Question about Living in an RV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Living in an RV

My fiancé suggested that rather than renting an apartment we should get an RV. On paper, it seems like we would be saving a ton of cash each month and at the end of the day we would have something tangible that we own. I am 24 and she is 23.

My question is ... Has anyone decided to purchase and live in an RV full time rather than renting an apartment each month? What were your expectations prior to making the move and was it what you’d thought it would be?

Did you actually save as much money as you thought you would? Do you have any recommendations?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to factor in repairs as RV/trailers, something is always broken. Also, depreciation is terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
      You need to factor in repairs as RV/trailers, something is always broken. Also, depreciation is terrible.
      And build an outdoor shower
      Those things are small. I lived in a camper for a year by myself many moons ago. It was not bad, i also lived in one a couple years ago with my wife and 2 kids........it was terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post

But would you rather have an RV or an apartment?

Comment

no personal experience but if you are going to do it, young with no kids would be a proper time in my mind. I think I would put my money into the size of the unit instead of the finishings in order to make it more comfortable. If you can get a 38' that is not top of the line for the same price as a top of the line 30' then I would go with the 38'. If I didn't have kids I would seriously consider it as I don't mind paying my mortgage, but paying outrageous amounts of money to the tax appraisal district on top of what I actually owe on my home is a complete rip off.

Comment

Originally posted by Bkvill View Post
            But would you rather have an RV or an apartment?

for depreciations sake the RV, eating the depreciation is better than eating the full rent payment every month that you never get anything out of in the future

Comment

At your age, I'd go with apartment as repairs will be on complex, not you. Save and buy a home.

Comment

One thing about it, if you don't like your neighbors, you can just up and move in a few minutes.

If you don't require a lot of stuff, then I'd say go for it. The cost of an apartment today is through the roof!(Highway robbery)

Comment

Buy two small campers, cause you are going to be run out of the one she stays in plenty of times. Might as well have a comfy place to go when that happens

Comment

Make sure you have a nice outdoor area set up. You will get cramped...

Comment

Do you have a time frame in mind?? If not, it's something that needs to be considered. My advice would be to actually sit down and really work out the numbers to see if it really makes sense. Have you folks considered a duplex? You could live in one side and rent the other to greatly offset the mortgage payment. At some point, you would really have something tangible down the road.
                      Last edited by Pedernal; 10-03-2017, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Sounds like people like giving money to a landlord. Has anyone actually done what I’m talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                          Do you have a time frame in mind?? If not, it's something that needs to be considered. My advice would be to actually sit down and really work out the numbers to see if it really makes sense. Have you folks considered a duplex? You could live in one side and rent the other to greatly offset the mortgage payment and really have something tangible down the road.

8-10 months.

Comment

Don't forget about storage, more than likely you will need a place to store your extra stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                              Do you have a time frame in mind?? If not, it's something that needs to be considered. My advice would be to actually sit down and really work out the numbers to see if it really makes sense. Have you folks considered a duplex? You could live in one side and rent the other to greatly offset the mortgage payment and really have something tangible down the road.
                              Great advise - figure out how much $ you need to save monthly and for how long in order to have the down payment/closing cost funds that you need to buy your home. That way there is a finish line out there in front of you in your minds going into living in the smaller quarters. I would think that would help on those days when you/your wife are not digging the tight quarters living.

Comment

Working...
                              X