Coyotes in Kerr County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coyotes in Kerr County

Anyone ever see Coyotes in the Kerr County area? Specifically around the Kerrville area?

I've hunted in the area for years and have only seen one once. I've never heard them either. Kind of surprised me that I don't see or hear more.

I used to hear them all the time when I lived up near Mo Ranch in west Kerr. Had them in the draw below my house once evening. They were close. I killed one at Kerr WMA one year during the antlerless draw hunt.

Comment

I’ve killed a couple in Mt Home at our lease. They don’t talk like in S Texas that’s for sure.

Comment

If it's like a little farther west, the sheep and goat ranchers keep them thinned out by poison, trapping or shooting. Hated with a vengeance.

Comment

There’s coyotes everywhere lol. Ranchers hammer them in those areas though.

Comment

We don't get them much out in Harper, but like Deja said...My friend owns a large high fence op in Mountain Home and he gets yotes and hogs that bust into his ranch and he despises 'em with a passion. Does all he can to eradicate.
            I have many hours sitting for Axis along the Guadalupe in Kerrville and have never seen a yote there.

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
              Anyone ever see Coyotes in the Kerr County area? Specifically around the Kerrville area?

I've hunted in the area for years and have only seen one once. I've never heard them either. Kind of surprised me that I don't see or hear more.
              Not seeing or hearing coyotes is not a bad thing.....trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                If it's like a little farther west, the sheep and goat ranchers keep them thinned out by poison, trapping or shooting. Hated with a vengeance.

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I can tell you as this area has become broken up into smaller tract ranchettes and there is less and less sheep and goat production I have noticed a significant increase in coyotes over the last ten years. We kill several a year in and around kerrville

Comment

Live off Lower Turtle Creek and heard a pack howling last night while outside about 830pm

Comment

Never saw or heard any in Sterling City. I was told it was b/c of the sheep and goat ranchers

Comment

One of my ranchers, has zero sheep and goats yet still has a government trapper putting out poison, never seen a coyote in Kendall county or kerr in 45 years

Comment

I've seen them around Center point live and on trail cams. They are out there.

I shot one a few years ago with my bow. He had the back half of a fawn in it's mouth.

Comment

That was sheep and goat country for the last 100 years and yes, the ranchers poison, trap, snare, fly and call to try to keep the coyotes out. My Great Uncle, A. E. Outlaw was contacted by Charles Schreiner back in the '30s to bring his hounds and catch the last two coyotes off the Y. O. It seems that this pair was so smart that they would not eat anything that they didn't kill and would not go into a snare or step on a trap.
                            Mr. Outlaw caught the female fairly easy when the dogs struck off a fresh sheep kill. The male was a different animal as he had a lot more stamina and would go to rough and rocky terrain and run the dogs down. After getting outrun on several occasions, Mr. Outlaw went to Mr. Schreiner and told him that if he would buy two hounds out of OK that he knew, that he was sure he could catch the coyote. Mr. Schreiner agreed to do so and the dogs arrived by rail from OK.
                            These Okie dogs were so bred to run that they would not catch but with the help of these dogs, Mr. Outlaw caught the last coyote on the Y. O. and Mr. Schreiner gave the Okie hounds to him as part of his compensation.
                            Now you know the rest of the story....
                            Adios,
                            Gary

Comment

We never heard or saw them at our place in Junction. From what I understand, they did a pretty fair amount of eradication for the sheep and goat ranches. Man I miss hunting with sheep....

Comment

Working...
                              X