Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on recurve setup...

Here's the plan, folks:

I've shot a compound for about two years now, 28" draw, 60-70lb draw weight as I worked my way up, but got pretty tired of hunting set after set and never seeing anything, so I traded my hunting bow for a rifle last weekend. For the moment, I'm done with bow hunting, but can see myself trying again in a few years when my kids are a little older.

I really enjoy shooting in the back yard for some escapism, therapy, fun, so here's what I'm going to do.

For now, I plan on making a pvc recurve per the instructions on this youtube video:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbLeRNUG4-Q"]Schedule 80 PVC Adult Recurve - YouTube[/ame]

I will set it up exactly like he did it, with a 28" draw and approx 55lbs draw weight. Everything I've researched about and learned up to this point has been about compound bows, and from what I've gathered so far, traditional shooting is a completely different animal.

My question is, for me to have any fun at all getting started, what spine weight of arrows will I need? I have Maxima Hunters and Mayhem Hunters 350s and figure they're way overspined. I also have a few Maxima Hunter 250s but guess they're overspined too.

I also have all kinds of broadheads that are all 100g, and a couple of Magnus Stingers that are 125, but I've read that you really need a lot of weight out front with a longbow or recurve, so what weight of points should I look for?

Like the title says, take me to school

My only advise is to start with around 40 pounds of draw weight. Worst mistake you can make in trad is starting with to much weight

Comment

I'm making my wife a bow too, with the white pvc schedule 40, that should be around 35lbs at 28". I'll practice with that one to start with, then, I guess. So what arrows for that bow? 35lb at 28"?

Comment

Get some .600 spine arrows and some points from 125- 175 and leave them full length. If you go to tradtalk accessory classifieds , grey squirrel has some CE 20/40 .600 for $60 a dozen. Great arrows for the money

Comment

I've made several PVC bows like this and 55lbs is pushing it. The highest I've got one is 43#. As far as arrows go I shoot gold tip traditionalist 3555 with 150 grain tips.

Ps. Don't leave your PVC bow on the dash of your truck. The sun will warp the heck out of it.

Comment

Anyone else? Or have I now learned everything I need to start?

Comment

Sounds like you've got the ambition and enough info to get started. For what it's worth you might try to shop around for a lightweight production recurve to learn on. I imagine it would be fun to build a pvc bow, but you'll probably lessen the learning curve of shooting trad by not turning it into a DIY project at the same time.

There's plenty of good information in the stickies, and if you do a google search for "acs bow tuning" you'll be able to find a very comprehensive set of documents that expound on tuning and some of the theory behind getting good arrow flight.

Good luck and welcome to the trad section of TBH!

Comment

Tactics, wind, scent control and stealth all play a part in being successful bowhunting. Trad gear really test your hunting abilities. Most trad shots are 20 yds or less with a preferred distance of 10-15 yds. If you're having trouble getting game within compound distances then you need to look at what you are doing wrong and fix it.
                When you do get a trad bow , start close , real close. Shoot until you are consistent hitting a small spot. Then move back a couple of yards and start over. It may take weeks or months to get to 20 yds but you will be ingraining muscle memory, and THAT will pay off in the end.
                Also , Don't be a snap shooter like the guy in the video. Get to full draw , solid anchor, focus on target, settle and release.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinpool View Post
                  Tactics, wind, scent control and stealth all play a part in being successful bowhunting. Trad gear really test your hunting abilities.
                  Thanks for the advice, fellas. Again, the only thing I'll be hunting with a bow for a few years will be my Rinehart out in the backyard...

Anyone else? Good stuff so far...

Comment

Working...
                  X