Budget Bowfishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Budget Bowfishing

Got to go out and try out my new set up tonight. Its been a process putting together all this stuff on a grad student budget. Heres the system I am using. I hope it helps someone else get going without having to drop a couple grand. It may not be professional grade but it works and is pretty darn fun.

This is the boat I bought last year off craigslist. It had a couple holes in it but since its fiberglass it was really easy to patch and sand down to make it like new!

$150

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2131.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	24030764

Comment

Bought a trailer that was rusted out with no lights or registration. Stripped all the rust off and painted it with rust killer paint. Put on lights. Registered as homemade.

Trailer-$100
      Reg-$50
      Lights-$20

Name:	101_2746.JPG
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	24030765

Comment

Used some old hay pallets to make a little frame and connected to the front of the canoe with a wing nut on a bolt. Added two fog lights for a car from walmart. The lights came with most of the wiring I needed. I wish they would have added a few more inches so I could staple it to the frame all the way down but oh well. Ran the wires back to a switch on the back of the seat and added clips for the battery to make it easier to disconnect in a hurry if I need to. All connected to a marine trolling motor battery.

Battery-$58

Name:	101_2757.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	24030767

Name:	101_2758.JPG
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	24030768

Name:	101_2756.JPG
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	24030769
        Last edited by Felix40; 11-19-2011, 09:57 PM.

Comment

So far Ive run two 55 watt lights off this battery for about 3 hours at a time but they will go longer no problem. They are bright enough to put out a good 8 yard or so field of light. Adding two more lights would actually make it almost perfect. Im surprised how bright they are without running a generator.
          [ATTACH]286377[/ATTACH]
          Last edited by Felix40; 11-19-2011, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Made a reel out of a coffee can with a 2x4 screwed inside it. It kind of gives it a taper so that the front is bigger around and helps hold the line on a little bit. The line still has a tendency to fall off when you point it down for a long time. I added two bobby pins to the back of the can to clip the line under. Works pretty good and was pretty much free
            Attached Files

Comment

Went one time using the bow and saw a few small spotted gar. Only got a shot at one because they are so fast. Its pretty hard to shoot and paddle at the same time too

Name:	100_2132.JPG
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	24030777

Comment

Nice setup.

Comment

Decided to make a better/easier way to "shoot" fast with a paddle in one hand standing on a canoe seat. A trident sounded like a neat idea so I cut the prongs off of an old pitchfork and welded them together in a three prong shape Sharpened the tips and tried to add prongs but Im not nearly good enough of a welder to do anything that small. I went with the dremmel method and just cut backward slots in each barb along the whole length. Added to an 8 foot pvc handle. Works pretty good on these little guys. Hopefully I can find a place where there is actually some water to look for some bigger fish.

Name:	101_2762.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	24030778

Name:	101_2763.JPG
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	24030779

Name:	101_2778.JPG
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	24030780

Works pretty good on these little guys. Hopefully I can find a place where there is actually some water to look for some bigger fish.

Comment

I started shooting AMS retrievers a few years ago and I have a 808 Bowfisher reel that I dont use anymore. It was working fine when I quit using it, but it could probably use a cleaning and some oil. I also have the mount that screws into the stabilzer to go with it. You are welcome to have it if you want it.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1321763044038.jpg
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	24030781

Comment

id get that reel and stick some 200 pound fast flight line on it (around 9 dollars) then check craigslist for a older troller motor. Iv saw some old ones for under 40 bucks. good luck bud and you better watch it cause bowfishing is vary addicting!

Comment

Easttx-I really appreciate the offer. Thats what I like about tbh! It seems like there is always someone ready to help get you started. If I ever get into an area with bigger fish I will send you a message for sure! Im kind of attached to my little coffee can, even though it looks terrible, for now. From what I hear it won't be too much fun to reel in if I stick a 50 pounder though.

Ive been watching a little bit for a trolling motor. I havent seen exactly what I want yet but eventually I might have one. The beauty right now is that I can go over logs and through areas less than 8 inches deep where pretty much nobody else can fish.

Comment

Man felix i started bowfishing exactly the same way. I made a homemade reel out of 4" pvc. I had a 14 ft jon boat that i rigged up pretty much identical except that i built a deck. We moved up pretty quick to nicer reels and boats.

I haven't bowfished in a couple of years now. I have an ams reel with the strap on bracket, and you are welcome to borrow it indefinitely. I think you have my number. I'm off most of the rest of this month and the first part of the next so just text me if you want me to meet you in town with it or something. I also have a 3500 watt generator that you are welcome to use anytime that we arent using it at the deer lease. I bought it just for bowfishing back when i first started. It runs like a champ and starts on the first or second pull.

That's a good looking pig in your avatar. Is that recent? Off yalls property?

oh and i forgot, when i first started i was using an old aluminum riser bear td recurve. I didnt have a string for it so i would make them out of trot line. I'd have to let the bow stretch the string out real good before i knew where to tie the loop. I wrapped duck tape around the string to make it thick enough to nock an arrow on. They would last maybe 40 or 50 shots and i'd have to make a new one. Ah the good ole days!
                          Last edited by LeanMachine; 11-20-2011, 09:03 AM.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I have a trolling motor out in the barn. If we can get to you, you can have it. I'll look Monday night when I get home. Let me know if your interested.

Comment

Wow lots of awesome offers guys! I need to see how serious I want to get before I do too much.

Kyle-Yeah that hog is from our place. I got him in March I think. Just before I left for Colorado. Haven't even gotten a shot at one since I got back. And I can really see you using trot line for a bowstring lol. I have a spool of excell string material so I can probably make enough flemish strings to last my lifetime.

Comment

Working...
                              X