7mm08 vs 308 in a short barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7mm08 vs 308 in a short barrel

so I picked up that model 7 cheap. I would like to build a lightweight compact gun out of it potentially threaded. I am wanting a 16 to 18 inch barrel. most likely 18. which one would be best for this type build

I am a 7mm-08 fan. But I’d do a .308 for a short barrel

Comment

Probably 308 based on bullet weight. Here’s a good read:

Comment

Comment

If I went short barrel, I wouldn’t go lightweight, but heavier barrel. Short and light is hard to shoot at distances imo.

Comment

Agree- 308 will do a nice job out of a 18-20" (even 16") with 165gr +when compared to a lighter bullet. A lot of KE inside 400yrds.

Good read: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-308-bolt-gun/

Comment

I actually own a TacOps Tango 51 and that thing is NASTY! it’s boring to shoot because it’s so accurate. Really makes me hate some of my other guns!

But a 20 inch barrel on it makes it handy. If you go shorter go 18 not 16 IMO. And yes shorter but stouter profile gets my vote as well.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

7-08 out of the 20” sporter profile barrel on my daughters rifle shoots ½ MOA. 140gn Berger over H4895

I don’t suppose another couple of inches would make much difference.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Comment

I have a 16.5 inch Hart heavy barrel .308 shoots 150 gr Sierra full case of Varget .25 to .4 it's not real finicky I can also shoot 125 gr and 165 gr bullets. So .308 gets my vote.

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                      I actually own a TacOps Tango 51 and that thing is NASTY! it’s boring to shoot because it’s so accurate. Really makes me hate some of my other guns!

But a 20 inch barrel on it makes it handy. If you go shorter go 18 not 16 IMO. And yes shorter but stouter profile gets my vote as well.

Sierracharlie out…
                      The Weatherby 308 H-BAR RC has my attention right now. Really want a stout, 20" 308. Reminds me a lot of the TacOps 51. Could have been it's inspiration...?

Last edited by Gherkin05; 01-31-2018, 10:37 PM.

Comment

I’ll have to look at that Winchester I don’t recall it. That 20 inch barrel it might be may favorite all around platform in a 308.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

The differences between them in short barrels is the same as the differences between them in long barrels. The optimal powders in both are not slow burning to the point where 16 vs. 22 will matter.

Comment

.308 because it is more underbore than the 7mm-08. Put another way, the .308 is the same amount of powder going down a bigger bore. In reality, Balcones Walker's answer is correct: it just won't really matter. I'd be more concerned with getter the barrel short to the point where the balance of the rifle is messed up.

LWD

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X