No announcement yet.

protein. A testament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great pics and write up! I have that copy of TTH mag on my counter right now. I haven't read the story yet, but wish it could have been you on the cover!

Comment

This season, he BOOMED! He didn't get his trash back, but he had the best frame that we've seen. I saw him twice at fairly close range and he was IMPRESSIVE, especially when you consider where he was the year before. He didn't get his 5's back and he has to get his trash back, but he's gone into the off season in great shape, he wasn't a lady's man this past season, and he continues to eat protein. We hope to see lots of Antlermax go down his throat. As of March, he was still eating. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next 6 months. Hopefully, another testament to protein.

Click image for larger version

Name:	feeder 07.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	23832673

Click image for larger version

Name:	feeder 08.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	23832674

Comment

When are you going to write your book?

Tuthdoc for most informative post award...

Comment

I wish it too, but I was there when he shot him. I got to see him grow and had a part in growing him. PLUS, he didn't cost me anything. LOL

Comment

Tuthdoc, I finally read the article. It was a great write up, looks like all the photos in the magazine (except the cover) were from your game cams. At least he did mention you and the other guys on the lease several times and did sound appreciative of your help in the article. I would have charged him a drivers fee as it sounds like you dropped him off the morning he harvested MLD.

Comment

Tuthdoc, I love your stories and learn from them. I have a small place I hunt in East Texas I started to use antlermax and made a little feeder for them. So from reading your post I need to make more than one and put I out some where eles on the place? Thanks again for your pic. and knowlege of deer and the things to do to make them grow bigger and better.

Comment

Keith is a good guy and a better hunter. He thinks like a rifle hunter and sometimes it's best to think like a sneaky bowhunter. This time he did and it paid off.

My brother had put up the tripod he killed the deer from. (Miss Kota would kill me for ending a sentence with a preposition) It was overlooking a big mesquite flat and had a fence line that only Ranger's could traverse. We had been corning the fenceline and flat for some time. It was between two of his favorite pens. I sat the tripod the day before to scout for the deer and too see if the Pot Belly Pig was using the flat also. Once the big deer was dead, I was going to move in and kill the Pig. (I moved in, had him at about 14 yards, but didn't kill him. Another story LOL) Right before dark, I was watching the Pig move toward the fence across the flat, trying to decide if I wanted him or not. When he got to the fence, DANG, the big buck was feeding at less than 50 yards. All I could do to not pee my pants.

We arrived at a plan. Since we had been using the Rangers to feed the area, the plan was for me to drive Keith into the area in my Ranger and drop him at the tripod. Then, I'd drive around the flat and feed while he climbed in the stand. Perfect cover. After I fed, I left the area. He said I wasn't out of sight when the big deer popped out of the brush and started eating. Rest is history. Love it when a plan comes together.

Stories? ME? Back me up Jaspro. I think I'm getting a bad reputation as a long winded story teller. LOL

Bohunter, the only reason to stop protein or to feed less is financial. I say feed as much as you can afford. Add one. I'd add one in Mailman's area on our lease, but the two I have are breaking me. LOL Hopefully the rain we just had at our lease will green things up and slow them down. 326/ton at almost 100 lbs/day out of the two is a killer. LOL

Comment

Great stories! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

That's impressive!

Comment

nice bucks...thanks for sharing

Comment

Working...
                      X