hog trap help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hog trap help

looking to build a 8x4x4 rectangular hog trap. i was looking at tractor supply and was wondering if welded wire(48'x25') would work for the outside? what should the frame be built out of?
    any tips would help

Ive seen traps made from the square hog panels get broken out of. I wouldn't think the welded wired would be enough to hold a decent one.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix40 View Post
      Ive seen traps made from the square hog panels get broken out of. I wouldn't think the welded wired would be enough to hold a decent one.
      thats what mine are and mine have never been broken. been using em for 3 and 4 years now. caught lots of hogs with em. (well into the hundreds).

My next one (if I build one) will use some like 2" angle iron, and make the frame. then cut out the cattle panel to fit. you will have more surface to weld to...

Comment

here is one of em.

8x4x3
        Last edited by Redneck Archer; 02-13-2012, 04:24 PM.

Comment

i built mine with cattle panel and 1 1/2 angle iron

Comment

i built mine out of cattle panels and some scrap square tubing i already had

Comment

Ive built several using hog pannels and any scrap angle iron or square tubing I can find.

Comment

Can someone post pictures of the doors? I have one built up to the doors and cant decide which way to go with it.

Comment

here is two of mine.

let me see if I can find any more pics. of the two the one on the right (swing sideways style) has caught more.

although the other one has caught more than its fair share...

Last edited by Redneck Archer; 02-13-2012, 04:52 PM.

Comment

I'd suggest putting a floor in it. Otherwise, under the right conditions, they can root out...

I personally like the saloon-style door with a spring. Easier to set, keep open, etc.

I've tried grappling with the overhead, guillotine-type doors and they can be a pain to lift, hold, set, etc.

They're also not fun to crawl through knowing they're steel and weigh god-knows-what and might come down on your back, head, hand, foot, etc., etc....

Comment

sorry. that is all I cand find here at work.

the one on the left uses gravity. BUT, gate was pretty heavy. So I added cable and a few pullies, and a counter weight at the back side. the one on the right uses a descent size spring that you can see at the top of the gate to pull it back close. just adjust the tention to your liking...

Comment

I was considering the root through door but for some reason I keep going back to the swing door. Can more hogs enter after the door is tripped on both these setups? Will more enter the trap?

Comment

Originally posted by fritztown View Post
                          I'd suggest putting a floor in it. Otherwise, under the right conditions, they can root out...

I personally like the saloon-style door with a spring. Easier to set, keep open, etc.

I've tried grappling with the overhead, guillotine-type doors and they can be a pain to lift, hold, set, etc.

They're also not fun to crawl through knowing they're steel and weigh god-knows-what and might come down on your back, head, hand, foot, etc., etc....
                          I actually took mine out. caught more hogs like that. they did not like walking on the steal mesh that mine had on the bottom. it was akward when they stepped on it I guess. when the bottom was gone we caught allot more.

HOWEVER, the bigger ones would move it 20 yards or so. lol... the fix for that was t-posting all the corners (although we never had to) never caught one big enough to get the trap off him or herself...

let me know if you having any other Q's. Ill be glad to share what I know.

Comment

Originally posted by River_Hunter View Post
                            I was considering the root through door but for some reason I keep going back to the swing door. Can more hogs enter after the door is tripped on both these setups? Will more enter the trap?
                            Ive caught 9 in one trap at one sitting (yes. had 9 hogs in one trap at one time...)... the 9 were in the swing door trap.

I think we got 12 hogs that night (three in the other)...

Comment

like the swing door type had 11 and a small in one trap.
                              biggest problem is width any over 4 ft wide a big hog can and has turned over.

Comment

Working...
                              X