No announcement yet.

Rem 700 build suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 7mm RUM in the Remington 700 that I have been shooting for over 10 years. I don't shoot it a lot because it is not a rifle, like my varmint calibers, that I take out and shoot a lot of rounds at a given time.
    My go to load for it is the Barnes TTSX 145 gr LRX over H1000. I have it topped with a Leupold 4.5x14 with a CDS dial specific to this load.
    I don't worry about burning a barrel out on it because I don't run a ton of rounds through it. While there are a lot of long range calibers out there, I can tell that this round will get it done for whatever distance I want to shoot it.
    Just another caliber for you to think about.

Comment

Thanks again for the help guys.
      Right now it's still looking like a 264 wm or the 7 Rem mag.

Comment

So finally got my hands on the stock I want to use and picked up a bottom metal setup with the magazine and spring off of fleabay... short actions are everywhere but the long action bottom pieces are a little more scarce

Pretty much just down to buying a trigger and figuring out which barrel.
        Caliber wise I think I'm just going to stick with the 7mm Remington mag. Based mostly on the ability to sling a slightly heavier pill and still have the ability to find a variety of good factory ammo until reloading comes more into play.

Comment

Based on your reasons it sounds to me like you are making a good decision. Personally I’d take the 264wm any day over the 7mag but that is just my preference as a hand loader.

Now get you that barrel and give it all to a reputable Smith so you can start shooting!

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Can't go wrong with the .264WM .. Shoot those 140gr VLD's at over 3100 fps!

Comment

Well. Ordered a barrel
              decided to take the 6.5 route and go .264 win mag
              Shilen Match grade 1:8 twist #17 contour (sendero) 28" in length.

Admittedly I wanted something different, and since I already have a .280 I figured I'm good enough in the 7mm category for the time being. Besides, midway had the barrel in stock and the 7mm I wanted was backordered.

Comment

Love when those decisions get made for you! Good luck on your new build!! Keep us updated on the progress.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Excellent choice and just in time for the new 155 Bergers which are due out soon.

Have you decided on a smith yet?

Comment

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
                    Well. Ordered a barrel
                    decided to take the 6.5 route and go .264 win mag
                    Shilen Match grade 1:8 twist #17 contour (sendero) 28" in length.

Admittedly I wanted something different, and since I already have a .280 I figured I'm good enough in the 7mm category for the time being. Besides, midway had the barrel in stock and the 7mm I wanted was backordered.
                    will the Stock you have work with a sendero contour barrel?

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                      Love when those decisions get made for you! Good luck on your new build!! Keep us updated on the progress.

Sierracharlie out…
                      Right? Not like I couldn't have waited but this morning it seemed logical enough, !'m sure down the road ill go back to thinking I need a 7mm again

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                      Excellent choice and just in time for the new 155 Bergers which are due out soon.

Have you decided on a smith yet?
                      I was looking into that a bit, most of the early stuff I've seen wasn't really dedicated to the 264 win mag but rather the shorter 6.5's

To run that long of a pill I'm trying to figure out if ill have to have the chamber setup any differently or if what I was reading was just the shorter action stuff.

And no sir not sure on the smith. Considering APR just because they sponser here and everyone seems pleased with them, but also considered finding someone closer to my area and keep it more local. I would have just gone with pac-nor had I used there barrel but since I bought the barrel myself I dismissed that.

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                      will the Stock you have work with a sendero contour barrel?
                      Not entirely sure but I think the barrel channel can be opened up enough.
                      If nits not reasonable, Ill look into something else and save the stock I have

Comment

I haven't looked into it at all, but I bet you'll be fine with the 155's considering you're running a long action which can handle 300WM and even longer, yet the 264 case is considerably shorter than the 300's case. I bet you'll be fine.
                        On top of that, if you have to seat the bullet a little deeper into the case and it protrudes below the neck shoulder junction a little, it's not the end of the world. It's not ideal or perfect, but I bet there's not more than a handful of shooters who can shoot well enough to see the accuracy loss. Yes you lose a little powder space, but who cares? You're already shooting an overbore round, it'll be okay. Just make sure the ogive is above the case mouth wand you'll be fine IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
                          I haven't looked into it at all, but I bet you'll be fine with the 155's considering you're running a long action which can handle 300WM and even longer, yet the 264 case is considerably shorter than the 300's case. I bet you'll be fine.
                          On top of that, if you have to seat the bullet a little deeper into the case and it protrudes below the neck shoulder junction a little, it's not the end of the world. It's not ideal or perfect, but I bet there's not more than a handful of shooters who can shoot well enough to see the accuracy loss. Yes you lose a little powder space, but who cares? You're already shooting an overbore round, it'll be okay. Just make sure the ogive is above the case mouth wand you'll be fine IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
                          That's pretty much what I was betting on as well, being as I haven't gotten totally into reloading yet I just didn't dig into it too hard. I figured by the time I do someone will have figured that out and probably will even be a recipe out there.

On the issue of the stock barrel channel, I dug around a bit via google and turned up this.

Apparently someone has done it. As to how feasible it is or how much material is left is to be determined. The stock I have WAS off of a 300 RUM I think...so the barrel channel should be the heavy magnum contour already. So I don't think its going to be a far cry from doable

Comment

I think you will be happy with the 264 especially at the ranges you mentioned.

Best advice I can give is go with a reputable Smith even if it means waiting longer or having to send your rifle out.

APR seems to have a good rep here. Also check out Long Rifles Inc in South Dakota. I have two rifles done by them and not only are they hammers but they are super fast turn around.

GA Precision
                            Spartan Rifles
                            Beanland Customs

to name a few.

And Horizon Firearms out of Bryan/College Station is putting out some good stuff as well.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                              I think you will be happy with the 264 especially at the ranges you mentioned.

Best advice I can give is go with a reputable Smith even if it means waiting longer or having to send your rifle out.

APR seems to have a good rep here. Also check out Long Rifles Inc in South Dakota. I have two rifles done by them and not only are they hammers but they are super fast turn around.

GA Precision
                              Spartan Rifles
                              Beanland Customs

to name a few.

And Horizon Firearms out of Bryan/College Station is putting out some good stuff as well.

Sierracharlie out…

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into them

I'm stuck at work but had the Gf shoot me a picture of the barrel channel. Looks like there's enough meat there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like you will be able to get a sendaro contour in there no problem with minor trimming if any. Of course your smith will take care of that no problem

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Working...
                                X