Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robert E. Lee High School offensive?

Folks,

The butthurt generation has hit the thriving metropolis of Tyler. An outsider that is not from Tyler, never attended the high school, never taught at the school, does not have kids that attend the high school started opposition to our high school name of Robert E. Lee. We all know who REL was, so I won't go into a history lesson.

Keep in mind that the other high school is named John Tyler High School, same person that the city of Tyler is named for.

Those wanting to change REL say it is because he was for slavery and was a Confederate. They won't swallow the fact that John Tyler also owned slaves. (hippocracy at it's finest).

REL was originally referred to as the Rebels. In 1968, it was changed to the Red Raiders. Now it's still named Robert E. Lee and says so on the sign but is now referred to as "Tyler Lee".

I (among the majority) are for NOT changing the name. It is part of our history. Robert E. Lee High School is part of MY history, class of '92

Both high school are about to undergo complete renovations. The cost of changing the name was not included in the budget. The estimated cost of changing BOTH names would be 1.8-2.1 Million dollars. Now, wouldn't that money better go to security at both schools?

I have called and emailed all school board members voicing my opinion on this. It was taken off the previous school board meeting agenda but was recently added to the upcoming agenda due to pressure from the "outsider" and a school board member's spouse.

Regardless of the name of the school, how would you feel if your high school were to be renamed? Would you feel that a part of your history was taken from you?

was wondering when they'd get around to Tyler....
    biggest issue they had in '86 was the kids drivin around town with confederate flags hanging off their trucks and kids from JT throwin rocks at them...

times they be a changin

Comment

Regardless of the name of the school, how would you feel if your high school were to be renamed? Would you feel that a part of your history was taken from you?
      Personally, no. I could care less about the name of my high school. I don't much live in the past when it comes to stuff like that. Sure I have some good memories of High School...

"All I'm saying is that if I ever start referring to these as the best years of my life - remind me to kill myself." - Randall 'Pink' Floyd

That being said, I hate it when people change stuff for contrived reasons.

Comment

It happened here in San Antonio.

Comment

My question is, when are we going to quit worrying about what people did 100+ years before we were even born?

Not saying forget or forgive people for the "bad" things they did, but quit apologizing for our ancestors actions we had no control over!

We should be worrying about our future instead of what was done in the past. (Not saying forget the past)

People today get so jacked up over trying to erase history and pretending it will make everything better, it's ridiculous!

Facts are:
          1. Confederate soldiers were revered in the South as Heroes.
          2. Slavery was bad... but at the time was legal.
          3. Changing the name of a school because the current name offends people is crazy...
          4. Lastly the name of the school will not cause the people that attend to follow in the footsteps of person it's named after....

Most importantly 1 - 2 million dollars to change the name of a school... that right there is reason enough to not even consider it! what a waste...

Comment

“I think it wiser,” the retired military leader wrote about a proposed Gettysburg memorial in 1869, “…not to keep open the sores of war but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife, to commit to oblivion the feelings engendered.”

“Lee believed countries that erased visible signs of civil war recovered from conflicts quicker,” Horn said. “He was worried that by keeping these symbols alive, it would keep the divisions alive.”

Comment

Just a nugget to ponder....

Would you expect surviving Jews and their children in Germany to attend Hitler HS or walk by statues of Gestapo soldiers? I once heard a man make this anology and it completely changed my mind on this issue. I am not personally offended by statues or building names, but i can't just poo-poo away someone else feeling tormented by confederate tributes

Comment

Originally posted by Da' Hitman View Post

Would you expect surviving Jews and their children in Germany to attend Hitler HS or walk by statues of Gestapo soldiers? I once heard a man make this anology and it completely changed my mind on this issue. I am not personally offended by statues or building names, but i can't just poo-poo away someone else feeling tormented by confederate tributes
                The comparison of Hitler or Nazi to anything confederate is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Da' Hitman View Post

Your comparison of Hitler to R.E.L. has many holes. Not comparable in any way, shape, or form.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                    Your comparison of Hitler to R.E.L. has many holes. Not comparable in any way, shape, or form.
                    While Slavery is not Genocide. It is absolutely an atrocity.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                      Slavery is not a "confederacy" thing.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                        Slavery is not a "confederacy" thing.
                        I agree, but it played a part in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by mev002 View Post
                          My question is, when are we going to quit worrying about what people did 100+ years before we were even born?
                          This stuff will NEVER end because much of the current, younger generation are fed liberal BS in school and they believe it. Actual history is not being taught because professors are allowed to share their personal opinions rather than the truth. Confront a tenured professor about the truth and you'll likely receive a failing grade for insubordination.

Kids today (16-25 yr olds) wanna be a part of "change" and will stand for anything that liberates them from the past. If someone feels "oppressed", left-wingers will jump on the band wagon to make sure their voice is heard regardless of what the facts are.

Comment

I guess you would be in favor on renaming all the things named Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, Madison, Adams, etc.....

Where does it stop? Its just so stupid that I can't believe this is a "thing".

Comment

“I think it wiser,” the retired military leader wrote about a proposed Gettysburg memorial in 1869, “…not to keep open the sores of war but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife, to commit to oblivion the feelings engendered.”

“Lee believed countries that erased visible signs of civil war recovered from conflicts quicker,” Horn said. “He was worried that by keeping these symbols alive, it would keep the divisions alive.”

The current people pulling crap like this along with the race baiters are the ones keeping the sores open. Most people could care less as it has zero impact on their daily lives but again it’s the tail wagging the dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X