X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mtltx View Post
    You must not know chance love??
    You must not know Dan Lansford.

You may have missed the part where he has been making a living at it for 40 years. It's not a side job, it's a very successful business because he is that good.
    Last edited by Draco; 10-28-2014, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
      Bazinga!!!

Comment

You may have missed the part where he has been making a living at it for 40 years. It's not a side job, it's a very successful business because he is that good.
        Whoa whoa take it easy. It was clearly a joke. I'm familiar with his work.

Comment

I second Chance Love. I trusted him with a very important mount of mine and he came through big time. Amazing work. He now has a few more to mount of ours LOL. And hopefully some more soon!!

Comment

To the OP: In all honesty, price should be your last consideration. Just go to the different shops and compare work quality. Be sure to look closely at the mounts at the detail. Ask a lot of questions. Make your decision based on that.

Originally posted by Speedgoat View Post
            Not that, there are way more than three taxidermists who do good work. To make that statement was asinine. Money is the key to good taxidermy, for sure, but there are many who do good work for a fair price.
            "Asinine" is a pretty strong word. And yes, there are more than three guys who do good work. But out of the ones listed in this thread, I think the OP would need to lean heavily on these three. Some of the ones listed here, I have never heard of. It's possible that they could be turning out great work for all I know. Most guys are loyal to "their" taxidermist of choice, and I see that you are probably loyal to Glass. And that's perfectly fine. I have never met the man but I hear he is a nice guy. I am familiar with his work.

What is a "fair price"? And why do you get to decide what a "fair price" is? I'm not trying to get into a pissing match with you...it's just always intriguing to me when people think they know what someone should charge for their work.

I know Dan. I've known him a LONG time. There is nothing bad to say about the man. Has always been a great guy in my book. And I'm VERY familiar with his work. But you might not want to be so quick to judge those that do this as a "side job". Some of us that do this as a "side job" actually turn out more work than a lot of full-timers. And some of us have been successful at it for 20 years. Is that long enough?

Comment

Originally posted by pigstika1978 View Post
              Kieth York @ lost pines taxidermy in Red Rock tx
              Is he still in business? I tried calling him a bunch of times and I couldn't get he or Kim to return my calls. I don't think I made him mad or anything.

Originally posted by rbertman View Post
              Just because a person doesn't charge the going rate of 650.00 to 700.00 does not mean you want get quality I am doing shoulders for around 500.00 and i do them at my friends Taxidermy shop and he is not letting it go out looking like crap
              Your statement confuses me. If YOU are doing mounts at your friend's shop, but HE is not letting them out looking like crap ... you're not really doing the mount.

More often than not, if you find a cheap taxidermist he is either:
              1. New and trying to establish a clientele, and using low prices to draw in more people.
              2. Cutting corners by not tanning the capes.
              3. Doing crappy work and charging less because that's all he can get for it.

Every once in a while you will find a part timer that does good work and is cheap, but that is a 1 in 100 find.

Comment

Comal taxidermy in New Braunfels did an awesome job on my Illinois buck. Their studio is amazing too.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                  To the OP: In all honesty, price should be your last consideration. Just go to the different shops and compare work quality. Be sure to look closely at the mounts at the detail. Ask a lot of questions. Make your decision based on that.

"Asinine" is a pretty strong word. And yes, there are more than three guys who do good work. But out of the ones listed in this thread, I think the OP would need to lean heavily on these three. Some of the ones listed here, I have never heard of. It's possible that they could be turning out great work for all I know. Most guys are loyal to "their" taxidermist of choice, and I see that you are probably loyal to Glass. And that's perfectly fine. I have never met the man but I hear he is a nice guy. I am familiar with his work.

What is a "fair price"? And why do you get to decide what a "fair price" is? I'm not trying to get into a pissing match with you...it's just always intriguing to me when people think they know what someone should charge for their work.

I know Dan. I've known him a LONG time. There is nothing bad to say about the man. Has always been a great guy in my book. And I'm VERY familiar with his work. But you might not want to be so quick to judge those that do this as a "side job". Some of us that do this as a "side job" actually turn out more work than a lot of full-timers. And some of us have been successful at it for 20 years. Is that long enough?
                  I respect your opinion and your work first and foremost, however, by "fair price" I meant a respectable wage for the job being done. I am not a judge on a taxidermy panel, but some taxidermists will always be played up by sheer numbers. I think we are all partial to our own taxidermist.

Actually, the best mount that I have was done by Sulpher Creek Taxidermy in Lampasas. Of course, it was not what I would call affordable

as·i·nine
                  /ˈasəˌnīn/
                  adjective
                  adjective: asinine
                  extremely stupid or foolish.

"Lydia ignored his asinine remark"
                  synonyms:

stupid, foolish, brainless, mindless, senseless, idiotic, imbecilic, ridiculous, ludicrous, absurd, nonsensical, fatuous, silly, inane, witless, empty-headed;
                  Last edited by Speedgoat; 10-29-2014, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoot51 View Post
                    Top gun taxidermy in Holland,Tx. He is the best in the business imo.
                    ^^^^This^^^^
                    Randy and crew are bad arse!

Comment

This thread is getting hilarious!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                        This thread is getting hilarious!!!!
                        How so?

Comment

Originally posted by Speedgoat View Post
                          How so?
                          Lots of really good taxidermists out there. Lots of bad ones too.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                              Lots of really good taxidermists out there. Lots of bad ones too.
                              I have seen your work. I respect this statement.
                              Last edited by Speedgoat; 10-29-2014, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoot51 View Post
                                Top gun taxidermy in Holland,Tx. He is the best in the business imo.
                                Yep

Comment

Working...
                                X