you screwed up. I did this and the people in charge were stunned because no one ever takes the blame. Once they trust you they should use you. And then you can charge whatever you want and they will still use you unless something forces them not to.

You don't have to be one of those people guys that everyone loves. You just need to make their job go smooth and easy.

And never be afraid to charge a lot more for the bad jobs. Again, just be honest up front. Tell them if they're more regular clients you can work with them more on prices (if they ask or complain about the higher price).

Comment

I’m in the very beginning stages of mine as well. I have a full time fire department job. With only working 10 days a month a side gig is a no brainer. At first I was just working PT for other departments but I wanted something more. I’ve always been intrigued by sales so that’s naturally what I gravitated towards. Started selling roofs for a buddy and became addicted to the money. I’m 5 years into roofing now and make almost as much as i do at the FD on the side. Been thinking about going at it full time but can’t make myself dump the pension this early. I’m really hoping I can make it last another 10 years as a part time job but it’s going to be hard!!

Comment

I'm about to take the plunge myself. I'm sick of egotistical managers that can't lead and communicate. Real leaders don't treat employees like dogs. I'm tired of the office gossip, especially from company leaders. It would be stressful going out on your own and taking a jump but it sure beats a caustic work environment. Maybe I am just unlucky, but everywhere I go I have worked my butt off, came early and left late, done everything with a 110% attitude, and brought worth to the company only to be taken for granted. One day I am going to expect alot from my employees but I am going to treat them fairly and support them. The employees that help put value into my company will be valued.
                        Last edited by yotethumper; 07-15-2019, 12:47 PM.

Comment

I dropped out of high school at 16 and have almost never held a job for someone else, never really wanted to but also didn't qualify. I spent my younger years in the construction business, I made plenty of money but was too young to be smart with it. In 2006 construction busted with the mortgage crisis, and I had my first of 3 back surgeries and needed an easier job. I got together with my brother and started a security alarm company. We sold that company close to 5 years ago to a fortune 250(that I can't name). I took a few years off after that but since then have started a few other businesses that keep me very busy. I'm 41 now and plan to but in about 4 or 5 more years before I put it on cruise control.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                            My one and only biggest problem is employees within our family business. 35+ employees

If i was to start something new i would make it something that would cap out with a handful of employees. By that i mean something that could be ran and operated efficiently with 3-4 people max.

At the end of the day, money, supplies etc is nothing. Employees are 80+% of our stress and problems.
                            X2....33 employees at our firm

Comment

at the end of the day any business owner should be about relationships. Develop relationships with your customers and they will refer you to their friends and on and on.

Good buddy of mine started out years ago running a bull dozier for someone. He then started his own site prep company and over 20 years built one heck of a business.

He did it by developing relationships with the right folks - took them hunting and fishing, supported their causes, etc. He sold his company a couple of years ago for millions. It did not happen by accident - He had no special training or college - just a savvy guy who worked hard and treated folks right.

Comment

Know your limitations and never exceed them. Treat every person you deal with respectfully, fairly and do each job as if you are paying someone else to do it for you. Pay your taxes.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X