You talking about tough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You talking about tough

Cresting on 1/4 inch shafts is really tough. My crester wouldn't turn them until I made some modifications. It still took some time to get everything right, but I think I got it now. Here are some arrows I just finished that will be presents for some kids....
    Attached Files

Lookin' good....as always, Derek!

Bisch

Comment

Looking good.

A question for you... What wood did you use for the shafts, and what do they generally spine at?

I have been using 1/4" Ramon Wood dowel for youth arrows, and they work. They are pretty durable too. BUT, getting anything to spine correctly for a 10lb bow at 14" draw has been futile. I have considered skinnier dowel, but the durability concerns me, so some kind of composite might be my next attempt.

Not that I expect perfection but seeing the arrows, including little kiddie arrows, fly pretty strait sure is gratifying.

Thanks,

Steve

Comment

Sweeeet! Those are some lucky kids!

Comment

Originally posted by Bones View Post
          Looking good.

A question for you... What wood did you use for the shafts, and what do they generally spine at?

I have been using 1/4" Ramon Wood dowel for youth arrows, and they work. They are pretty durable too. BUT, getting anything to spine correctly for a 10lb bow at 14" draw has been futile. I have considered skinnier dowel, but the durability concerns me, so some kind of composite might be my next attempt.

Not that I expect perfection but seeing the arrows, including little kiddie arrows, fly pretty strait sure is gratifying.

Thanks,

Steve
          Steve these are Poplar Pine but I've also used Ramon. Finding a spine for a 10lb is really tough and I doubt any of these would work either. Not sure what to tell you, I can run through some of the shafts I have and let you know if any will go that low. I buy them 48" long and cut them in half for a 24" arrow. Most of them spine in the 20-30 pound class, but there are a few that are lower.

Derek

Comment

Thanks, Derek. From experience, I figured that they would mostly spine in the 20-30lb range.

I was way off on stack guesstimate for my first attempt at a 36" R/D and it came in 30lb at 18"... 1/4" Ramon dowel cut 18" to BOP fly really good out of it

Steve
            Last edited by Bones; 11-25-2012, 11:10 AM.

Comment

This reminds me- I need more arrows.

Comment

Nice Derek.

Comment

Nice Arrows

Comment

Working...
                  X