Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any correctional officers on the green screen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any correctional officers on the green screen?

My oldest son (30) is thinking about starting a new career and was asking me if I knew any CO's that he could get more info about that line of work.

If there are any CO's on here and you have the time could you give him a call? If you PM me I can give you his name and number, Or give me your number and he can call you.

Thanks!

Marty
    Last edited by Cur_Dog; 11-14-2018, 06:08 AM.

Not to discourage him, but I know a ton of CO's and very few of them are happy. At least the ones that work for the state. The main complaints I hear are never being fully staffed, can't trust the people you work with, and then of course dealing with inmates all day. Is he interested in maybe going through the police academy instead?

Comment

What you said about them not being happy is why I would like for him to get the real story not what the recruiter is saying.

Not sure about the police department, he has never said.
      Last edited by Cur_Dog; 11-14-2018, 07:29 AM.

Comment

I used to work with a few people that worked for TDC and from the stories they told I would try and discourage him from going this route.

Comment

I spent a total of 12 years working for the state TDCJ. Inmates are generally not the problem. The state has lowered their standards so just about anyone can be employed. To say they don't get many qualified candidates is an understatement. But there are many dedicated men , and women doing a hard job for little pay. In my opinion unless it is a short term option, while going to school I would say no don't do it. The best thing that I ever did was leave the state, and go to work for the railroad.

Comment

Federal CO for 18 years here in Louisiana. If he wants to go that direction I would advise him to try and get in the Federal system. Lots of Fed institutions scattered throughout the state of Texas.

Comment

Federal

Comment

Retired after 21 years 8 months. It definitely is not for everyone. When i left it had gotten very political and can only imagine how much worse it is now. With that being said it is like any other job in that you get out of it what you are willing to put in.

Comment

I did state right out of high school, then military , and now here with the feds I love my job it's what you make of it and it's not the inmates that are the problem the staff you have to deal with!!

Comment

Originally posted by CRM_95 View Post
                    Not to discourage him, but I know a ton of CO's and very few of them are happy. At least the ones that work for the state. The main complaints I hear are never being fully staffed, can't trust the people you work with, and then of course dealing with inmates all day. Is he interested in maybe going through the police academy instead?
                    Never fully staffed, can't trust co-workers and not happy at your job is describing a large majority of the work forse in any line of work.

Comment

I started in 04 and left in 16 as a major. Worked over 8 farms from min to max. Id be glad to discourage him from going the state route. Feds aint much better but the pay may make it more bearable. Feel free to pm me his name and number.

Comment

And way better pay, and if he is mobile move around and make your way to the top to warden which is over 6 figures just more politics involved!!

Comment

Your wrong back in the game not anyone can be hired for the bop we have a standard unlike the state 70yr old co's come on

Comment

It’s like volunteering for a prison sentence...

Comment

Hey cur dog , tell your son to do a year for the state and then apply on usajobs.gov for the feds it's just getting your foot in the door

Comment

Working...
                              X