No announcement yet.

Success South West of Dallas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was leaning out and waiting, hoping he'd come back. He had spent a lot of time at this feeder over the last several years. I was betting he'd not be bothered much by the feeder. I was right. I saw him circle back behind the feeder, go under the fence and start eating.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01345.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	23861547

Years ago, I would have killed him pretty quickly. He stayed in that 25 to 28 yard distance that I wanted my deer to be in. It's where I practiced. Now, I won't hardly shoot 20 yards. He went back and forth. About the time I would think he'd come close enough and give me a shot he'd quarter in and then go chase a buck or doe from the pen. Back and forth. I finally turned the camera off and just watched him.

Name:	DSC01347.JPG
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	23861548

Name:	DSC01349.JPG
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	23861549

Name:	DSC01351.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	23861550

Finally, he came into the 15 yard range and started to turn broadside. I left the camera on and paid it no more attention. If I got it on video that was fine. I was going to shoot at the first opportunity no matter the camera.

Name:	DSC01352.JPG
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	23861551

I had a second problem. I have a Texas Blindfold out my east window. I had a couple does and fawns eating there. One old doe just stood and stared at the blind. Never spooked, but just stared. I was worried that when I drew, she might catch movement, spook, and run FYB off. I had that problem rememdied by a young buck. He made a run at the does and scattered them. When he did, FYB took a look and turned that way. I drew.

Comment

your killing me

Comment

Great writeup John bring the rest of it

Comment

Very nice pics Doc. What an adventure!

Comment

The deer was now broadside, or slightly quartering away. He had taken a step and almost got off camera, ALMOST. I had a 3 blade Rage on my Maxima 250. I was drawn. Triggered the release and let the 82nd work and the Rage eat! I can't do video, so it'll be frame by frame.

Name:	DSC01355.JPG
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	23861552

Name:	DSC01356.JPG
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	23861553

Name:	DSC01357.JPG
Views:	2
ID:	23861554

Name:	DSC01358.JPG
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	23861555

You can see the hole appear and the arrow behind the deer after it blew through him.

Name:	DSC01362.JPG
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	23861556

He ran and crashed about 50 to 75 yards. I got the camera moved as he got up. He crashed again.

Name:	DSC01364.JPG
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	23861557

Name:	DSC01367.JPG
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	23861558

He got up

Name:	DSC01368.JPG
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	23861559

Crashed headfirst and almost flipped. I thought he broke his neck. Then he was out.

Name:	DSC01369.JPG
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	23861560

Name:	DSC01371.JPG
ID:	23861561

Name:	DSC01372.JPG
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	23861562

I'm pumped. I figure him to be a couple inches either side of 150. I know he's at least 5 1/2. I made one change to my hunt and it paid off. I sat until dark and videoed a few more deer. I knew he was down, but we kind of have a rule. At dark, I went to him and laid hands on him.

Comment

Great pic's. You can see the arrow on the ground after the pass through before the deer has even really moved much. Unbelievable

Comment

Great story John, looking forward to the rest of it

Comment

very nice, congrats

Comment

Great deer, great pics, great story - Congratulations!

Comment

Check out the hole that 3 blade made. You could see the blood pouring out in the crash pics. Dang, what a broadhead.

Name:	rage 3 with FYB.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	23861564

Here are the LDP's. I didn't get any daylight pics. Had to get him on ice. If you don't like Tailgate pics, then turn your head. You can see that Mailman had some success that same evening. He'll tell his tale himself.

Name:	bow ldp fyb.jpg
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	23861565

Name:	FYB LDP.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	23861566

Name:	ldp fyb.jpg
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	23861567

Name:	tailgate fyb.jpg
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	23861568

We had one more day. Matt had to get his tires midday Wednesday, so we were going to stay and hunt Wednesday night so he could have max time to kill his buck, as thi would be his only trip until doe season. I kid him about the 500 dollar day lease he's on.

Name:	tailgate FYB and matt cull.jpg
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	23861569

Comment

awesome tuthdoc...if you want to come over here to Hempstead to my office this week I will edit and upload your videos...looks to be awesome footage. I would love to shoot the bull and here the stories in person.

Comment

May have to take you up on that. Probably wait until I kill my 12 on the Junco. (Notice the positive attitude. LOL) Give you lots of video to work with. LOL. You may even see some bucks that no one else sees. Real slobber makers.

Comment

Great buck,thanks for taking us along on the hunt,congrats

Comment

Great write up, as usual! Congrats on both of your South West of Dallas bucks and good luck on getting the 12 you're after...

Comment

I had him come in again. He came in looking for a fight and didn't stay. He pushed an old cull 8 out of the area and didn't return. I thought it was going to be 3 for 3 that week. I don't guess I can conplain though.

Comment

Working...
                                X