Neighbor problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neighbor problems

So I've got some neighbor issues. I just caught my neighbor reaching over my fence squirting my dogs with the water hose.

Quick back story, one of my dogs can clear a 7ft fence. My other neighbors have dogs, behind me and to the other side of me. Occasionally when they are outside at the same time, he likes to jump over and play with them. And the neighbors will let them play until I realize he has gone over to visit. They are all pretty cool with him and love him. All my surrounding neighbors are all rentals and I have tried getting a hold of all the owners to try and pitch in for a new fence(since we need one anyways) with no luck of contact. Well the 3rd neighbor on the otherside of me knocked on my door yesterday told me my dog was in their yard. Thought that was pretty untypical so I went over and got him. They told me they found a dog running around without a tag that morning and they were calling animal control to pick it up. I blew it off because in the 3 years we have been here they've never had a dog. So I just chalked it up to a one time thing.

Well I've got two dogs and the one that jumps the fence I keep inside most of the day and let my GSP run around in the back yard because he needs it. I came home today and was on the phone but heard my GSP barking like crazy. I stayed in my truck and finished my phone call. Wife got home, fed the dogs inside and let both of them back out by the time I got in the house. Then my GSP started barking again, so I went outside and spanked them and told them to hush up. I noticed fence was wet and my dogs were too. Walked in and told my wife "I think they are spraying our dogs with water". Never really thought anything else of it.

Well wife took a nap and I was working and both dogs were outside. I had music playing but typically I can hear them barking over it if there is an issue. 30 minutes later my wife came in and said they were spraying dogs. In my mind I'm thinking like water spraying up in the air and just kind of raining on them. I look out the back window and the dude is standing up on the fence, jet stream on, arm over the fence spraying my dogs.

Part of me says it's harmless and I want him to do it to hopefully keep my dog from jumping the fence. But I go out there and confront him over the fence . He accuses my dog of jumping the fence and trying to bite the dog(there was one currently in his backyard). There was a girl back there, I don't know if it was her dog or the found dog. I told him if he was biting it is was a play bite(some dogs like to nibble at the back of other dogs necks when playing) and not a hurtful bite. Then explained to him the fence issue. He said he would talk his land lord. I told him until them not to spray my dogs again. Then he told me to keep my dog on my side of the fence or he'll call animal control and have them put him down. I bite my tongue and moved(that was pretty hard).

So what do I need to do to protect myself? I told my wife if she sees him doing again to record it. I'm afraid he is going to antagonize my dog if he keeps doing it. And he might jump the fence and bite because he is being threatened by water. Or I'm afraid he is going to poison my dogs, try to lure him over to call animal control and try to get my dog to bite him..... Any thoughts?

My first reaction is to chain him up but our yard is relatively small in sense of we have patio furniture, fire pit, and a storage building that he could get tangled up in. So the next thing is to build an 8ft fence...well I really don't want to have to foot that bill and have to build the fence myself with out splitting the bill. (Split the cost of the 6ft build and I'd pay for the 8ft upgrade.) But it sounds like I'm about to have to drop 2K on this stretch of fence if they keep their dog. Unless anybody else has better solutions....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you're the problem, not him.

Comment

Keep you dog contained . Electric fence or underground fence should stoo it. I’ve seen dogs walk through it but can’t imagine one being able to climb

Comment

You can get a privacy net and put it on top of the existing fence. I had a problem similar to this and this was what I was going to so. It is 30" tall by as long as you want it. I ordered mine from Amazon and it was $30ish. Screw some 2x2 post to your fence sticking up 2' or higher and screw this to it(it has grommets ever 4' or so.

Comment

Control your dog?

Comment

I don't think you will like allot of these responses.

Comment

Did u not just hear about that lady that got her hand nearly bit off by the neighbors dog that jumped the fence-
              Like a week ago here in austin- good family dog and all, dog got put down and owners are liable

Her hand was so badly mangled they had to amputate alot of it

Dogs are dogs, please protect yourself and your neighbors bc if he pushes them and they jump and bite him guess what ur on the hook

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                Sounds like you're the problem, not him.
                I was about to say the same thing. Build a taller fence. Sounds to me like your neighbor is more tolerant than me. He only sprayed water.

I think your neighbors have a neighbor issue.
                Last edited by Monark; 04-23-2018, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Sooo you wanted your neighbors to pitch in on a taller fence because YOUR dog is causing the problems and you don’t like your neighbors spraying them with a hose because they’re in his yard? Not tryna be a SA but that’s a little crazy. I know dogs and know if they can get out they will because they don’t understand boundaries. I don’t blame a neighbor when my hounds get on their place. That’s my fault cause I couldn’t catch them.

Comment

Sounds like you need to figure out a way to keep your dog in your yard. Hopefully it won’t escalate and both of you will be happy

Comment

Put a roof on it and keep your dog in it when you’re not outside with him.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                        Keep you dog contained . Electric fence or underground fence should stoo it. I’ve seen dogs walk through it but can’t imagine one being able to climb
                        X2

Comment

Sounds like you’re the one that needs the fence, so you should probably pony up.

Comment

It’s you. Take responsibility for your animals.

Comment

Don't mean to sound harsh, but you're the neighbor problem. I don't care if a neighbor told me it was just a "play bite".

Doesn't matter if he keeps a pile of steaks on his side of the fence, your dogs should not be crossing into someone else's yard. Part of owning dogs is being responsible for them, i.e. Fencing them in yourself.
                              Last edited by BigRed323; 04-23-2018, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X