Cows trespassing. What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cows trespassing. What to do?

Kill 'em and grill 'em is not the answer I'm looking for. At least not yet.

One of my hunters is very upset and rightfully so. He has 1000 pics of 4 cows eating 600# of corn out of his feeders. The north fence of my lease borders a cow pasture. My hunter contacted the sheriffs department. They came out, and found the daughter of the owner (elderly owner is in the hospital sick). The daughter, with her husband and son came over to my lease (with my permission) to look for their cows. They did not find them. My Hunter says when the cows see him they run. The owners family members are going to try and locate the 4 cows again today. My question is how long do I let this continue? Do I give these folks unlimited access to my place in order to find these cows? Do I tell them they have a week or two weeks? Should I tell the sheriff if they don't find and remove them by a certain date my hunters will shoot them if they hit the feeders? Need some advice please. Right now I'm hoping they find them and get the cows moved. It doesn't seem like the lady I've talked to has much experience with cattle though.

Think youre supposed to paint them purple? or was that fence posts? can cows see color? not sure...

Comment

Don't tell them you're going to shoot them. It's illegal to shoot them and if something happens y'all will be the first ones they look at. I'd give them a week or so and if they can't get them out, the Sheriff's Office should have some cowboys they use that can catch them and either return them to the owner or haul them to the sale barn. The cattle owner will be responsible for the cowboy fees. Then the fence needs to be fixed.

Comment

Tell the lady they are eating about $100 in corn per day and you expesct to be reimbursed for damages. Ask if she or who is responsible for payment.

Comment

You have to let the sheriff handle it by Texas law sad but true.

Comment

In Texas it is your responsibilitiy to keep cows out, not the other way around.

Comment

Livestock are property. If you shoot one, you will have to buy it. Probably pay much more than its worth. I agree with above, send them a bill for feed.

Comment

Originally posted by TTU TX Hunter View Post
                Nope, depends on county. Owners of cattle are still responsible for damages.

Comment

Originally posted by TTU TX Hunter View Post
                  Pretty sure this is not right (with all due respect).

Unfortunately when cows learn that they can get out they will try their level best to do it again--at least these 4 guilty critters. Good luck in your roundup.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                    Polk County

Comment

Ive seen cows knock feeders over, then stand there and eat enough corn to die from it. Have the hunters lay the feeder down to allow access, self eliminating problem. Actually I'd probably go help the other landowner find where the cows are getting through and help fix the fence, otherwise it won't be long before the rest of them show up in your pasture.

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
                        Pretty sure this is not right (with all due respect).

Unfortunately when cows learn that they can get out they will try their level best to do it again--at least these 4 guilty critters. Good luck in your roundup.
                        For the most part Texas is a fence out state unless Counties pass laws stating they are a fence in county. County Commissioners can tell you what said county is.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                          Depends on if it's an open range county or not

Comment

Go fix the fences

Comment

Originally posted by CRM_95 View Post
                              Don't tell them you're going to shoot them. It's illegal to shoot them and if something happens y'all will be the first ones they look at. I'd give them a week or so and if they can't get them out, the Sheriff's Office should have some cowboys they use that can catch them and either return them to the owner or haul them to the sale barn. The cattle owner will be responsible for the cowboy fees. Then the fence needs to be fixed.
                              This.

Comment

Working...
                              X