No announcement yet.

What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm afraid I find myself in the same situation as you. I had 4 mature does on my feeder everyday and 1 mature buck there sometimes during daylight. I want the buck obviously but I also want some deer meat while it's there, especially since I get married right at peak rut time (thanks to my fiance) and will only get to hunt one weekend during the rut. I'm afraid if I take a doe the others won't stick around during the rut with so many other food sources near by.

Comment

Don’t go messin’ with them ratchet does!
      Only one buck for you, Mr. playa!
      Attached Files

Comment

Randy, if I'm in a situation like that, I would hunt him only under the right circumstances, wind, weather, etc. I probably would not worry about killin does on the ENTIRE PLACE, but if you have him "somewhat" pinned down to an area, I wouldn't shoot my does in THAT AREA. If your huntin place isn't big enough to have an area where you might take an early doe without disturbing him, then I would just hunt him. Just remember, huntin a wise ol sucker like that, don't hunt him without having the cards in your favor.. Right wind, only in the morning, only in the evening, etc. Just about the BEST way to hunt a deer like that, is do all you can to NOT let him know he's being hunted. I've got one like him I'm after this year too, so I know what you're talking about. I always err to the side of not hunting at all, no matter how much you're dying to, than to hunt him under the wrong set of conditions. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

I hear ya! I've decide to only hunt does on some public land and I'm staying out of there till the rut gets here. I'm only going in about every 4-5 days to hand corn and only doing that when the wind is right and in the middle of the day! Taking GarGuy's advice and I'll only hunt him when he starts to show in the daylight!

Comment

Also, I know this is cliche, but it is true... Midday may be the just the time to get him, especially towards November/into the rut. I do a lot of "all day sits" starting from the end of October- end of deer season. Even though I have been doing this for a long time, it still kinda surprises me how much action I get during the middle of the day! Don't know why it always surprises me though, I mean, that is why I hunt from daylight till dark.. To catch some midday movement. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

I was brought up learning to take the old does early, during bow season, giving the younger ones less competition for breeding during the early rut. Honestly can't say if that's the "best" way, but back home in Alabama we always had fantastic deer. We just didn't have the numbers like we have here in the Hill Country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X