Tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuning

How does one go about "tuning" a traditional bow? My arrows tend to "fish tail" back and forth after shot. Any help?
    Last edited by rhouston; 09-20-2011, 11:17 AM.

Recurve or longbow?

Comment

I like paper tuning but you have to have a pretty clean release or it will give you fits. You can also bare shaft tune but I really don't know too much about that. When tuning trad bows (other than brace height and nock point) you are really not tuning the bow. You are tuning the arrow to the bow.

Bisch

Comment

Fish-Tail is usually a spine problem. Porpoising (Up and down) is a nock problem.
        Bisch is correct - you need to find the correct spined arrow for better flight!

Comment

On a recurve I bare sshaft tune until the bare shaft and fletched arrow hit the same location on the target.
          If the shaft is stiff I add weight until they are tuned. Once tuned I add broadheads (fletched arrows) and verify they are hitting with the field points.

Comment

If you give some specs as in, your actual draw length, bow poundage, desired overall arrow weight, these guys can get you real close.

Comment

I'm shooting a Bear Grizzly #50 recurve. My draw on a compound is 28" so I suspect on my recurve it is a little shorter i.e. 27 or so. I will be hunting with 125 gr Magnus 2 blade broadheads.

I would like to get my arrows around 10 grains per pound, as this is what I believe is recommended. I'm in the market for new arrows and will be getting some this weekend. Any recommendations for spine weight? I suspect I will also need to add weighted inserts to get me to my desired weight. Thanks for the replies so far.

Comment

I plugged a few numbers into the Stu Miller calculator and here is what I came up with:

If this is a current madel Grizzley then you shoul be able to use a .400 spine arrow(I used a black Gold Tip 55/75 for this calculation)(around 30" with 3 - 4" feathers) with a 100gr insert and a 125gr point. This would give you a total arrow weight of 488gr which would be just over 10gpp.

If it is an older model grizzley then you should be able to use a .500 spine arrow (I used a black Gold Tip 35/55 for this calculation) (around 29" with 3 -4" feathers) with a 100gr insert and a 125gr point. This will give you a total arrow weight of 480gr which again is just over 10gpp.

Bisch

P.S. - You really need to have your draw length measured so you know exactly what it is. A little bit off on the numbers in this calculator will throw everything off. If all the numbers entered are dead on then the calculator is usually really close to correct.
                Last edited by Bisch; 09-21-2011, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Thanks Bisch for all the help. I'll get measured this weekend. Is the 400 spine stiffer than the 500?

Comment

Originally posted by rhouston View Post
                    Thanks Bisch for all the help. I'll get measured this weekend. Is the 400 spine stiffer than the 500?
                    YES! The reason for the difference in the arrow is because of the design differences in the old Grizzlys vs. the new ones.

Bisch

Comment

Working...
                    X