• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My fridge smoker build

I just started mine. So far it's been a fun project. He are some pics

Nice!

Comment

Last night I picked up some new insulation so the reinsulation, along with removing paint from fridge body will be my next step.

Comment

I will be watching this one!

Comment

I have been looking for an old metal fridge to do the same project.

Subscribed.

Comment

I started stripping the paint off the body last night. After an hour and a half i had 1 side done. That's some stout paint! I have a guy building some cooking grates out of expanded metal for free. I will post a list of parts soon for anyone that is interested. As far as finding a fridge goes, good luck. It took me a few months to find one but i got it for free.

Comment

I have an freezer that was flooded in Ike that finally bit the dust and I had hoped to do something like this. My problem is that I have let it sit outside for a while in the elements but no real issues so to speak with rust or anything. Would this still be a good candidate for a smoker project?

Comment

As long as the inside isn't rusted it should be fine. Throw away the shelving. It's coated with bad stuff. Make sure the insulation is ok. If it's foam insulation, remove and replace with fiberglass or something similar.

Comment

will be. watching for the finish

Comment

Looks like a great idea.

Comment

Old fridges make good smokers. Here a thread on mine.

Comment

It's been a while since I was able to work on the project but finally got all that old paint off. Drilled a hole for the air intake. I'll be using a nipple, collar and gate valve. Started cutting for the exhaust. I'll be using a nipple and collar. I'm going to weld a nut on the collar so I can use a bolt and spring for the flow restrictor. Also picked up my heating element, 1500 watt stovetop burner, and sheetmetal to cover the door insulation. I will be buying my PID controller from Auber Instruments along with the thermocouple for strict temp management. Getting close now. I'll take more pics soon.

Comment

I finally ordered all my electronics from Auberins.com yesterday. I got a PID controller, 25a solid state relay, heatsync, thermocouple and housing. Once i wire it to the burner it should hold any set temp +/- 1 degree. I'm finishing the exhaust this weekend and installing the insulation and burner. Getting closer.

Comment

I got my controller box wired up. I'm waiting on my 110v 1500 watt burner to come in before I reassemble and paint. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352640448.254989.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	24139074Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352640465.005169.jpg
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	24139075Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352640487.885472.jpg
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	24139076