Oilfield Vocation Questions ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oilfield Vocation Questions ?

My son is wanting to go into this field and looking for a little info and guidance. Is there some class or possibly a school or trade that would get him a better chance of succedding ? He is # 2 or # 3 in his class so he is no slouch but does not want to go to college, wants to get out and make the "big" money. Also if anyone has a lead that would be appreciated.Thanks in advance for any advice and input.

My recommendation is tell him to go I to oilfield production. He can go to college for it but the best thing would be to go to school for engineering. I work in production and it's good money and alot safer then working drilling but it takes a while to move up. Even going thru school for it there it still takes along time for experience and that's the key to move up in this field bar none! Tell him to try and get a summer job out here in the gulf doing summer work and that will help him get hired in the future.

Comment

Here is a good article I read the other day. Have him take a look at this.

RIGZONE News - leading source for the latest news and information for the oil and gas industry

Comment

If he's 2 or 3 in his class, I'd try to talk him into college. He can make big bucks after a fun 4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Rather_B_Fishin View Post
          My recommendation is tell him to go I to oilfield production. He can go to college for it but the best thing would be to go to school for engineering. I work in production and it's good money and alot safer then working drilling but it takes a while to move up. Even going thru school for it there it still takes along time for experience and that's the key to move up in this field bar none! Tell him to try and get a summer job out here in the gulf doing summer work and that will help him get hired in the future.
          x2
          im in production its great money and stable

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
            If he's 2 or 3 in his class, I'd try to talk him into college. He can make big bucks after a fun 4 years.
            Tried but can't convince him, right now. I really can't say to much as I didn't go to college until I was 21 and then "I" was ready and knew what I wanted to do.

Comment

There is a rig school in Wyoming if he goes there he might change his mind about going to collage.

Comment

He either needs to get a degree in petroleum engineering, geophysics, something along those lines, or he will have to work his way up which will probably take closer to 6-8 years before he makes what he would coming straight out of college with a petroleum degree.

Comment

Some companies like the one I work for offer assistance with college funding while allowing you to work in different positions in the field for experience. Kind of like a fast track program for college kids but you must work for the company for a certain length of time upon completion of college. I believe the college that works with them is in South West Louisiana. Maybe this will give him some incentive. Check out www.deepwater.com

Comment

If he plans on coming to the oilfield without a degree in something that pertains to the oilfield he will be a worn just like everyone that starts in the oilfield.
                    He will have to work his way up the ladder and lots of hard work,but believe me if he is that smart he should go to school and in the in the long he will he better off and also be making great money..... I've been doing it for 20 yrs and if I could go back in time I would go to
                    school and get a education in the oilfield business.

But I wish him the best in the descision he makes!

Comment

The oil field is a totally diff animal then most work forces. Does he want to work on land or the water? I've never worked on land but everyone I've talk to said the money is better out here in the gulf. It's hard to get into the field without experience or without knowing someone. Some contact companies he can research are Wood Group Production Services (WGPSN) or Island production.

Comment

Originally posted by HELLRAZOR View Post
                        If he plans on coming to the oilfield without a degree in something that pertains to the oilfield he will be a worn just like everyone that starts in the oilfield.
                        He will have to work his way up the ladder and lots of hard work,but believe me if he is that smart he should go to school and in the in the long he will he better off and also be making great money..... I've been doing it for 20 yrs and if I could go back in time I would go to
                        school and get a education in the oilfield business.

But I wish him the best in the descision he makes!
                        I know a bunch of worms that are multi-millionaires right now, they did not have a college education, they worked their way up the ladder. School is not for everyone, if you have good sense and a lot of drive you can be very successful, college education can be over rated.

Comment

Production is the way to go for stablity. The drilling and construction side is a rollercoaster. After an asset is developed it has to be maintained to produce for its lifetime.

Comment

I just got into the production side with zero experience. I've been a rancher for 12 years since I got out of college.

I had several connections in the oil and gas industry, got my resume in the hands of the right foremen, and got hired on.

I'm 34 with a college degree and work with experienced 20 year olds with just a hs education.

It's all about getting your foot in the door, being yourself, working hard, and sticking with it...the rest will take care of itself.

Good luck!!!

Skinny

Comment

I know a bunch of worms that are multi-millionaires right now, they did not have a college education, they worked their way up the ladder. School is not for everyone, if you have good sense and a lot of drive you can be very successful, college education can be over rated.

Am not saying he wont make money,everyone in the oilfield make good money and yes even a new hand in the field,am just saying if u could get an educastion in the oilfield department it would make it easier to make great money and it would be easier in a good company to pick you and also you wont really get old fast lol.

But true if u dont want to attend school thats up to anyone but if you have the oppertunity to attend college thats something not every kid has a chance to do!

Comment

Working...
                              X