Kids and funerals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kids and funerals?

At what age do y'all think kids should attend funerals? As y'all know, my father will be passing soon and I'm not sure about my granddaughter attending the funeral. She is 11yrs old. I think I went to my first one at age 7 but not sure. Times are different than they used to be.

I went to my first one when I was almost 5. It was my dad.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
      At what age do y'all think kids should attend funerals? As y'all know, my father will be passing soon and I'm not sure about my granddaughter attending the funeral. She is 11yrs old. I think I went to my first one at age 7 but not sure. Times are different than they used to be.
      Shes old enough IMO. I took my 14 and 11yo daughters to my brothers service in October. They are not easy at any age.

Comment

If she is mature enough, she should go to say goodbye to her grandfather.

Comment

If the kids are old enough to sit fairly still, and they have an understanding of what death and the process is, then take them.

I would think yours is plenty old enough

Comment

My wife and I each lost grandmothers in the past year. Both our kids went to the funerals. 5 and 7.

My wife's grandmother got sick and declined fairly quickly over 2 months. My kids were around her a lot during that time. I want to say that there was some closure with the kids. They were very appropriate and actually ask a lot of good questions. They offered some needed humor at times as well.

Comment

Every child is different so it would really need to be a good call on the parents part. My wife's side of the family is very big. It seemed, for a while, like we were going to a funeral every 4 to 6 months. If it wasn't for funeral's my son would not have met most of them. It also set a sense of urgency on his part to get us out visiting before others passed away before he met with them.

Comment

We buried my Father last August and my son who was 7 at the time was there, he fully understood what was going on.

Comment

Absolutely she should go IMO!

Times have changed, but doesn't mean we humans HAVE to

Comment

Some kids take funerals different than others. They are a part of life, so using the experience to teach them some things about life doesn’t seem like a bad idea.

My kids have been to a couple. They did fine...I think they were kinda like flys on the wall just observing others and their emotions. That seemed to be the hardest part for them...seeing others cry and grieve for their loved one.

Skinny

Comment

No age is to young. Kids should know that people don't live forever. That being said I also think kids should be talked to about it before hand.

Comment

I was the last grandchild to see my paw paw alive. There was no way I was not attending his funeral I was 9 years old at the time.

I think you should explain to her what is happening and ask her if she wants to be there.

Comment

I say let the child decide, my grandfather passed when I was 10, even though I knew the life/death process, a funeral was something I’d never experienced. Never wanted to go to another one, still don’t.

Comment

She's old enough IMO.

Prayers sent for you and your family Randy. It's a tough pill to swallow.

Comment

Just had my grandmothers funeral yesterday, there was no filter on what age of kids were or weren't brought. I don't think it's something to hold kids out of.

Comment

Working...
                              X